hi all, i dislike the current pickups in my passive rockbass corvette (MEC's) the tone feels a bit thin in my opinion and doesnt suit me at all, i know a lot of people like them but its just my opinion (dont flame me ). what would be suggestions for replacement j pickups, am a player of all types of rock (inc. metal) and also a fair bit of prog so it needs to be fairly versatile.

thanks.
touche lol, fair point actually, will look at.

any other suggestions?
Barts do seem to be the favourite option fior Warwicks, but just see what dont you like about your mecs.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I would have thought EMG would be a solid investment if you're looking for active rock/metal pickups. Bartolinis are common, but Im not sure about their application in the rock field, I have them filed under the higher end 'jazz-fusion' brigade because Im biased like that.
Worth checking out for more J-Bass style pickups rather than soapbars like the MECs or EMGs are Nordstrand and Lindy Fralin who do replica J-Bass pickups, which would be better for rock than the Bartolinis. Theyd certainly thicken your tone.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Bartolini
Seymour Duncan

I always wondered what would happen if somebody asked one of the pickup winders on UG to make them a bass pickup...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Try looking into basslines... I was at a local guitar shop and there was a used Corvette (German made) with bassline pickups and it sounded awesome. Really brought out the mids in the bass, made it growl more than just purr...
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Quote by the humanity
Bartolini
Seymour Duncan

I always wondered what would happen if somebody asked one of the pickup winders on UG to make them a bass pickup...

this. I also really like my EMG's in my schecter, but I think most of my tone is style, so I don't know what you'll think of it.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
You're in the UK, right?

http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/

Give them the size of your current pickups, tell them the tone you're looking for and they'll make a set for you. The standard Jazz pups go for about £40 each, so it won't be too expensive. If I ever wanted a P or J pup, they'd be the first company i'd go to.
Quote by samskii
this. I also really like my EMG's in my schecter, but I think most of my tone is style, so I don't know what you'll think of it.

yeah, I hate those bloody things.

they sound terrible with dead strings. I can't afford to keep buying new strings.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
on the subject of replacing passive pups with active ones is there anything else i have to do in comparison to replacing active with active or passive with passive? im not so knowledgeable on pickup replacement and i do not want mess things up or make obvious mistakes.

thanks,
You'll need new pots if you're changing from passives to actives.

250K's to 25K's I think. Check the numbers though.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I'm in a similar situation, thinking about replacing the active MEC's in my Warwick Corvette Standard with something, I've been thinking about getting some Seymour Duncan Quater Pounders as I wouldn't mind a punchier sound
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis