Hey there, I've just joined the forums (I was lurking around for a while but now I need to ask a question!).

Anyway, I've started learning to play electric guitar about 3 months ago. I'm mainly learning songs from guitar pro tabs and also practising scales. The style of songs I like to play are '77 style punk, rage against the machine, grunge (soundgarden, nirvana, and a bit of alice in chains) and also stuff like guns n' roses and hendrix

My amp is a Fender Frontman 25R, and I own a (copy) les paul made by 'gear4music'.

Now my question is: What gear should I buy from here? I need to buy a case soon, but I was also thinking about pedals. The other day I went into a store and tried out loads of boss pedals which I liked (I liked the boss metal zone one, but I don't like to play metal so found the £85 a bit of a waste if I was going to buy this).

So I'd like a pedal which sounds like slash's solo's and also maybe one that sounds a bit like hendrix (but mainly would interested in slash's). So what pedal is affordable and sounds a bit like slash's sound? And also, when I buy the pedal, is there anything else I need for it to work? (like wires, batteries, etc.)

Like I said, I'm a newbie, so if you use any terminology please explain! Thanks!

p.s: Any ideas on a cheap, hard case, that holds les pauls and where to get one online? I'm not bothered about a brand of a case just as it looks alright, is hard, and will hold my guitar!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
if your happy with your guitar and amp, maybe some pedals?

That's what I'm asking any ideas on pedals?
The frontmann isn't a really good amp, and you will never get Slash solo sounds out of it, so I would buy a better amp first. And stay away from Boss pedals, there is much better stuff for the same price
Quote by dotheFlop

So I'd like a pedal which sounds like slash's solo's and also maybe one that sounds a bit like hendrix (but mainly would interested in slash's). So what pedal is affordable and sounds a bit like slash's sound? And also, when I buy the pedal, is there anything else I need for it to work? (like wires, batteries, etc.)

Sounds like you want a wahwah pedal (literally makes guitar go Wah!). Don't get a behringer one, its just not worth it (cheap but bad).

Most pedals use 9v batteries, though some can be powered by a power pack, you'd need another cable (like the one that plugs your guitar into your amp) to connect guitar->pedal->amp.

Edit: As wahwahs go, you might want to look at a dunlop crybaby (they do slash/hendrix signature wahwahs!), a vox or a Morley. These tend to get decent reviews.
Last edited by EL2T at Mar 22, 2009,
For what it is worth, I wouldn't worry too much about pedals yet. That is great that you want to improve your sound after playing only 3 months, but as others have said, I would start saving for a better amp first. Your choices for an amp are huge, not sure how much you want to spend, but you should be able to get some decent tube amps in the couple hundred pound range if you buy used.
Quote by EL2T
Sounds like you want a wahwah pedal (literally makes guitar go Wah!). Don't get a behringer one, its just not worth it (cheap but bad).

Most pedals use 9v batteries, though some can be powered by a power pack, you'd need another cable (like the one that plugs your guitar into your amp) to connect guitar->pedal->amp.

So all I need is a 9v battery and another amp lead?

Also, what make would you recommend then? I'm not looking for the most expensive, or the least expensive- Something in between that will last me some time

Quote by Sguit
The frontmann isn't a really good amp, and you will never get Slash solo sounds out of it, so I would buy a better amp first. And stay away from Boss pedals, there is much better stuff for the same price

I'm happy with my amp atm, maybe I won't get the exact sound, but I just want something relatively similar. Also this amp was the best for me at the time and price range I had to spend. Why not boss? Everyone I've asked so far said that boss is good
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
if your happy with your guitar and amp, maybe some pedals?

very clever!!!

well, maybe if you want to get slash's tone, first of all, you should try getting a similar EQ (means Equalization, the bass mids and treble knobs of your amp.) as his.
try the NEWER ultimate settings thread (it's a sticky, so you'll find it easily) in this forum, it will get you an idea.

and, for pedals, i would recommed you to buy a wah wah pedal, like the Dunlop crybaby wah, that would be the top of the line wah pedal. if it is too excpensive try a cheaper wah pedal, as slash uses it quite frequently.

hope this helps.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by dotheFlop
So all I need is a 9v battery and another amp lead?

