Hey guys,

I've been playing electric guitar for 3 months and been practicing basic major and minor chord progressions.

The problem I have is that when I change chords, the neck of the guitar tends to move away from my body slightly which is making it difficult to get smooth changes.

I'm sitting with the guitar resting on my right thigh and the neck at a slight angle away from my body. As far as I know this is the correct way to hold the guitar, but not sure what's making it move when I lift my left hand to make a chord change?

Any help/suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers.
This

EDIT: Really though... It's a matter of practice. Its good to get a feel for playing standing up too.
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
Last edited by MetalManiac_86 at Mar 22, 2009,
You may be angling it somehow with your right arm, and your left hand is keeping it closer to your body. That would explain it moving away from you when you let go. It's kind of hard to judge without seeing what you mean, that's the only thing I can think of.
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
I think you're fretting to hard.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Your applying too much pressure. Thats why when you release the chord you are moving the guitar. Slow down your practice and relax. You want to apply only as much force as necessary.

It's good to get use to playing standing up. Some people also like to play the guitar in the classical position. Like this guy: http://www.in2guitar.com/tgfnva/BobB.jpg
LTD EC-500 - 18v mod
Roland Cube 30
DigiTech RP-7 Valve Guitar Preamp/Multi-Effects Processor
Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

Now that you guys mention it, I probably am using too much pressure for fretting. I'll try relaxing a bit more and see what happens.

Thanks heaps!
Quote by Innovision
Your applying too much pressure. Thats why when you release the chord you are moving the guitar. Slow down your practice and relax. You want to apply only as much force as necessary.

It's good to get use to playing standing up. Some people also like to play the guitar in the classical position. Like this guy: http://www.in2guitar.com/tgfnva/BobB.jpg
I agree with this man.

I would also recommend at least trying the classical position (guitar on left thigh). It's better for your posture, really. It may save you some trouble later on. Plus, it does wonders for your fretboard mobility, if you plan on playing anything more physically challenging in the future.

That being said, you should try to be comfortable in both positions; each has its advantages and disadvantages.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Also, if you plan to play standing up, the classical position is similar to how you would hold it standing up.
LTD EC-500 - 18v mod
Roland Cube 30
DigiTech RP-7 Valve Guitar Preamp/Multi-Effects Processor
The other thing to be aware of is your thumb position. Ideally it should be pressing on the back of the neck with the same pressure your fingers have on the strings. Then when you change, you momentarily release from both sides and re-grip the new chord.
I have the same tendency which is made worse for me by my large belly. Still, it keeps the back of my guitar safe from my belt buckle.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

what he said...just ask yngwie

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
ClaytonElgin
Thanks guys, some really good input there. I checked out that posture video on youtube and it was a great help. There's also a few other good posture and technique vids on there as well.

Also tried playing chords with less pressure and found that I can move my left hand a lot easier.
I use the classical position, and have a strap on my guitar too. Try that.