Page 1 of 2
I notice a ton of starters usually have a line 6 spider, marshall mg, ect. as their first amp and some sort of fender strat lookin thing as their first guitar.

Just curious to see people's opinions. I'm a little awkward my first setup was/still is (half at least, I got a better amp) a CRATE GTDR15 amp and BC Rich Revenge Warlock (Jackson SL2h is on its way)
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
crate is pretty often a first amp
PSN: KevGuy47
------▓▓▓▓▓
----▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
----▒▒▒░░
--░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒
------░░░░░░░
----▒▒▒▒▒
--▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒
░░▓▓░░
░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░
░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░
----▓▓▓----▓▓▓
--▒▒▒--------▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒--------▒▒▒▒
it used to be gorillas, than it was crates tied with the marshall mg and than it was spiders, and now it's switching over to bugera/ spiders
Last edited by Voltaire1 at Mar 22, 2009,
My first electric setup was some crappy Crate and one of the cheaper Jackson Dinkys. Soon after that when I realized I wanted to stick with it I moved on to a Vox Valvetronix.
My 1st guitar was a Signed Fender Telecaster but i had so ****ty no name 10 watt amp...its was disgraceful to play a tele thru sumting like that so i got a roland cube! then a ESP LTD EX 400..hoping to start a custom build soo too...
Quote by Voltaire1
it used to be gorillas, than it was crates tied with the marshall mg and than it was spiders, and now it's switching over to bugera/ spiders

Bugera?
who gets $600 for there first amp?
I'd say MG's and Frontmen for most common
Spiders too
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
My first guitar was a Fender Starcaster Starter Set that my Dad picked up from Costco.

My first bass was a starter P-Bass set I got from a local music shop.

Both sets came with amps.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Noticed that too there is like a million strat rip-offs and different brands their so commen its crazy 80% of starter kits etc have them in

as for amps started out on a Berhinger culdnt remeber exact model tho wasnt too bad
Quote by ShredGod George
Bugera?
who gets $600 for there first amp?
I'd say MG's and Frontmen for most common
Spiders too

600 dollars is not much at all.

when people go into stores such as guitar center or sam ash asking what to get for a start amp the salespeople go to whatever is the flashiest. -line 6 spider, anyone? but now that bugeras are affordable, the salespeople will say, "nothing beats a solid tube amp" and being such tools, the parents will say, "OH YES MARSHALLS HAVE TUBES THIS BUGERA IS A MARSHALL"
First was a Squier pack. Frontman 15g for an amp, Squier Affinity strat for a guitar.
I'd say that the big change will be from Spiders and MG's to Vypyrs and cubes.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Voltaire1
600 dollars is not much at all.

when people go into stores such as guitar center or sam ash asking what to get for a start amp the salespeople go to whatever is the flashiest. -line 6 spider, anyone? but now that bugeras are affordable, the salespeople will say, "nothing beats a solid tube amp" and being such tools, the parents will say, "OH YES MARSHALLS HAVE TUBES THIS BUGERA IS A MARSHALL"

Spiders are $99 though
and i still think people are stupid enough to take modeling over tubes(except Axefx, which are awesome)
and $600 is twice what a starter pack costs, which is what most people(around here) seem to get
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
Spiders are $99 though
and i still think people are stupid enough to take modeling over tubes(except Axefx, which are awesome)
and $600 is twice what a starter pack costs, which is what most people(around here) seem to get

Alright, fine, bugeras are the choice of uninformed n00bs after their line 6 spider when they walk into a store and say, "I NEED SOMETHING TO GIG WITH THAT'S ROUGHLY 700 DOLLARS"
I started with a Squier Strat with the Fender Frontman 15g, then I got a marshall 15mg.
i started out with a blue yamaha pacfica guitar(basically another start copy) and a drive amp or something like that. it all came in a starter kit, but i think the yamaha pacifica is still an awesome guitar
I started out with an Ibanez starter pack.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by ccase
I started with a Squier Strat with the Fender Frontman 15g, then I got a marshall 15mg.

Why would you go from crap to crappier?

I started with a Squier Tele and P-Bass with a Fender rumble bass amp. Now I have a Valvetronix and a GK bass amp.
Quote by gourd42
i was going to insult thedude97, BUT HIS AVATAR SHOWS MORDOR!
I still have a Marshall MG250DFX, and I started with a squier strat type thing but now have and ESP LTD MH-1000
So this is it, my time to live
Can't sit around and watch my life pass by
I started off with your standard typical Fender Squire for $100 off the floor of Guitar Center.

Here is my first amp:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MetalHead916/blog/

LMAO.

My pops said .. if you stick with it for a couple of months, I will get you a better amp (or maybe actually, AN AMP!)

