just wanted to know what scales i should learn to play. im in to mostly metal and rock. i know the basic rock scale but im having a hard time with where i should go from there. to many scales out there.
pentatonic and blues, major and minor scales.

might help to learn some theory behind them too, i have a couple lessons on my site in my sig if you do. other than that, those four are the basic, barebones must know scales.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
A major and A minor is the most used though you can play both these shapes up and down the neck to get G major and minor etc etc. Also learn the blues scale, it just sounds cool.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
not sure what its called thats why i called it the basic rock scale, learned it a long time ago when i took lessons. forgot what he called it, i know he said something about rock when he taught me. thanks TK1 ill check it out.
learn as many as you can, theory behind their uses is helpful to, and start with major and minor then go onto the scales used by musicians you like....
Quote by Bubban
I once had a sudden urge to rape sheep in Scotland after watching CNN, that was pretty freaky.
you prob learned the basic pentatonic that everyone and their moms know...

1-4 <---high e
1-4
1-3
1-3
1-3
1-4
Both Harmonic Minor as well as it's modes are worth learning - Phrygian Dominant is pretty metal too.
yep thats the one and the other i know is

1-4 e
1-4
1-3-4
1-3
1-2-3
1-4 E

any idea what this one is?
Quote by Astrozombie81
yep thats the one and the other i know is

1-4 e
1-4