Hey all

Just wondered if there was any reason for this?

When i plug my pedalboard in to the input on my amp i get a wierd hum/feedback type noise and i've tested all the cables etc and all the pedals are fine when unplugged and batteries put in them and plugged into the input, but...

when i put the pedals into the pedalboard and put them through the effects loop on my amp they seem to work fine?

Just wondered if there was any reason for this?

Cheers
Gear:
SQ Custom 1, Washburn G-JRVs x3, Yamaha ERG121C, Samick Interceptor, Encore Acoustic, Vintage 5 String Bass, Unbranded Red Bass.
Line 6 SpiderII Halfstack, Laney/Carlsboro Halfstack.
Crybaby,Whammy,Flanger,Stage Tuner,Tremolo,Bass Overdrive
got me...
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
that's exactly what an effect loop is for.

when your signal chain goes: guitar --> several pedals --> amp input

you have all kinds of extra noise added to your guitar's signal before it even reaches the preamp, and that noise all gets amplified along with your original guitar signal.

an effect loop makes it so that your signal goes straight from the guitar to the preamp, THEN thru all your effects, and THEN thru the power amp. This way, the noise from the pedals only goes through one stage of amplification, not two.
did it hum before? If yes, then that's just how it is. And just stick it in the loop.. What's the problem with that. It's usually better that way.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
ah i thought it might be something like that, would a noise surpressor pedal help to cure some of that noise?

i know my amp has an effects loop but being in the band sometimes amps are provided at the venues or by other people and occationally there is no effects loop so i'd need something to get rid of the noise, or atleast quieten it a bit, if thats possible?

Thanks
Gear:
SQ Custom 1, Washburn G-JRVs x3, Yamaha ERG121C, Samick Interceptor, Encore Acoustic, Vintage 5 String Bass, Unbranded Red Bass.
Line 6 SpiderII Halfstack, Laney/Carlsboro Halfstack.
Crybaby,Whammy,Flanger,Stage Tuner,Tremolo,Bass Overdrive
Based on your sig, only the flanger, the chorus, and the tremolo should go in your effects loop. Everything else goes in front of the amp. If you're still getting problems try each pedal individually.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Have you looked into a regulated power supply with isolated outputs? Based on your description that when you use batteries the problem is nonexistent, it only seems logical to guess that you have issues with the power supply. Voodoo Lab makes an outstanding unit.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Yeah, it could very well be a grounding/60 cycle hum problem.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