I have been considering an upright and what are some good brands that offer reliable and good sounding basses?
I decided to change my sig to something big and colorful
yea a "cheap" upright bass would probably be about $800. tbh, i think you may as well just buy a fretless bass instead.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
I understand they aren't cheap. I have checked websites and average is like $1000. So I know,but the question is what is a good brand?Price,at least right now,isn't a matter.
Check out http://www.wwbw.com/
And look at their double basses.

They are expensive, but that what it takes to own such a LARGE instrument.

The lower end for ~$800 look decent for a beginner.
Even their high end models aren't terrible expensive.

But they aren't hand crafted Chinese or German made, of course.
Well do you want a DB or EUB, thats the first question, and do you have a teacher, if not get one, and ask his advice, Im also searching for my double bass, 1000 euro up(dont know dollers) is getting to decent. But the cheaper they are the more money youll spend havidng them set up. DB is a completly different instrument, in my first half hour lesson i noticed the difference immediatly. See if you can rent one for a couple of weeks. But get a teacher for Db youll need it.

EUB's are quite different sound from Db so choose now what do want the sound to be. Does thomann ship to america. They have the best offerer for cheaper double bass's. Im spending around $1300 on my first double bass, so just keep in mind, there expensive and cheaper ones will go down in value straight away.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by fatgoogle
Well do you want a DB or EUB, thats the first question, and do you have a teacher, if not get one, and ask his advice, Im also searching for my double bass, 1000 euro up(dont know dollers) is getting to decent. But the cheaper they are the more money youll spend havidng them set up. DB is a completly different instrument, in my first half hour lesson i noticed the difference immediatly. See if you can rent one for a couple of weeks. But get a teacher for Db youll need it.

EUB's are quite different sound from Db so choose now what do want the sound to be. Does thomann ship to america. They have the best offerer for cheaper double bass's. Im spending around $1300 on my first double bass, so just keep in mind, there expensive and cheaper ones will go down in value straight away.

I would want a DB(I am guessing you mean double bass not electric upright). A teacher is something I would love and am looking for and renting sounds like a good idea for the time being. Thank you.
Yep, i got a teacher now, but really it is a different instrument, dont look at it as expanding you electric bass playing, but as improving yourself as a musician through learning a new instrument.

So get a teacher, ask him whats good on the amrket, can he come with you to shops to help you buy something.
Then on your first term of lessons rent something, while you ghather funds.
Then buy something anmd learn drogonatties concerto for double bass.

Im renting one for a 10er a month which is good. Ply wood is perfectly fine for the moment, until you improve quite a bit. The one im thinking oif getting has a spruce top and plywood sides and back. Ive been told it will be great for beginning.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Also theres not so much brands, but quite often on better instruments, theyll be german circa and french, also remember contrabass, is italien for DB so they might come up as that. Youill only need a 3\4 size as thats the standard.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I've good about Engelhardt. Epy has one. Have a testimonial: :P

"They're great upright basses for the cost. You can play them out of the box however they will require setup to what you want. Definitely go for one if you can afford it. Learning to play the upright has been the best thing for my playing."

Sorry 'bout quoting a pm, not sure if that's some unwritten rule or something (:

edit: here's a link, with pictures and prices. They're pretty cheap http://www.gollihurmusic.com/manufacturer/19-ENGELHARDT.html
Last edited by Canadian_basser at Mar 22, 2009,
well, i have my new Palatino electric.....it makes me want to physically damage everything
Try adding more delay.
You could ask the Strings teacher at your school, usually they're the ones who order instruments and therefore know a lot about each brand.

btw people sell upright basses on Craigslist.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
Ok the talkbass double bas forums or helpfull and their not as biased etc as the other foums there. Saqmuel shen and christopher hybrid bass' are good as well. The christopher ones are appaerently t5he best plywood bass' around.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Canadian_basser
I've good about Engelhardt. Epy has one. Have a testimonial: :P

"They're great upright basses for the cost. You can play them out of the box however they will require setup to what you want. Definitely go for one if you can afford it. Learning to play the upright has been the best thing for my playing."

Sorry 'bout quoting a pm, not sure if that's some unwritten rule or something (:

edit: here's a link, with pictures and prices. They're pretty cheap http://www.gollihurmusic.com/manufacturer/19-ENGELHARDT.html

thats cool =P.

Engelhardts are pretty good. I absolutely love mine. Great looking and sounding basses. AND THEY ARE AFFORDABLE to the average person who doesn't want to put out a loan on an upright bass. If you want any more info on Engelhardts, just pm me or w/e I'll try to fill in all your questions about them.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by epy
thats cool =P.

Engelhardts are pretty good. I absolutely love mine. Great looking and sounding basses. AND THEY ARE AFFORDABLE to the average person who doesn't want to put out a loan on an upright bass. If you want any more info on Engelhardts, just pm me or w/e I'll try to fill in all your questions about them.

Yeah Engelhardt's do seem really nice, I really like yours, the Swingmaster?It is really beautiful.
Man, I want my DB back ): Was too expensive to rent one continually, and I didn't have enough to buy it. I think I'm going to go back and buy an Engelhardt, soon as I have the money.

Thanks for making me GAS for it terribly If you get it, could you give me a pm telling me how you like it?

Good luck on your bass!

edit: woo, check out the Canuck love
those are pretty neat
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Well im renting my Db now and 10er a month and love it. Even though i cant play anything exept open strings and a coupl ogf notes, it sounds so good, for what im told a laminate should sound like. Cant wait to learn more.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul