I have done some poking around online for a while now about setups and fret buzz and I guess I keep coming to the same conclusion, your setup is best determined by your playing style. That leads to my problem with fret buzz on every guitar I've owned. I guess it's hard to say I have a definitive style as I play a lot of different stuff. I just bought an epi les paul, and it buzzes a bit when fretted. If I play lightly it's fine, but if I get into a lot of chord strumming or hard picking, I get a litttle to moderate amount of buzzing up and down the neck. It's not so bad with a lot of distortion but when I play clean it can get annoying. I guess I have always had this problem. I have never had a professional setup and have always tried to do it myself without much luck, and I really like this guitar and don't want to risk damaging it. I guess without getting too confusing my question is, will I ever find a happy median in my setup or since I am switching up what I play a lot am I always going to have to endure a little bit of buzz?
My Epi buzzes but when I plug it into an amp it doesnt get picked up, so that's the good thing. You can take it to a guitar shop and ask them to raise the action a little bit.
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
Well if you raise the action, that is the distance between the string and the fretboard, you can get rid of most, if not all of the fret buzz. The downside is that you have to apply more pressure to press the string down. It can make things harder to play but it's all up to you.

It's best to find a happy-medium.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
I was always under the impression that there is a correct level, like if I raise the strings too much it gives them more room to vibrate in their elliptical pattern making them more likely to buzz. The buzzing isnt so bad as I've had before, and the action is real low and I really like the playability on it, I would hate to raise it so much to remove the buzzing.

I think I might bring it in and watch the setup process, I would be more content learning how to do it effectively than relying on someone else to do it for a hefty sum whenever It's needed. Another question, is it wise to setup the guitar every time you change the strings?
One thing you have to take into consideration is scale length and string gauge. Shorter scale guitars will require less string tension on a certain string gauge then longer scale guitars to get to the same tuning.
What this means is the strings will vibrate a little more freely, causing them to slap around on the fretboard more easily (as if you were to strum longer scale lengths realllllly hard).

Solutions: Pick lighter, or use a heavier gauge

Edit: Or don't have such high expectations of low action.
Last edited by _Sanitarium_ at Mar 22, 2009,
my epi doesnt buzz.

i thnk you need to set it up better.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011