Well thanks to a number of people I've decided on a prophecy GX and need help between a SG or LP. I've heard the SG is lightweight and easy to carry on stage. I heard the LP has better tone. I've played both and I'm leaning towards the LP.
Have:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX
Ovation Celebrity
B-52 AT-112

Want:
N/A
Sg=supremely light

LP=Better tone

I have an SG because its so light and also has great fret access. But its up to u
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
YEah I think i'll do the LP
Have:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX
Ovation Celebrity
B-52 AT-112

Want:
N/A
SG! Sg's are awesome, I admit they have there flaws, but they make up for it in the looks. Light guitars seem easier to use for me anyway.

Totally up to you though
Quote by kurt/armstrong
depends on what you play
SG has more of a Punk Rock or Alternative tone
Les Paul can play everything well but fails in those 2 genres

ARE YOU HIGH!!!! You have no idea what your talking about. Most alternative bands use Les Pauls!!! Punk is more of an SG thing, but Les Pauls definitely don't "fail". PLease think before you post something.
joshuaestock.com
Quote by JEST87
ARE YOU HIGH!!!! You have no idea what your talking about. Most alternative bands use Les Pauls!!! Punk is more of an SG thing, but Les Pauls definitely don't "fail". PLease think before you post something.

I forgot to comment on that really stupid post. Many alternative bands use Les Pauls, and they do a damn good job even if everything sounds the same, but thats not the guitars fault. Maybe it doesnt do OK for punk, but it doesnt fail. You sir are an idiot
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
I recommend the Les Paul. I have an Epi SG and it's neck heavy. It nose dives all day. It's a pain to play standing up. While the Les Paul may be heavier, at least it stays in place while you stand up. The need to constantly hold the guitar with a firm guitar really affects your playing. It has much better fret access than the Les Paul, but I would pick the Les Paul since it's more comfortable to play standing up, maybe not for your back, but definitely your hands. My SG has two Dirty Fingers and it sounds amazing. It's one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played but I can't really recommend that guitar because it nose dives.
Depends if its Brit or US punk. Bad religion are classed as punk and they only use LP's. I've had both and I like the sound and weight of the SG. But the Paul is a bit more versatile with soft stuff. Sound between these two is always more down to the amp, anyway.

The head heavy problem does not happen with '60's or 60's reissue models as they have a light neck.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Mar 22, 2009,
Good idea on geting the LP, in my opinion the sg is a weaker version of the LP.

You'll be happy with it!
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
Quote by K.R.o.B.L 1910
SG! Sg's are awesome, I admit they have there flaws, but they make up for it in the looks. Light guitars seem easier to use for me anyway.

Totally up to you though

lulwut? So the Spider III is awesome, because though it sounds rubbish, it looks awesome?
Right.

I'd say LP. I prefer heavier, thicker guitars with a meatier tone. Also, neck-heavy=bad.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Everyone's talking about body shapes and weights, but what about necks?

I've never enjoyed an LP neck. I have tiny hands and it feels like I'm trying to play on a Louisville slugger.

SG neck isn't a HUGE difference in thin-ness, but if you have small hands you will most certainly notice it.

also concerning body shapes; I can't stand the way the bridge is positioned on a Les Paul, for some reason it irks me when I try to palm mute or even place my hand anywhere near the bridge. SG is much better playability IMO, but then again, the neck dive on it is a pretty big issue when playing standing up.
Last edited by ryoga415 at Mar 22, 2009,
the fret access on the les paul is totally CRAP, completely garbage. dunno about the epiphones but i never had one single neck dive with my sg standard. tone wise the sg has a more treble tone giving its attack a more sharp bites. and thats where i think the sg is a more ass kicking guitar than the les paul, frankly i own both, so i'm speaking from opinion.
Quote by Baby Joel
lulwut? So the Spider III is awesome, because though it sounds rubbish, it looks awesome?
Right.

that is completely irrelevant. your analogy does not compute
Quote by Akreckos
Well thanks to a number of people I've decided on a prophecy GX and need help between a SG or LP. I've heard the SG is lightweight and easy to carry on stage. I heard the LP has better tone. I've played both and I'm leaning towards the LP.

You've HEARD that. How about you go play an SG and an LP?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by kckyle
the fret access on the les paul is totally CRAP

I love my LPs but I have to agree here. For me it doesn't matter because I rarely play above the 15th fret. If you like the LP look and feel but want better fret access, there is always the doublecut. I think wider body on the LP makes it more comfortable to play sitting.
Quote by philwhite
I love my LPs but I have to agree here. For me it doesn't matter because I rarely play above the 15th fret. If you like the LP look and feel but want better fret access, there is always the doublecut. I think wider body on the LP makes it more comfortable to play sitting.

have to respectfully disagree with you there. the lp doesn't have comfort curve so it digs into my ribs everytime i sit down with it.
I play an SG and once I tried out an LP and the feel was bad for me. I loved the sound but I just couldn't feel comfortable w/ it.

I say try out both on the same amplifier (I try to choose the same amplifier I'm using at the time so I could know what sound I'll get) and then choose from there. If it's a hard choice, flip a coin.

Hey, it's good enough for the Super Bowl, it's good enough for the SG and LP struggle.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag