Ive been hearing alot about CBS strats..... is that CBS as in the television network?
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure people refer to Strats made after Fender was purchased by CBS as CBS Strats.
2008 Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster
2010 Fender Classic Players Jazzmaster
2010 Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster
Peavey 80w Bandit
yup the columbia broadcasting system purchased it in what 64? or 65?
''Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation'' David St. Hubbins-Spinal Tap
CBS Strats and teles refer to those that were made after 1965 when CBS bought the company. They sold it in Fender to management and a new company in 1984, although the guitars made starting in 1981 all often called Smith Strat's (I and II's) due to Dan Smith returning and helping turn the company around.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Quote by jcoley2
CBS Strats and teles refer to those that were made after 1965 when CBS bought the company. They sold it in Fender to management and a new company in 1984, although the guitars made starting in 1981 all often called Smith Strat's (I and II's) due to Dan Smith returning and helping turn the company around.

I wouldn't say that Dan Smith helped turn the company around.... the Dan Smith strats were pure garbage. I think was really "turned the company around" was overseas production, better budget models and the new management being more receptive to the musician community as a whole. CBS didn't ruin Fender, they just didn't do what Leo Fender and George Fullerton did. Some of the CBS models are just AMAZING, like the CBS era P-basses, Thinline teles and I actually prefer the 70's strats myself. But there's ALOT of opinion built into it.

I personally hate 80% of everything that Fender made between 1979 and 1988 and feel that Fender's truly awful years (US made instrument wise) were the 80's, the 90's were better, but still not that great.

But like I said: it's all opinion. I'll give you this: three bolt necks aren't as nice as four bolt necks, pre-CBS strat pups do sound amazing and some of those CBS era models are just junk... but the CBS era P-bass, Jazz Bass, Strat and Tele are not the garbage that people will make you think they are.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
I wouldn't say that Dan Smith helped turn the company around.... the Dan Smith strats were pure garbage. I think was really "turned the company around" was overseas production, better budget models and the new management being more receptive to the musician community as a whole. CBS didn't ruin Fender, they just didn't do what Leo Fender and George Fullerton did. Some of the CBS models are just AMAZING, like the CBS era P-basses, Thinline teles and I actually prefer the 70's strats myself. But there's ALOT of opinion built into it.

I personally hate 80% of everything that Fender made between 1979 and 1988 and feel that Fender's truly awful years (US made instrument wise) were the 80's, the 90's were better, but still not that great.

But like I said: it's all opinion. I'll give you this: three bolt necks aren't as nice as four bolt necks, pre-CBS strat pups do sound amazing and some of those CBS era models are just junk... but the CBS era P-bass, Jazz Bass, Strat and Tele are not the garbage that people will make you think they are.

It's hard to believe a fellow 08er is this wise.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
its inceredible he sold Fender for 13 million........

Quote by necrosis1193
It's hard to believe a fellow 08er is this wise.

I'm confused... what do you mean "08er?"
^^Think about how much that was back in 1965, when an American Standard cost about $200-$300.

^As in you joined in 2008. Generally speaking people of more years are wiser, but I've seen many 08ers and 09ers who can give a better answer than people on the "Who To Listen To" list.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 22, 2009,
you joined in 08.... and mcdonalds was like 45 cents

Quote by necrosis1193
^^Think about how much that was back in 1965, when an American Standard cost about $200-$300.

^As in you joined in 2008. Generally speaking people of more years are wiser, but I've seen many 08ers and 09ers who can give a better answer than people on the "Who To Listen To" list.

oh, see... I don't judge what someone has to say based on when they joined. I judge based on their previous posts and their actual age. I never take note of "when someone joined." If I wanna get an idea of how intelligent a poster is, I'll go through their old posts. I'll admit, though, I'm not the wisest on here, but I do have my nuggets, sometimes.

Quote by Frusciante2323
you joined in 08.... and mcdonalds was like 45 cents

actually, it was a hay-penny... and you'd get a burger, a cup of coffee and a lucky strike ciggerette.
Last edited by Thomme at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by Thomme

Not a big fan myself of the Smith Strat's (esp. the II's--garbage.) But the 1987-88 new American Strats when they switched over can be pretty good guitars and fairly priced in this market--you can get a used one for $600-900 depending on quality.

Just my opinion, though.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
that would be so cool if i could travel back in time

Quote by Frusciante2323
that would be so cool if i could travel back in time

However then you may get the one that would eventually belong to Jimmy Page. In doing so you would give him a different guitar that would sound different and cause some people not to like Led Zeppelin, amongst them possibly Mr. Frusciante, who, if I'm right, is your biggest influence. If he never listened to Led Zeppelin, he probably wouldn't have played the same. If his play style altered, you may never have liked him when you heard him, and you may not have picked up guitar, in which case you never would've gone back in time to get the guitar that by chance ends up the one Zoso played, in which case things go as they do now, causing you to go back in time and get it, which causes you to not.

I love playing with time-traveling paradoxes.

maybe i dont want a time machine......

It's a confusing bit to work out, but there is a way to prevent a paradox.

hmmm stalk jimmy page make sure you dont get his then go back in time and buy it?

Nah, that still has the problem of him not having it and the tone. Plus I'm pretty sure it was a gift from Joe Walsh, so that's a whole other mess to sort out.

But basically, use the time machine to travel to the shop that any influence on you or influence on one of your influence or one of their influences(continuing back to pre-1959 influences essentially) and document the serial number if they're playing a Les Paul. Once you've confirmed the serial numbers of the ones not to buy, go back in time with this list, and just scour the Les Pauls from them until you find one. Note you have to be completely and absolutely thorough on this or else it'd cause a paradox, but if you had a time machine, it's plausible you could use that.

all i need are some time crystals and im set........ wow has anyone seen the price ups on MIM strats

Eh, just buy used. There's always a market of people who bought too good a guitar and didn't like it or just weren't Fender folks or have to sell to make due.

yeah i bought mine for 230 used....... how much for yours?

Quote by necrosis1193
Nah, that still has the problem of him not having it and the tone. Plus I'm pretty sure it was a gift from Joe Walsh, so that's a whole other mess to sort out.

But basically, use the time machine to travel to the shop that any influence on you or influence on one of your influence or one of their influences(continuing back to pre-1959 influences essentially) and document the serial number if they're playing a Les Paul. Once you've confirmed the serial numbers of the ones not to buy, go back in time with this list, and just scour the Les Pauls from them until you find one. Note you have to be completely and absolutely thorough on this or else it'd cause a paradox, but if you had a time machine, it's plausible you could use that.

This is where I come in and say "Screw it I am willing to destroy the universe just so I can pay about 250.00 bucks for a LP."
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Quote by Frusciante2323
yeah i bought mine for 230 used....... how much for yours?

$220, but my uncle sold me it, so he likely took some cash off it.

Quote by reb_49
This is where I come in and say "Screw it I am willing to destroy the universe just so I can pay about 250.00 bucks for a LP."

XD We all would if it weren't for the fact destroying the universe also means you can't enjoy it. ;P

you won't destroy the universe. That LP from 1959 will already have been taken by you, so if you DON'T go back in time and get, then that's a problem.
Quote by Thomme
you won't destroy the universe. That LP from 1959 will already have been taken by you, so if you DON'T go back in time and get, then that's a problem.

Hmm...when I think about it like that, I see what you mean. Touche. Very touche indeed.

Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...when I think about it like that, I see what you mean. Touche. Very touche indeed.

but if you don't go back in time and get it, then it will never have been taken. The past already happened, so, if you're supposed to go back in time and take a guitar, you're not going to take Jimmy Page's guitar, because if you took a guitar in the past, Jimmy Page still played guitar... oh god, I think I've gone cross eyed.
Quote by Thomme
but if you don't go back in time and get it, then it will never have been taken. The past already happened, so, if you're supposed to go back in time and take a guitar, you're not going to take Jimmy Page's guitar, because if you took a guitar in the past, Jimmy Page still played guitar... oh god, I think I've gone cross eyed.

As long as you don't mind headaches, time travel is a fun subject.

Quote by necrosis1193
As long as you don't mind headaches, time travel is a fun subject.

It depends what kind of time travel.Are we talking "back to the future" time travel,or some other form of it? Because I'm willing to get a Delorean just to test any theories out

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Doc, are you trying to tell me that my mother has got the hots for me?

Precisely!

Woah, this is heavy.

There's that word again; "heavy". Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?