Hello and thanks for reading my post. I am in a band that plays out about once a month. Mostly bars and colleges. We play modern alternative rock. I am playing with a Schecter Damion FR to a digitech RP500 then out through a Fender FM100 half stack. My sound is to high end clippy and a bit muddy. I would like a well defined but warm distortion sound. I am open to any ideas if you have any weather it be a change of equipment or an idea for a setting on my current set up would be fine. I dont want to ditch my whole set up and start over. THanks for any suggestions you have.
Quote by Mike!
You should start with getting a new amp.

What is your budget?

Agreed.

I know you said you didn't want to ditch everything, but really the only thing worth keeping is the guitar. The RP is alright for late night practice and such, but it's not something I'd be using live.

I'd start with a solid amp and work from there.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale

I know you said you didn't want to ditch everything, but really the only thing worth keeping is the guitar. The RP is alright for late night practice and such, but it's not something I'd be using live.

I'd start with a solid amp and work from there.

agreed.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
how low are we talking ?
I have spent 350 for the amp and cab 300 on the foot pedal and 200 for the guitar. id like to get the best value I can. I dont have to buy the cheapest stuff but I want to make sure that the difference in price is worth it. ya know? I am open to any suggestions
i'd start by trying to sell the amp and RP, then add that to whatever money you currently have to try and score yourself a nice used tube combo. what type of music do you play ?
What settings are you using on the amp/effects? maybe just try EQing out the distaste from the tone.

you could also try going direct from the RP500 to the house PA system,. a lot of people that buy multi-effects get them for just that reason.
Modern rock, ie: foo fighters, SOundGarden, stuff like that. Its not metal but it does need a solid distortion.
you may even want to consider a speaker swap on that amp to something more neutral (maybe a CL80) if you want to keep on using the multi-effects with that amp.
I like the sound of the guitar and foot pedal when I play it through my home studio so I think the problem is after those components. A few people had mention that I get a combo amp as well. Wouls you have a suggestion for one that may fit my applications? Thanks Voltaire1
The tone you hear in your house is going to drastically be different than what you hear when you play out. Each environment has different acoustics. You simply can not use the same settings in a bar/venue and expect it to sound the same as if you were in your house. Also the tone in a full band mix is going to be even MORE different, what sounds terrible on its own may sound fabulous when played with other tones mixing together.

You don't need a different amp, those are fine amps for beginners and provide volume, they're great platforming amps.

I suggest you play with the treble/presence knobs on the amp at your next gig. Try an EQ in the loop of the amp even (a danelectro fish and chips can be had for 30 dollars and drastically changes the tone of an amp)

if you still get undesirable results after the EQing try for a song or two plugging the RP500 directly into the house PA.
i still say you get a new amp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
im still not sure of your budget
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
for 400 dollars, go used.

it's a bit of a stretch but i've seen used DSL401 combos go for 500ish and that woud be definitely far superior to what you have..

but what you have isn't bad if you tweak it enough.