View poll results: Which would be better
D'Addario set
11 42%
Ernie Ball set
10 38%
Something else
5 19%
Voters: 26.
Alright, so I've decided I want to take my guitar into a shop (RG3EX1QM) and have it setup for some heavier gauge strings.

Right now I have some D'Addario 10-42's that are just too loose for drop C, so I was thinking some sort of 11's would be a good option. I want to still be able to play in standard without any huge issues, as well as drop C.

I was thinking either D'Addario EXL116 or Ernie Ball 2267

D'Addario ones - Gauges: 11-14-18-30-42-52
Ernie Ball ones - Gauges: 11-15-22-30-42-54
Current set - Gauges: 10-13-17-26-36-46

So, let me know which one is the better choice, or if something entirely different would be best.
I personally like D'Addario Light top Heavy bottoms. I don't play in drop C though. I usually play in E Standard now. I used to do the D Standard thing and they worked great for it too. The lowest I went was Dethklok's tuning and Between the Buried and Me, I can't remember if they were the same or which was lower. The Light Top Heavy Bottoms worked well for everything I threw at them.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Mar 22, 2009,
yeah definitely the 12's for drop c. Or Ernie Ball Skinny top Heavy bottoms.
DR strings.. theres a set called medium-heavy there something like 10-52 i think im going to set my guitar up with those strings =D i use the mediums now and they sound amaizngggggg
I like Ernie .10-.52s for anything from standard E to two and a half steps down to B.
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Dean Cemetery Gates Rzrbck
Marshall MG250 (screw you guys everyone i kno loves this amp)
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
MXR 10 Band EQ (black, not blue)
I don't like D'Addario too much and they're WAY too bright when you first put them on. It's really annoying me.

I'm also using DR on 3 of my guitars at the moment and they're ok, i like them more than D'Addario. However, i think ernie ball is my favorite. I haven't tried them for a bit, though.
Rotosound...

and i was in a nu metal band for a few weeks (no surprise)
and i have 9's on my ESP and it handled drop C... and thats as low as i could go hahaha......

but yes, i use rotosound for all my electrics... superb strings if you ask me
My only concern with going to 12 would be for standard tuning. Wouldn't there be way too much tension in standard tuning with a set of 12's?... or am I mistaken?
Dean Markley Blue Steel .13s sound great when down tuned.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by passive64
My only concern with going to 12 would be for standard tuning. Wouldn't there be way too much tension in standard tuning with a set of 12's?... or am I mistaken?

not sure, SRV played 13's and went one half a step down
Quote by passive64

It's not too much tension. You'll want to get the truss rod adjusted but it's not a huge deal. Alternatively, you could leave the guitar in Drop C with 12's and when you want to play standard, tune the low string to D and snap a capo on the second fret. BAM! E standard.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Last edited by Free to Guitar at Mar 22, 2009,