Me and my brother have been working on a song and I am letting another guitar come in and solo during a bridge type moment. It is a soft song with the piano leading during verse 1, chorus 1, verse 2, chorus 2. I play the bass going with it.

Then during the bridge I fingerpick on a guitar the chords of the root notes I played on the bass for 8 bars while the rest of the group quiets down. I was wondering if letting a guitar softly solo over the next 8 bars was to long a time or what for a solo to be going on. Also wondering if these are good scales to solo over these chords with:

C Chord - Am Pentatonic Scale
G Chord- Em Scale
Am Chord- Am Scale
F Chord- Dm Scale

Thanks for the advice and input in advance.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
You can play minor pentatonic shapes all you want over the major chords, they will still sound like the major pentatonic equivalent.
8 bars for a solo is rather short. Now, it depends on the tempo, but overall if the solo is interesting and well placed 8 bars should never be "too long".
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
Depends on what works best. You make it out to sound like a ballad, so no matter the length, make it melodic. It's certainly not an opportune time for a chops fest, so make it just long enough to establish a melodic idea, build it up, and lead it out to the next part of the song.
dragonforce style, 3 min solos ftw

STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
I'd say play in C major (A minor) for the whole solo.

Co-Founder of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM me or TechnicolorBoy to join.

My music --> Check it out!
As long as you see fit, 4 bars solo's can work, as do 3 minute solo's. As long as it fits and sounds right you're ok to go.

(although for your type of playing I would go for 12 bars or 16 bars or something.)
Quote by maybe_I_am
I'd say play in C major (A minor) for the whole solo.

You cannot play in A Minor over a progression in C Major. It's literally impossible. Both scales have the same notes, and since the progression resolves to C, then the any melodies played will also resolve to C.