I'm terribly bored nowadays, so I figured I'd start up another project. I'm building a custom TS-808, with a few mods for more gain and better tone control. I might throw in a fat switch or two.

Anyhow, enough of my rambling, here are PICS:

What I have so far:

The board of choice (thank you tonepad [with a resistor for lulz]):

The infamous JRC chip (sorry bout the blur, folks):

Infamous close-up:

I might start soldering tonight. I'll keep you folks updated. Feel free to comment or ask questions.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
We are going to need sound clips when this is done. No questions asked.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
We are going to need sound clips when this is done. No questions asked.

It will be my obligation.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
where would one go about finding the parts for this (at least the board?) and about how much does it cost? and if (when?) it sounds amazing would you be willing to share what you changed to up the gain/tone control?
Quote by Skierinanutshel
you know, i've always wondered this.

do metal or carbon resistors sound better?

I prefer metal. I feel they sound a bit better, so do most modders/builders.

Quote by SpeedLives
where would one go about finding the parts for this (at least the board?) and about how much does it cost? and if (when?) it sounds amazing would you be willing to share what you changed to up the gain/tone control?

I bought most of mine locally, but for cheap, quality parts check out futurlec.com. Also, the usual small bear or mouse electronics is great. As for the board, I purchased it off of tonepad.com.

Most of the changes are the resistors. For example, changing the 4.7k resistor to a lower value (before the drive pot) can increase gain.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Quote by djszkoda
I prefer metal. I feel they sound a bit better, so do most modders/builders.

cool. i was just wondering because i see metal being used a lot, but when i opened up a fulldrive 2 mosfet i was borrowing, it used all carbon, so i was all

also, i'm guessing that carbon may sound better in certain positions? i've many times seen it where all the resistors are metal, than one is carbon.

maybe i'll just make two exact same fuzzes, one of each, cleans boosts, OD's, and sell the one i dont like as much
I should try that once

Yeah, few of my pedals have carbon film, whereas the more expensive my pedals get, the more metal film I see. My old Fulldrive MOSFET had metal films, so I'm not sure what to say to that =/
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Alright, why are some resistors a blueish color, others tan, others are brown, and sometimes gray?
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by Skierinanutshel
exactly what i was talking about earlier

blue = metal film
tan = carbon film

etc.

Oh I see.
Why do blue ones usually have a 5th band?
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by Skierinanutshel
that is for the tolerance values (correct me if i am wrong anyone)

Well for carbon film, theres 4 bands, and the 4th one is the tolerance.
For metal film, there are 5 bands. The 4th band is a normal numerical color (i.e. red/green/blue/etc.), and the 5th looks like a tolerance.
So I guess my question is, What is the significance of this extra band?
Resistor question:
On carbon comp, the tolerance is usually 5%. For this reason they put the value of the first two numbers (ie, 510k, 1k, ect.)
On metal film the tolerance is usually 1% and the values can be more specific, hence the third band (ie, 511k, 1.56k, etc.)

My question for the TS: What enclosure are you using?
^Makes sense, thanks!
No difference between metal vs carbon film in stompboxes. Not at 9V and not with a pedal like a TS.

At higher voltages and with more gain one can start to tell a difference. MF are useful in high gain pedals but that is for noise reasons not tone.

If you really want to hear the difference between the two try swapping them into the plate resistor of a tube.
Probably going to use a 1590BB. Large enough to house it all without cramming it all in.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.