Hi all, I know these threads are done alot and I apologise.

Getting this body from a fellow UG-er for free, he even paid the postage, (nice one mate)

I have several plans for this body, including fixing the neck pocket and sorting out the paint but it's just come to my attention that I have no FR equipped guitar, and what better way to make use of a free body than to mount an FR on it?

The strat neck I will be using can be seen here:

So my questions are: What kindof routing will I need to do on the body? And what's the best way to install a locking mechanism onto the neck? I would rather put a locking nut on there as opposed to buying locking tuners.

As for the paintjob, I think I'm going to strip the body, do the sanding sealer and put some primer on there, and then attack the body with balloons full of different coloured paints, to make it very colourful and unique. This doesn't sound like it will work in theory, but I have it all planned out but I'm not too sure how to describe the process I will use to make this work. It is all planned out though, you just need to sit back and wait for the progress thread

Edit.

Also gonna route the bridge for a humbucker, forgot to say.
dude this is gonna be soo hot!!! Please send me pics wen its finished!!! Good luk wit the project man!
^
Baha, nice, but that didn't answer any of his questions

First of all, let me say that if you don't do all this routing yourself, it's totally not worth it, you may as well have fun with this axe and just buy a FR guitar. (expensive for someone else to do all the routing and installs)

Secondly, I'm no expert, but I'm thinking that if you route for a hum and FR, you might not have enough room down there. Wait for someone else to verify that.

Third, are you buying an Original FR, or one of those cheap copies?

Last, you're going to have to route a "lip" at the top of the fretboard on the neck, and drill through it, to install the locking nut. You'll also have to do some pretty extensive routes on the bridge end of things for the FR to have optimal movement and stability.

If you think you're up to it, and its a well planned project, go google-hunting and find what the routes are supposed to look like, and go to town on this guitar!
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Quote by Stratoblaster73
^
Baha, nice, but that didn't answer any of his questions

First of all, let me say that if you don't do all this routing yourself, it's totally not worth it, you may as well have fun with this axe and just buy a FR guitar. (expensive for someone else to do all the routing and installs)

Secondly, I'm no expert, but I'm thinking that if you route for a hum and FR, you might not have enough room down there. Wait for someone else to verify that.

Third, are you buying an Original FR, or one of those cheap copies?

Last, you're going to have to route a "lip" at the top of the fretboard on the neck, and drill through it, to install the locking nut. You'll also have to do some pretty extensive routes on the bridge end of things for the FR to have optimal movement and stability.

If you think you're up to it, and its a well planned project, go google-hunting and find what the routes are supposed to look like, and go to town on this guitar!

Routing will be done by me, my mate, possibly my engineering teacher and the school's technician. He usually offers to do any routing for free so yeah. It's gonna be a cheap copy, there's no point dishing out good money on a plywood body considering I play hard-tail guitars, this is purely for a bit of fun.

To get around not having enough room, if that would even be a problem, I could just route it further up and not have a middle single coil.

EDIT

Quote by LP Addict
mother
phucking
searchbar
damnit. we get a new FR INTO MY STRAT?! thread about every 3 days.

Yes, I know this. But seeing as I would have made a progress thread here anyway, I figured I would kill 2 birds with one stone and have an advice along with a build thread in the same thing. If you have such a problem with answering, don't reply.

Of course I have been googling it, but google doesn't share the same experience as real luthiers does it? gathering lots of first-hand opinions is better than relying solely on a piece of information read on a website.
Last edited by dandadog at Mar 22, 2009,