Page 1 of 2
Everyone always says that an amp is more important than a guitar. So I see people here who have $1200 to spend on a guitar but they have a bad amp. Most people tell them to get a new amp instead or split their money. I was on both sides. I had a $1200 and a $150 Behringer amp. I bought an American Deluxe Strat (I did buy a GT-10 a month and a half later though). 6 months later, I bought an Ibanez RG2550Z that was on sale for $800. After that, I joined the amp before guitar brigade. Looking back, I'm happy that I made those decisions. The strat I bought is now $1600, and the new Ibanez's are $1500 even though they have been upgraded. This year, I saved $1100 by buying guitars before amps. I don't really see amp prices increasing. My 2 next guitars are going to be a Paradise Rose ($2300) and a Caparison Horus ($1925). I was planning on getting a Carvin Legacy II combo and/or a Peavey JSX combo. But I may get the guitars first so I won't get stuck with inflated prices. I don't really see amp prices going up. Anyone have similar stories or are in a similar situation?
yeah, i'm already suffering. I don't have a job or any money for any new gear excpt a pack of occasional strings. and even then, I gotta scrape for some money.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
This is where Craigslist comes to a lot of use.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
The other side is that I could sell my guitars for more than I bought them since they're price increased. They're still in mint condition. But I won't do that.
Quote by Milesthedude
Picked up a KE3 Eerie Dess Swirl for £300 in November, which was a blessing because nowadays they're costing about £500...

I hate you so much!

oh well I got like 700£ back from tax :p so I also bought a KE3 for money I never felt I lost.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
picked up a Caparison for about half price to the '09 pricing. I mean you can't get any better then that besides getting it free. I also was meant to get an '09 Caparison at '08 pricing but plans changed.
The next guitar i'm working towards is only $270, so i'm not too worried No one else will touch it either, as it's so fricking old.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
picked up a Caparison for about half price to the '09 pricing. I mean you can't get any better then that besides getting it free. I also was meant to get an '09 Caparison at '08 pricing but plans changed.

Where did you get it and for how much? The only place I know where I can get one is guitarasylum.com. I want the Iris Violet Horus. It's $1925 there. I have nothing else to compare it to. Is that good?
I hope ESPs don't increase. I'm trying to get an ESP FR-250 (or something like that) for $700 over the Summer OR a Roland GR20 pedal (or Sanpera II Footswitch and ESP FR-250 combo).
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

got my gibson sg standard for 790 while i still had the spider 3. 2 month later the price jumped up around 30 percent extra
A month ago I bought a discontinued Alpine White Les Paul Studio and a Spider Jam. I also bought a strap, a new mic stand with mic, new power cords, 6 effect pedals, and a few books.

So, otherwise, NO.

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
The bad economy has helped my guitar collection. A friend of mine sold me his Gibson Faded Cherry Flying V for $300 because he was short on cash (his hours got cut at work). He has several other more expensive guitars so he made me a great deal on that V.
bah, i got laid off, getting a measly TX max of 498 USD per week, cant really spend on ****. have to watch groceries, utility bills, ****ing house payment, and ****ing obama deciding NOT to give Texas his "Stimulus" package(as far as i know)...so yeah..not being able to buy anything sucks...... oh yeah...ive seen ALOT of different kind of rebate offers on amps but not guitars
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by heretic-clown
oh yeah...ive seen ALOT of different kind of rebate offers on amps but not guitars

If they're British-made amps, a lot of that will be down to currency movements, with our Pound having lost about a third of it's value against the dollar.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Not so much, I've bought a new (used) one just two/three weeks ago. If you were one to jump to early and false conclusions, you might very well say that it has even improved my guitar buying.
Quote by DotSick
This is where Craigslist comes to a lot of use.

+1
I've seen tons of great deals on there.
27mMoV31II7.a2
It's funny how the prices of used guitars go down while the prices new guitars go up
Quote by JELIFISH19
Where did you get it and for how much? The only place I know where I can get one is guitarasylum.com. I want the Iris Violet Horus. It's $1925 there. I have nothing else to compare it to. Is that good?

I was able to get the deals done by Bmusic in aus. and i'm not too sure on what you guys were paying in '08 and '09 so i can't be of any further assistance to you mate, sorry.
The used market is where its at right now. If you have extra cash used prices are lower than ever. People who need cash in this economy are selling their gear. This is alot of people and therefore supply is up and demand is down. If you can be careful on Ebay or Craigslist now is the time to find great deals.
No, it's affected my selling.
People simply haven't got the money to pay for the actual price that things are worth and are looking for cheaper and cheaper deals.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Everyone always says that an amp is more important than a guitar. So I see people here who have $1200 to spend on a guitar but they have a bad amp. Most people tell them to get a new amp instead or split their money. I was on both sides. I had a $1200 and a $150 Behringer amp. I bought an American Deluxe Strat (I did buy a GT-10 a month and a half later though). 6 months later, I bought an Ibanez RG2550Z that was on sale for $800. After that, I joined the amp before guitar brigade. Looking back, I'm happy that I made those decisions. The strat I bought is now $1600, and the new Ibanez's are $1500 even though they have been upgraded. This year, I saved $1100 by buying guitars before amps. I don't really see amp prices increasing. My 2 next guitars are going to be a Paradise Rose ($2300) and a Caparison Horus ($1925). I was planning on getting a Carvin Legacy II combo and/or a Peavey JSX combo. But I may get the guitars first so I won't get stuck with inflated prices. I don't really see amp prices going up. Anyone have similar stories or are in a similar situation?

That is not a smart logic. No matter what you think, you can not save money by spending it, even if you get a good deal.
I can't accumulate guitar gear right now. I have to sell my previous amps to buy new ones.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
That is not a smart logic. No matter what you think, you can not save money by spending it, even if you get a good deal.
I can't accumulate guitar gear right now. I have to sell my previous amps to buy new ones.

In a way you can both be right. He won't 'earn' money by spending it, but when guitars go up a third of their price in two months, and you buy it now instead of then, you will effectively save that money. You won't really notice it as soon as you buy it, but you would notice if you'd buy it later, and then find out they were much cheaper before.

I hope that makes sense.
Quote by Deep*Kick

It's the same as getting something on sale. I'm so broke that I was considering selling one of them. But that's not going to happen because it'll cost a lot more to replace them now and I definitely would replace them eventually. Do you think smaller companies like Caparison and Paradise will increase their prices too? I need an amp bad, but I would buy guitars before the amp if the prices are going to go up. I remember saving up for an American Special Strat. It was $1000. But it went up to $1200 in the fall and I decided not to get it. Now it's $1600. I really hope Caparison and Paradise prices stay the same.
Quote by JELIFISH19
It's the same as getting something on sale. I'm so broke that I was considering selling one of them. But that's not going to happen because it'll cost a lot more to replace them now and I definitely would replace them eventually. Do you think smaller companies like Caparison and Paradise will increase their prices too? I need an amp bad, but I would buy guitars before the amp if the prices are going to go up. I remember saving up for an American Special Strat. It was $1000. But it went up to $1200 in the fall and I decided not to get it. Now it's $1600. I really hope Caparison and Paradise prices stay the same.

well sorry to tell you mate but Caparison had a major price increase this year! i'm sorry it sucks but well so does the economy.
say it has way helped me, keep picking up gear on the cheap because people cant pay their bills, all the pawns are full of stuff as well dont think it hasever been easier to get a good deal.
I was going to look for a Fender Strat this summer, but they are going to raise their prices so they are out of the question. I am looking into a good solid state half stack like a B-52, or a hybrid stack like the Vox Valvetronix stack, over a tube half stack just because things are so expensive.
Get a tube combo. You don't need a half-stack. The speakers just push air. The wattage is how loud it is. And tube amps are a lot louder than SS amps with the same wattage.
Quote by in2thesun88
I was going to look for a Fender Strat this summer, but they are going to raise their prices so they are out of the question. I am looking into a good solid state half stack like a B-52, or a hybrid stack like the Vox Valvetronix stack, over a tube half stack just because things are so expensive.

Avoid 'good' solid state and marketing schemes like the Valvetronix. Just get a regular tube. It will be more expensive, but it will also be that much better.
Quote by Y00p
Avoid 'good' solid state and marketing schemes like the Valvetronix. Just get a regular tube. It will be more expensive, but it will also be that much better.

I have actually played some solid state stacks that I like as much as some tubes, its rare, but i have found them. I currently have a Valvetronix that I swear by, I absolutely love it, so I know what I like, and I'm not stupid about my purchases, I look for deals.
Quote by in2thesun88
I have actually played some solid state stacks that I like as much as some tubes, its rare, but i have found them. I currently have a Valvetronix that I swear by, I absolutely love it, so I know what I like, and I'm not stupid about my purchases, I look for deals.

Well then, more power to you.
Quote by ChrisN
No, it's affected my selling.
People simply haven't got the money to pay for the actual price that things are worth and are looking for cheaper and cheaper deals.

This, still not a huge issue. I have money
Quote by JELIFISH19
Get a tube combo. You don't need a half-stack. The speakers just push air. The wattage is how loud it is. And tube amps are a lot louder than SS amps with the same wattage.

Other than that point, agreed!
404: Sig not found.
I just bought a used RG 2550E and god damn I do not regret.

Im just waiting for when people have to sell their guitars cheap, I shall buy it of thee.

Norway FTW
it didn't effect me but it did with my buddy since bought a guitar for him.

Just bought a Ibanez XPT700XH for a friend of mine
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Page 1 of 2