So I have money to spare, so I want to buy some gear for my rig. Right now, I have a Paul-Gilbert style rig (Guitar straight to pedal straight to amp). After seeing other Player's rigs, I have a question: What is the point of a pre-amp? what does it do? And is a head really necessary?
Morris Les Paul copy
Jackson DKXT Dinky
Seagull Acoustic

Roland Cube 15
Line 6 spider IV 75
A guitar preamp brings the signal up to line level, and often times adds various effects (distortion, reverb, delay, flange, etc...)

If you have a combo amp, then it's got a built in preamp.

Pods and J-stations and stompboxes are considered preamps.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
heads have a pre and a power amp. They're like a combo without the speakers.
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
head = preamp + poweramp
combo = preamp + poweramp + speaker
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
A pre-amp is basically a sound-processor.
Your standard combo amp composes basically of 3 separate parts;
- The Pre-amp
- The Power-amp
- Speaker

The pre-amp is your basic tone-controller, where you can adjust things such as treble, mids, and bass.
The power-amp is the part which amplifies your signal, making it louder by using the volume-pot (the gain is also a part of the poweramp I believe)
The speaker is what gives you the sound.

A head is a combination of a pre-amp and a power amp, while the speakers are in a separate unit known as the cabinet.

A pre-amp on its own won't do much for you except process your signal. Any effect pedal, multieffect and processor is sort of like a pre-amp if you like.

Alot of people tend to use different pre-amps and processors in a rack, such as eq's and distortion (if they're not using amp-distotion). In cases such as these, there's no need for a head, as all the signal processing is done in the separate pre-amp.
In these cases they usually have a separate rackmounted power-amp, and channel the signal into a cab, or straight to a PA/mixer/recorder.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Quote by Kaz3-6-0
So I have money to spare, so I want to buy some gear for my rig. Right now, I have a Paul-Gilbert style rig (Guitar straight to pedal straight to amp). After seeing other Player's rigs, I have a question: What is the point of a pre-amp? what does it do? And is a head really necessary?

the head is for the volume,gain, EQ and all the other knobs for your cabinet
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by SinnaSatan
A pre-amp is basically a sound-processor.
Your standard combo amp composes basically of 3 separate parts;
- The Pre-amp
- The Power-amp
- Speaker

The pre-amp is your basic tone-controller, where you can adjust things such as treble, mids, and bass.
The power-amp is the part which amplifies your signal, making it louder by using the volume-pot (the gain is also a part of the poweramp I believe)
The speaker is what gives you the sound.

A head is a combination of a pre-amp and a power amp, while the speakers are in a separate unit known as the cabinet.

A pre-amp on its own won't do much for you except process your signal. Any effect pedal, multieffect and processor is sort of like a pre-amp if you like.

Alot of people tend to use different pre-amps and processors in a rack, such as eq's and distortion (if they're not using amp-distotion). In cases such as these, there's no need for a head, as all the signal processing is done in the separate pre-amp.
In these cases they usually have a separate rackmounted power-amp, and channel the signal into a cab, or straight to a PA/mixer/recorder.

this is right for the most part, but a typical gain knob is part of the preamp
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
this is right for the most part, but a typical gain knob is part of the preamp
Ok, thanks. I wasn't quite sure, so I thought it might be a part of the power-amp.
But when I think about it, it makes more sense in the pre-amp of course.
It sets the level of the low-line signal before it enters the power-amp, does it not?
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
so they're really not necessary?
Morris Les Paul copy
Jackson DKXT Dinky
Seagull Acoustic

Roland Cube 15
Line 6 spider IV 75
Quote by Kaz3-6-0
so they're really not necessary?

honestly, i dont really know what your talking about. what do you have, and what do you think it would be necessary for?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand