Hmmm, say a piece is in a certain key but you can still start a chord progession on any chord in that key. How come if it starts on a minor chord (such as the 2nd) you must play the blues (minor pent) over it and if it starts on a major chord you must play a major pentatonic? This is what I'm doing with my teacher at the moment but don't think I fully understand this.
Thanks
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
im not 100% sure what you're going for but...

i think you are supposed to think of what notes will work well with the chord your band is playing, and avoid ones that will clash (such as minor second intervals).

you don't want the notes of the scale you're playing to clash with the chord you band is playing. if your band is playing an F chord with the notes F A C, dont use an F# A# or C# note in your scale because they will clash.
ah, I get it now thanks. Basically the chords can go I IV V etc. So you play scales that are still in the same key but do not contain clashing notes, so starting on a 2nd (which is always minor) you play a minor pentatonic.
Thanks
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.