*edit*

So I have been doing some research on video cards and their differences and how to compare them and blah blah. I've gotten the basics down but as far as the full list of their specs, im not sure which specs I should prefer over others.

I'm looking at the cheaper:
http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=upgrades.details&product_id=238196

and the more expensive:
http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=upgrades.details&product_id=238652

Basically the ones i'm not quiet getting are :
GeForce 8400 GS
* Engine Clock: 567 MHz
* Memory Clock: 1 GHz
* Memory Interface: 64-bit
* RAMDAC: 400 MHz

What is the significance of those 4, and which should I value over others?

Now I know everyone would say that well there is no need to compare, the bottom one
is clearly much better. Well is it better for an older computer to have a more powerful video card like the bottom one, or an older one like the top one for better results when playing games? I have no idea if that comes into play which is why I ask.

Thanks in advance for the help
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Mar 23, 2009,
the 8500gt is the better card there
The creator of pank, the pank master
If you're upgrading to play videogames, I recommend at least an 8800GT, with those two cards you will only get annoyed with having to turn down graphics settings to get a decent framerate.

Also, they don't design videocards that run on specific operating systems only. The difference is that DirectX 10 settings only work on Vista.
Quote by Mad Marius
If you're upgrading to play videogames, I recommend at least an 8800GT, with those two cards you will only get annoyed with having to turn down graphics settings to get a decent framerate.

Also, they don't design videocards that run on specific operating systems only. The difference is that DirectX 10 settings only work on Vista.

Does this mean that XP doesn't run directX 10 and I can't get either of these cards?
8500gt

...anyone else still has a N64-era 3dfx/voodoo graphic accelerator card? so fukin win
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Out of the two, get the 8500 gt.

But ATI makes better cards, just saying...
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
These work on XP, but without directx10, just 9c or 9d, don't know for sure.
████████
████████
████████
wow, i cant believe nvidia has $50 cards that are 8800s.

i'm a few years out of my pc gaming days, but back then i remember when a 6800 was like $300
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Does this mean that XP doesn't run directX 10

Yeah.

Quote by Guitarfreak777
and I can't get either of these cards?

They'll work just fine under XP, but you won't be able to use the more advanced features of DirectX 10. Except for "Crysis", there's a workaround for that one.
Quote by DirtyMakik
8500gt

...anyone else still has a N64-era 3dfx/voodoo graphic accelerator card? so fukin win

I have a Gforce Mx420 if that counts it has a staggering 64Mbytes of RAM!

I could run CS 1.5 on it at pretty cool fps (outside of smokes lol)
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by Mad Marius
Yeah.

They'll work just fine under XP, but you won't be able to use the more advanced features of DirectX 10. Except for "Crysis", there's a workaround for that one.

Oh okay, thanks, I was worried there for a second. Would the new card I just linked to in the original post put me much better off than the original two I posted?
try this one

Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by CliffIsAngry
I have a Gforce Mx420 if that counts it has a staggering 64Mbytes of RAM!

I could run CS 1.5 on it at pretty cool fps (outside of smokes lol)

64 RAM! GREAT SCOTT!
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Oh okay, thanks, I was worried there for a second. Would the new card I just linked to in the original post put me much better off than the original two I posted?

No, not by much.
I still have a X600 XT in one of my rigs. That thing was high ****ing end.
Yea, the last one, the 9000 series card obviously. Only thing is, since you mentioned that you used to have integrated memory, make sure you have a PCI-Express slot instead of the older AGP slots.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
First, use newegg. Any site that replaces a word with a letter probably sucks, and those prices aren't very good. Newegg is the best site for buying computer stuff.

And get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102820

It's DX10, but that doesn't mean it won't work on XP. You will be able to run things in DX9.

EDIT: No, get this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814140095
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by Masonpwiley
First, use newegg. Any site that replaces a word with a letter probably sucks, and those prices aren't very good. Newegg is the best site for buying computer stuff.

And get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102820

He's right about Newegg, but what you really want is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195079

For all of the high-end video rendering that you plan on doing :P