i have had this birdseye maple bass neck blank for a while now:

How hard is it to make a one piece neck with a skunk stripe?
i realise i will have to use the traditional style of trussrod and make a neck jig for it, but is it managable?
or would be be easier/better to just get a seperate maple fretboard?

im looking to make a maple neck with a maple board, black block inlays and blank binding. it is going to be a 5 string bass neck tuned EADGC

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Last edited by shinhoman at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by shinhoman
i have had this birdseye maple bass neck blank for a while now:

How hard is it to make a one piece neck with a skunk stripe?
i realise i will have to use the traditional style of trussrod and make a neck jig for it, but is it managable?
or would be be easier/better to just get a seperate maple fretboard?

im looking to make a maple neck with a maple board, black block inlays and blank binding. it is going to be a 5 string bass neck tuned EADGC

x

Making the jig for router is rather easy. You should make one anyway, even if you end up using a separate maple piece for the fretboard. The following is if you make it one piece.

In which end are you gonna have trussrod adjustment bullet, headstock or heel? If in the heel, then you can use a double action rod and the job is more or less trivial, with a straight slot. If you want it in the headstock, you'll need to use single action rod and make an arched slot for it. In guitar neck the arch should be so that the slot bottom is about 6mm closer to the back of the neck in the center or the rod than in the ends. With bass neck you could make it a bit more if possible, maybe 7-8mm.

At least I think that the most difficult part was to drill the hole for the bullet in exactly correct angle to hit trussrod slot bottom exactly where it should. I made a jig for the drill also and that worked nicely. It just takes some time to get everything in line before drilling.
Quote by timppis
Making the jig for router is rather easy. You should make one anyway, even if you end up using a separate maple piece for the fretboard. The following is if you make it one piece.

In which end are you gonna have trussrod adjustment bullet, headstock or heel? If in the heel, then you can use a double action rod and the job is more or less trivial, with a straight slot. If you want it in the headstock, you'll need to use single action rod and make an arched slot for it. In guitar neck the arch should be so that the slot bottom is about 6mm closer to the back of the neck in the center or the rod than in the ends. With bass neck you could make it a bit more if possible, maybe 7-8mm.

At least I think that the most difficult part was to drill the hole for the bullet in exactly correct angle to hit trussrod slot bottom exactly where it should. I made a jig for the drill also and that worked nicely. It just takes some time to get everything in line before drilling.

ahh nice one. i have melvyn hiscocks 'how to build an electric guitar' and that explains how to to build a one piece neck. i was just wondering whether i should consider attempting it. cos i like this chunk of wood and i dont want to waste it.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.