Regardless of me ripping up the star spangled banner or playing Metallica riffs for his drunken buddies in mere months...me and this thing got to know each other over the year we jammed together. Nothing like 3 hour jam sessions with my buddy, the HoneyTone!
Last edited by MetalHead916 at Mar 23, 2009,
I'd say most amps are the ones that come with squire kits.

I have to say, those who started with a Marshall MG or Spider III should be greatful they didn't have to deal with one of the squire amps.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'd say most amps are the ones that come with squire kits.

I have to say, those who started with a Marshall MG or Spider III should be greatful they didn't have to deal with one of the squire amps.

I agree.

I started with a MG and while there are better options there are also worse. After playing my friends epiphone starter pack amp I feel like I was really lucky to have what I had.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
i started with a bc rich warlock nj series and a ross systems 60 watt solid state amp and a boss mt-2 metal zone lmao
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Last edited by Harvesterofsrrw at Mar 23, 2009,
Samick Malibu (Strat Copy) and a Washburn Bad Dog! Awesome t0nez.

i don't think anyone else, unless you get your gear from Midtown Music, has my beginner setup. actually, i dont know anyone who has ever seen a Malibu, come to think of it.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
i started with a $40 mail-order catalog guitar with the amp built into the guitar. it runs off a 9v battery. it has a power switch and a volume nob. i later moved up to a $10 or something First-Act amp. its all a piece of crap but it was my starter. i still have it, i dont think its ever gonna leave me hahahaha
i started with a Fender STARcaster and then moved on to a Epiphone Les Paul standard
the starcaster is a pretty good guitar but it never stays in tune.
for and amp i started with a 10w no name amp then an epi 15w amp then to a XXX then a blackheart and then to a 6505+ combo (soon)
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I'm sure spiders, MGs, and Frontmans are the most common amps. As for guitars probably Squier strats and epiphone special IIs
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
my first rig was a silverface bassman and a peavey raptor or something like that.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
y'know, i think this will go well here. i posted this in the "marshall" thread that was closed, and I feel this needs some airtime.

Quote by myself

I actually do not find it a bit odd. I know for many young guitarists, who have just started playing, this is quite the common mistake to make. when you see a legendary name (such as Marshall) on a higher wattage halfstack, you probably will cream yourself. you think "wow, all my idols use these amps, they must be amazing!". those first couple of months of playing, we do not recognize the price/wattage/quality ratio, so thinking that a big, loud, cheap amp is good. this being said, I do believe the lower wattage MG/spider III's (15 watts and below) are good practice/beginner amps. especially the MG, because once again you see the name "marshall" on your amp and think "this amp is great, I sound so good because of it!" which will inspire you to play longer and practice harder to get better.

I'm not doing a tl;dr. read the whole friggin' thing.
i later "upgraded" to a strat like yamaha and yamaha amp. after that i moved on up to a Marshall MG and a lower end ibanez. Gross. Anyway, i think its common for starters to get low end fender and marshall because its in their budget and makes them sound cool to say yeah i have a Marshall amp. Thats what i did atleast and boy do i regret it. looking back tho its all gotten me this far and no matter what my set-up i still love playing the guitar.
Last edited by ryanfit4battle at Mar 23, 2009,
I have a MIM Strat and a Line 6 Spider II (30W). They're pretty great and there's no way I'll ever get rid of the Strat (my first guitar after all), but I'm just starting to get good enough to invest in some higher quality gear. Just bought my Drive Zone today, gonna see how that goes. Should be fun.
I had an Epiphone Special II with a Marshall MG 15w I believe. It sounded alright when I had just started playing, but I quickly moved up the gear chain. However, I still use the small Marshall in my living room when people are watching TV because its quiet and I can plug headphones into it. Its really only around for convenience; if I got a chance to sell both the Epiphone Special and the Marshall I would so someone else could start learning.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Skierinanutshel
y'know, i think this will go well here. i posted this in the "marshall" thread that was closed, and I feel this needs some airtime.

This is true. There is nothing at all wrong with MG's and Spiders as practice amps. Its the models above 15 watts most people here dislike, because they are just loud practice amps, and they're a waste of money.
I started off with a Washburn bad dog 15 lol, it was fairly decent as a starter amp. Then guitar-wise, I first of all got a crafter PRS copy (actually a crafter, rather than a cruiser ).

So, not too bad for me.
Quote by thedude97
Why would you go from crap to crappier?

I started with a Squier Tele and P-Bass with a Fender rumble bass amp. Now I have a Valvetronix and a GK bass amp.

This was when I first started, back when I didnt know ****. I traded my friend because of the big ol' Marshall on it. Thought i stole it from him.
My simple setup right now is what I've started on. I was all intent on getting a spider iii when I first looked at electric guitars + amps but thanks to this wonderful site I have learned a ton about good and bad gear.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Page 1 of 2