Also, what make would you recommend then? I'm not looking for the most expensive, or the least expensive- Something in between that will last me some time

I'm happy with my amp atm, maybe I won't get the exact sound, but I just want something relatively similar. Also this amp was the best for me at the time and price range I had to spend. Why not boss? Everyone I've asked so far said that boss is good

Boss is good, but lots of other brands are at least as good but cheaper. Look at my original post dude, the pedals I've recommended are fairly mid price, that's why I reccomended them and not the behringer ****. Look round on youtube for review vids, if you want to hear how they sound.
Quote by Sguit

he's been playing for 3 months and he didn't ask for an amp, he asked for pedals.
gee, peopl. when someone asks for advice, give him what he wants. if someone wants a banana, will you give him an apple because you like it better?

anyways. For a wah, you can get a crybaby because I think that's what slash and jimi use (or used). If I were you, I'd get a power adapter with any pedal because if you don't well you'll have to buy loads of batteries. You can get some adapters that can plug like 5 pedals together for 50 bucks, that's 10 bucks/pedal, the price of a battery that would last a month.
As for pedal models, well everyone has a boss DS-1 somewhere, if you want a distortion, that's always a cheap possibility. You can also get an electroharmonix big muff for fuzz, which is kind of a distortion where the knob goes until 35, it can supposedly give you a good hendrix tone.
As people suggested, you can go for a wah, since both slash and hendrix use(d) it a lot. I don't know which model exactly since I don't listen to them, but the basic crybaby is the cheap alternative, I don't know much about the rest, I have the 535Q and I love it, very versatile.
As el2t said, don't get a behringer because it's just terribly made. However, if you don't need a high quality pedal and just want to try an effect, you can always purchase one for 30 bucks. I was told, although it might be wrong, that the behringer delay sounds just like the boss dd-3.
The problem isn't just sound with Behringer, it's build quality as well, too many just fall to pieces.
^this
they are made of plastic, which is why you should only use them for recreational purpose

edit: their bypass is horrible too. I'm not that much of a tone freak, but that guitarist had a behringer tuner that he used live, and I could hear it sucking his tone like a hooker with no more cash in her pocket.
Last edited by Darkflame at Mar 22, 2009,
Thanks to everyone who's posted so far I appreciate the help!

When I was in a store the other day, I asked the guy to setup some behringer pedals but he told me to use boss instead due to them being alot better. Which I agree with, I'd rather buy an expensive pedal than a cheap pedal because an expensive pedal is definitely going to pay off in the long run.

Sometime in the near future I'll probably try out the boss DS-1 and the boss SD-1 and see what they're like. They sound quite promising. I'll also be sure to try out the Dunlop CryBaby Wah Pedal which seems quite cheap considering the respect it seems to have with all them guitarists!
the boss ds-1 will give you a nirvana sound, kurt used one for a while
the boss sd-1 won't give you great results, it's an overdrive, it's got a very low gain and is meant to boost tubes in your amp. In short, you don't want too much volume in a modeling amp because it'll crack the sound, but you want it in a tube amp because tubes cracking sound beautiful.
Also, keep in mind that there are a lot of crybaby pedals. Most famous guitarists use higher end pedals, if you get the standard one for 80 bucks, you won't have a tone as good as others.
Remember as well that the boss pedals are... well I don't wanna say anything because some people here love them. but honestly, you can do better. They are mostly digital (i think they don't have any analog pedal actually) and don't sound too good, I never understood why people who love em that much actually do. I tried a lot of them and never liked what I got. they don't even look good. Before you buy a pedal, try the equivalent effect from as many brands you can. If the boss one is the one you like the most, then go with it. Most brands add a certain colors to their pedals, and electroharmonix pedals will have a similarity, MXR pedals will have a similarity, etc.
As a matter of fact, I love electroharmonix but I hate the echo#1 and the pulstar because I don't know how the frequency knobs response.
Always make sure you spend your cash on something you like and will use because it's so easy to go wrong.
If you like the idea of the Ds-1 (you're better getting this than an sd-1) you might want to try a Proco Rat, they sound pretty good too!
Yeah lol. Let's forget the others and just continue our conversation!
Danelectro's cool cat series is the new standard for the cheap pedals that sound good.
Quote by Darkflame
he's been playing for 3 months and he didn't ask for an amp, he asked for pedals.
gee, peopl. when someone asks for advice, give him what he wants. if someone wants a banana, will you give him an apple because you like it better?

Yeah, but in this case he's about to eat a rotten moldy banana, and we're trying to give him a fresh new apple that will definitely be better for him.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction
rotten moldy banana

What's wrong with my amp? I know it's not as good as a huge marshall like slash will use but I think mine is alright
It's an OK starter amp, you could do worse.

If you want a pedal that will get you everything from Slash's Marshall tone to some grunge sounds, try an MI Audio Crunch Box. They can do it all for a decent price - I used to own one and I play a lot of similar stuff to you.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
don't spend money on pedals just yet. you will never get the same tone as a slash solo from a fender frontman, no matter how many pedals you plug into it. When you feel you want better tones, save for a better amp.
Quote by dotheFlop
What's wrong with my amp? I know it's not as good as a huge marshall like slash will use but I think mine is alright

well, considering you've been playing 3 months your amp is fine, what I was trying to say earlier is the you have to consider changing it sometime in the near future before getting lots of pedals and expensive guitars, but for now you amp can do the trick.
And Boss pedals OK imo, they don't suck totaly, I have a sd-1 and I am not disapointed with it, but there are better options
Could you guys recommend me some more pedals please? And everyone that has been said for good so far I'm going to try- I'll try a few, just I want to know some that are good for price and quality. Thanks!
Distortion, the Crunch Box I mentioned.

Wah, various Dunlop Crybabies (don't get the Slash wah, it sucks. Try a 535Q or Crybaby From Hell) or maybe an Ibanez Weeping Demon or Morley wah (particularly a Mark Tremonti version) - try them all.

Other than that, I reckon having a chorus pedal and delay pedal around are always handy. Try an Electro-Harmonix Small Clone or Ibanez CF-7 for chorus (the SC has a better chorus sound, but the advantage of the CF-7 is that it also allows you to play with the flanger).
Delay, try a Boss DD-7 or, if you can afford one, an MXR Carbon Copy.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by dotheFlop

the frontman is alright but once you try some better amps you'll see what we're talking about, especially as far as amp distortion goes. the vox valvetronix is a much better amp for the same price. in general, pedals are a nice accesory to have but the amp is far more important - it's the core of your tone. it's not about having a huge halfstack either, just an amp of any size that has a great core sound. so yeah, try the vox valvetronix.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
well don't upgrade your amp with another amp in the same price range when you do, get one that's a few hundreds upwards so you really see the difference

as for more pedals, you can always get lots of cool stuff.
I don't know if your favorite guitarists use them a lot, but choruses are beautiful. I have the electroharmonix small clone and I couldn't like it more. Also, I hear the MXR one is great, as well as the boss ones (although, I repeat, i hate boss). there's one made by carl martin also, in the classic series, that looks sweet.
Phaser? flanger? MXR phase 90, electroharmonix small stone for phaser, mxr flanger, electro harmonix electric mistress for a flanger, these two effects are kind of similar and different at the same time.
Delays are awesome, my carl martin red repeat is soooo great, it's kind of a digital delay that sounds like an analog delay, if it makes sense.