If I buy a mic, can I just plug it into a guitar/bass amp and have it sound alright? Or is there a certain mic amp I should check out.

There isn't any gear section about mics and singing in this forum...
That's because It's a guitar site.
I'm sure it will work if you plug in, but if it'll sound nice is a bit of a guess...
Make sure you check if the mic needs phantom power or not. If it does, you're going to have to get a phantom power adapter, they aren't too expensive though. As far as plugging it into the amp, for practice it's not too much of a problem, but when it comes to performing, you'll want a PA system.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
into a guitar amp it shouldnt sound to band as long as you dont have the treble up high in a bass amp it will sound very deep and lower than normal.
mics are designed to go striaght into a pa system and not through an amp but it shouldnt do any real damage to either amp
You'll most likely get hella feedback.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
It won't damage anything, as crackhutch said, check if it needs phantom power, but a vocal mic probably won't.

It won't sound particularly wonderful though, look into getting a PA system for it.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.