An effects loop? On my amp, there are two inputs that say preamp in and power out, I think. Is this the loop?

I've been trying to run my TS9 with my amp for more possibilities, but it sounds crappy the way I do it (Amp ------ TS9 -------Guitar). Would running it in the loop help? How do I put it in the effects loop?

Thanks!
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
running it in the loop would NOT help. it would cause undesirable screeching sounds.

an effects loop is best suited for modulation and delay type effects ala reverb/chorus/delay/pitch shifting/etc (as a rule of thumb)

there are different types of loops amps have including series and parallel.

boosts and distortion should be ran in front of amps.

if you're not getting a good tone with a tubescreamer you're most likely using it wrong.

tube screamers are common boosts to an already somewhat distorted amp to help tighten up the tone, of course it can be used with a clean setting but is more effective if used with a distorted setting.
I've really only been using it as a clean boost, but it doesn't work that well. My amp is modded a ton so that I don't need to use a TS for OD.....

And remember that it isn't a holy grail pedal. How could I be using it wrong with three knobs, too?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Quote by LP51122
I've really only been using it as a clean boost, but it doesn't work that well. My amp is modded a ton so that I don't need to use a TS for OD.....

And remember that it isn't a holy grail pedal. How could I be using it wrong with three knobs, too?

actually, the tube screamer is a holy grail pedal, that's why almost every overdrive pedal is a variation the exact circuit.

you're using it as a clean boost, okay.. so the drive is at 0-2 the volume is at 6+ and the tone is to your liking.

right?

so, what kind of tones are you trying to get out of your amp exactly?..
Quote by Voltaire1
actually, the tube screamer is a holy grail pedal, that's why almost every overdrive pedal is a variation the exact circuit.

Not really. There are a ton of ODs that are not TS based, even though a fair number of them are.

I don't really like the TS as a clean boost, hell I don't even like it as an overdrive. To me it's just not transparent enough to really be a good booster. If you already like the tone of your guitar into your amp and don't want your boost to be mucking with it, I'd look at something that isn't a TS. If you want to just check out something cheap, try to find a Danelectro Transparent Overdrive. Ever since word got out that it's a Paul Cochrane Timmy clone, it's been flying off the shelves and just about every online retailer has them on backorder.
Should be pre-amp out and power in. Useful for various things including an effects loop.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by al112987
Not really. There are a ton of ODs that are not TS based, even though a fair number of them are.

I don't really like the TS as a clean boost, hell I don't even like it as an overdrive. To me it's just not transparent enough to really be a good booster. If you already like the tone of your guitar into your amp and don't want your boost to be mucking with it, I'd look at something that isn't a TS. If you want to just check out something cheap, try to find a Danelectro Transparent Overdrive. Ever since word got out that it's a Paul Cochrane Timmy clone, it's been flying off the shelves and just about every online retailer has them on backorder.

Last time I checked, pedals like the Fulltone OCD, MI Audio Crunch Box, PaulC Timmy, Klon Centaur, all very hyped up and popular ODs are not based on the TS.
the effects loop puts the pedals/effects between the pre and power amps. its main use is for modulation effects so that the distorted sound is modulated, instead of distorting the modulation. works well for some phasers, delays, choruses, and the like.

as for the tubescreamer, some people like them and some dont. i like mine as a solo boost as the midhump helps cut through and i like the bit of gain i can add along with the volume. other people dont like the mid-hump and would prefer something more transparent. instead of using it as a boost, why not try it as a stand-alone overdrive type thing. turn the overdrive to a nice level, then set the volume to unity. its another option to try out if you dont like the way you currently have it set.
Quote by al112987
Last time I checked, pedals like the Fulltone OCD, MI Audio Crunch Box, PaulC Timmy, Klon Centaur, all very hyped up and popular ODs are not based on the TS.

hyped up and popular where? Corksniffer Town?

Please, take a few minutes to check out this overdrive comparison video. thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMy_Jt7A1wA
Quote by Voltaire1
hyped up and popular where? Corksniffer Town?

Please, take a few minutes to check out this overdrive comparison video. thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMy_Jt7A1wA
Funny, I just watched that video in a klon thread at tgp (i guess that's what you mean by corksniffer town).

