So, I'm getting a new amp soon. My budget is about 150 (I've got 190, but tax...). I'd like not to spend that, but if I have to I will. So, what's the best amp for 150 below for my money? It'd be a practice amp, and anything is an improvement on my current (Crappy 2w pocket amp...). I've heard good things about the 15w Vypyrs, and though everyone says the Spider 3's are crap, I tried one out and they aren't that bad. My styles are blues, classic rock, a bit of metal, harder rock, etc.
the vypers are supposed to be good another one to look at is the vox valvetronics which are supposed to be as good
Quote by britishsligean
the vypers are supposed to be good another one to look at is the vox valvetronics which are supposed to be as good

I've heard decent things about the Vox, anyone have anything on how the crunch/clean sounds? Effects? Same with the Vyper. I liked the Spider for the amount of effects and such it had. A
Also, just a note, this will have to be bought from Guitar Center, so if it isn't a amp I can find in stores, don't suggest it.
Roland Cube 20x or 30x...whichever one fits ur price...the metal setting is just beautiful! and the onboard effects are suprisingly good!
Quote by Daire
Roland Cube 20x or 30x...whichever one fits ur price...the metal setting is just beautiful! and the onboard effects are suprisingly good!

I tried out a roland micro-cube, didn't really like it. Mind listing off some of the effects in comparison to the vypyr? That's a semi-important thing, as I won't be investing in any pedals until mid-july.
Edit: Checked out the Roland 15, looks pretty good for metal. But, how are the blues and clean settings?
Last edited by Nthomp at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by Nthomp
I tried out a roland micro-cube, didn't really like it. Mind listing off some of the effects in comparison to the vypyr? That's a semi-important thing, as I won't be investing in any pedals until mid-july.

Ya the micro cube suks balls alrite... if u play at home aswell the power squeezer function is great on the cube....it lowers the power of the amp but keeps all the effects and sustain at their normal level..so u lose no tone or cruch like u do wen u just turn down the volume...the effects are phaser, flanger, tremolo and chorus and theres a seperate knob for delay and reverb which sound great and i use alot. the lead settings are Tube Drive, Metal Stack, Metal, Distortion, Overdrive and a Acoustic simulator.
hope that helps
The Vypyr 15 is a great practice amp. I made a sample clip in my profile. The crunch tones do sound a little grainy, but that or muddy is pretty typical of digital multifx. The Vypyr has some great cleans and low gain tones. You get simultaneous use of delay and reverb, plus one of several other FXs like chorus, slap back echo, tremolo, phaser, octave, tubescreamer, etc (can't remember the rest). If you get industrious, you can fit a 10" speaker in the cab.
Very much. At this point, it's a tossup between it and the peavey, the deciding factor being blues and clean settings. Anyone mind commenting on that?
theres vids on Youtube of the Clean setting on the cube...i play thru a LTD EX-400 with EMG 81/60 which is a pretty metal set up but i still get really rich and warm sounds out of it...i just love playing blues with a touch of reverb using the bridge pickup! Pure Utter Bliss!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kW6bGpFkX4
ya i was hooked on it from the first day i played it in the music store! Ur making a great investment man!!! Good luk and keep shredding!
BTW wat guitar do u hav?
Quote by Daire
ya i was hooked on it from the first day i played it in the music store! Ur making a great investment man!!! Good luk and keep shredding!
BTW wat guitar do u hav?

I've got a silvertone revolver modified with a humbucker. It's not great, but it works
Don't settle yet - I can guarantee you that the Vox Valvetronix has a better clean/crunch tone than the Cube, which is best at teh metalz.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Don't settle yet - I can guarantee you that the Vox Valvetronix has a better clean/crunch tone than the Cube, which is best at teh metalz.

I don't play that much metal anyways, just some ozzy, black sabbath, etc.
The Roland has the effects, which at this point is more important to me than mild difference in tone.
i'd suggest a valvetronix, better than the vypyr unless youll be playing a good amount of modern metal

EDIT: the valvetronix has effects...
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.