Right now I have a Peavey XXL halfstack. It does cleans and high gain very well, and can crunch ok, but it cant get that dimed marshall sound just right. My idea to fix this is the following:

1: Blackheart Killer ant .25 watt head. Volume 11
2: 4x12 cabinet
3: EMG PA2 preamp booster, set at 20DB gain

Im hoping this would get a balls to the wall mid-gain tone that compliments my other amp's clean channel and tighter high gain channel. I haven't found any online videos of anyone trying this (using the Killer ant with EMG booster) but for 210 bucks total this sounds like a rather cheap experiment. If anyone has a slightly similar setup, let me know how it sounds. Thanks.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
sounds sexy

cleans are that good on XXL's?
███████████████████████████████████
that may well work, you could turn down the pickup volume too. if you want a pedal solution, the mi audio crunch box is also famed for getting that sort of tone.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by tona_107
sounds sexy

cleans are that good on XXL's?

theyr a bit sterile, but i kinda liked them
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The cleans work for me and with the EQ i can shape the tone to a decent degree. Still trying to find the sweetspot for both my pickups, but that will either take more time tweaking or maybe a pickup change which is a bit down the road.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master