Ok, admittedly, the Timmy (sort of) and Klon are corksniffer pedals. and the Klon is similar sounding to the TS, but that video is misleading since all the pedals that it's comparing are all advertised TS's and TS based pedals. But it's still an original design (supposedly, I've never seen the inside of one seeing that the guy who makes them goops it and can't be bothered to look for schematics). But the Timmy is an original design, sounds nothing like the Tubescreamer and is only "corksniffer" in the sense that no one hears about them because Paul Cochrane doesn't have a website and they only get around by word of mouth. The others though, OCD (modded Voodoo Labs OD) and Crunch Box (moddded Marshall Guv'Nor) and Box of Rock (no idea what that one is), are all popular and talked up on this site by people other than corksniffing obsessors with all things boutique.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Funny, I just watched that video in a klon thread at tgp (i guess that's what you mean by corksniffer town).

Ok, admittedly, the Timmy (sort of) and Klon are corksniffer pedals. and the Klon is similar sounding to the TS, but that video is misleading since all the pedals that it's comparing are all advertised TS's and TS based pedals. But it's still an original design (supposedly, I've never seen the inside of one seeing that the guy who makes them goops it and can't be bothered to look for schematics). But the Timmy is an original design, sounds nothing like the Tubescreamer and is only "corksniffer" in the sense that no one hears about them because Paul Cochrane doesn't have a website and they only get around by word of mouth. The others though, OCD (modded Voodoo Labs OD) and Crunch Box (moddded Marshall Guv'Nor) and Box of Rock (no idea what that one is), are all popular and talked up on this site by people other than corksniffing obsessors with all things boutique.

Oh, from TGP.. I can't stand that site..mostly because I was permabanned in the great HCAF invasion of 08

I just started using this site today, so I guess.. I didn't know that they were talked about heavily in these parts.

But seriously, they're great and all, I have a lot of respect for the OCD (2) and it's been a staple on my board for a while... i wasn't trying to talk them down.. only saying.. that..the tone wasn't as unique as some people make them out to be.
Quote by Voltaire1
Oh, from TGP.. I can't stand that site..mostly because I was permabanned in the great HCAF invasion of 08

I just started using this site today, so I guess.. I didn't know that they were talked about heavily in these parts.

But seriously, they're great and all, I have a lot of respect for the OCD (2) and it's been a staple on my board for a while... i wasn't trying to talk them down.. only saying.. that..the tone wasn't as unique as some people make them out to be.

The OCD and Crunchbox are talked about a fair amount, the BoR makes its occasional appearance. I know that it's really that unique and that almost all ODs, even boutique ones are really just clones of other designs, which is why I'm impressed whenever I see what is a largely an original design.

And as for the Gear Page, I think it's useful for info sometimes, if not then at least entertaining to read fully-grown adults going at each other's throats about Klons and Dumbles in which at least one or two members will be subject to a personal attack from another member who holds some sort of grudge from an older argument about... Klons and Dumbles. Haha
Quote by al112987
The OCD and Crunchbox are talked about a fair amount, the BoR makes its occasional appearance. I know that it's really that unique and that almost all ODs, even boutique ones are really just clones of other designs, which is why I'm impressed whenever I see what is a largely an original design.

And as for the Gear Page, I think it's useful for info sometimes, if not then at least entertaining to read fully-grown adults going at each other's throats about Klons and Dumbles in which at least one or two members will be subject to a personal attack from another member who holds some sort of grudge from an older argument about... Klons and Dumbles. Haha

mm, I liked the gear page for getting used stuff for ridiculously cheap.
I don't have an opinion on dumbles other than being biased against them for being the only 40k amp that can put out the most unmusical noise. Unless this video is false.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1qCczGgSxw&feature=related
The Crunch Box isn't an OD, it's a pure distortion pedal.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Voltaire1
mm, I liked the gear page for getting used stuff for ridiculously cheap.
I don't have an opinion on dumbles other than being biased against them for being the only 40k amp that can put out the most unmusical noise. Unless this video is false.

LOL nope, I've actually watched that entire Henry Kaiser "instructional" video (the user Memento has it up in parts) where Kaiser pretty much just rapes his amp with his rack setup. And just spends about an hour making sounds like this...

Had me rolling the first time I heard it.
Quote by al112987
LOL nope, I've actually watched that entire Henry Kaiser "instructional" video (the user Memento has it up in parts) where Kaiser pretty much just rapes his amp with his rack setup. And just spends about an hour making sounds like this...

Had me rolling the first time I heard it.

strange, is what it is.

but i don't really see the amp as something to play anymore.. since the builder has stopped making the amps. Definitely more of a collectors piece to hold onto for a while to sell later for profit.
Not like you couldn't make a load from a Dumble if you sold one right now. Didn't he only make about 500 ever?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Ok, gang you're getting a bit off track here.

I'd like to a get a Menatone red snapper at some point.....I liked the one I played a whole lot.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2