ok i just bought a schecter hellraiser c-1 fr, and im loving it, the active pickups are so kickass, anyway, about my OLD guitar, my Ibanez RG2EX1, i was thinking of making it a riffing guitar spicing it up a lil, using it for modern rock music, and putting these strings on it http://www.guitarcenter.com/Everly-9113-X-Rockers-Lo-Tune-Drop-C-Electric-Guitar-Strings-106054-i1123312.gc , but anyway, what are really nice EMG pickups that are good for riffing, cause the "emg made" ibanez pickups are not doing that well on it now, thx
Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: Mike Mushok Baritone w/BKP Juggernaut's
Ibanez: RG321MH

Alvarez: MD-60C
Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Modded 2004 XTC 101B Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Last edited by IbanezRG2EX1 at Mar 22, 2009,
the pickups on my ibanez are passive not active, so i need passive ones
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
dont i need a 9v battery tho, cause thats what my schecter has in the back for its active pickups
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Quote by JELIFISH19
You can get actives

Yeah, but you have to gut the back of the guitar to make the space for the battery.

TS, I wouldn't recommend EMG passives from personal experience. If you're looking for decent passives for modern rock, look at Seymour duncan or Dimarzio. I'd take Dimarzio anyday but it's up to you.
dam... ok i MIGHT keep in mind gutting the back, so what kind of dimarzios or seymour duncans, we looking at here, any links?? please
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
ok..... hm... what would it take, how much work would it take to get the emg 81/60 actives in my ibanez???
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
probably at least $200 for the hardware itself. I'm assuming you're not doing the labor yourself, so add in labor costs. Upwards of $250-$300? Oh, and btw, if you're going to ask for links and all that, don't just disregard it by asking about something that's already been warned against.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Yeah, but you have to gut the back of the guitar to make the space for the battery.

TS, I wouldn't recommend EMG passives from personal experience. If you're looking for decent passives for modern rock, look at Seymour duncan or Dimarzio. I'd take Dimarzio anyday but it's up to you.
If by "gutting the back" you mean routing out a cavity for the battery, that's not entirely true. There may already be some open space back there where he could fit a battery.
Strats & Seagulls
alright.. but what if i want to do the labor myself... i got some woodshop experience, and im in Electronics 2 in my school, so i can solder, what i ment was, what tools would i need and all that
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Quote by IbanezRG2EX1
alright.. but what if i want to do the labor myself... i got some woodshop experience, and im in Electronics 2 in my school, so i can solder, what i ment was, what tools would i need and all that

Ehhh,if you still play through that MG then actives probably wouldn't be a good choice.They'd be more expensive and you'd need to do some body work on the guitar just to get a nominal tone improvement.If you play solid state then a set of high output passives would serve you better IMO.You already have a guitar with actives,so why not add some variety to your pup sets?

Now I'm sure some kid will come in here and say something like "Zomg no! I have teh emg's and play through teh spider and they're br00talz!" but to really get the benefit of the active design you should use them with a naturally high gain tube amp.They're designed to push tube amps and perform best when used in conjunction with them.

Well,there's my useless opinion,hope it helps.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

well i have a really high quality distortion remember, Sansamp GT2, i ONLY use the mg for the cleans, the distortion is **** on amp compared to sansamp so... what do u think, cause i really wanna spice up the RG2EX1 with some awesome active emgs like my schecter, but for riffing
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Last edited by IbanezRG2EX1 at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
If by "gutting the back" you mean routing out a cavity for the battery, that's not entirely true. There may already be some open space back there where he could fit a battery.

But how often does one get that lucky?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']But how often does one get that lucky?
I guess not that often, but I think it would be worth checking for.
Strats & Seagulls
Last edited by xxBR34KD0WN at Mar 22, 2009,
Indeed it would. And it would be a day-maker for me if I found out i could pull it off. Killjoy for the 18v mod fanboys though
haha.... ok so what do u guys think, should i put forth the effort for actives(i think i should... but idk which is a better decision) or should i buy passives.. and it would be an easy install
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Indeed it would. And it would be a day-maker for me if I found out i could pull it off. Killjoy for the 18v mod fanboys though
Haha, true, true.

EDIT: To TS, I would go for a good pair of passives, since actives wouldn't couple too well with you current amp.

Maybe a Dimarzio Super Distortion for the bridge?
Strats & Seagulls
Last edited by xxBR34KD0WN at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by IbanezRG2EX1
haha.... ok so what do u guys think, should i put forth the effort for actives(i think i should... but idk which is a better decision) or should i buy passives.. and it would be an easy install

Personally, I'd go with the passives, as most actives make a guitar sound too sterile, and EMG's in particular make every guitar sound the same. Though ultimately, it's up to you. If you think you can get a decent sound out of the EMG's then go for it.
Quote by Pr0gNut
If you play solid state then a set of high output passives would serve you better IMO.You already have a guitar with actives,so why not add some variety to your pup sets?

+1, couldn't have said it better myself.

Frankly, if your ibanez already has passives in it, its best to stay with passives as you can easily find something similar or better than EMGs. Changing a guitar from passives to actives is kinda alot of work, and even harder if your doing it for the first time. Alot of people (myself included) also find that they prefer a good set of passives to EMGs.

I also agree with the fact that if you've already got one guitar with the EMGs, to keep the other one with different pickups, as it will give you more tonal variety. In short, i'd recommend to stick with passives.

The JB (bridge) 59 (neck) setup that someone already mentioned is a solid combination for heavier sounds imo.
Quote by football4224
The JB (bridge) 59 (neck) setup that someone already mentioned is a solid combination for heavier sounds imo.

Yay! I was indirectly referenced
alright then, the passives it will be then, thank you for your help guys, now this Originally Posted by football4224
The JB (bridge) 59 (neck) setup that someone already mentioned is a solid combination for heavier sounds imo.,
are there any links for those pickups???? if someone could give me them please
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']But how often does one get that lucky?

it should be possible. i got an 81 in my 3EX1 and the vol and tone don't take up much space and the 9v should be able to fit in there however 18v is pushing it.
Quote by IbanezRG2EX1
well i have a really high quality distortion remember, Sansamp GT2, i ONLY use the mg for the cleans, the distortion is **** on amp compared to sansamp so... what do u think, cause i really wanna spice up the RG2EX1 with some awesome active emgs like my schecter, but for riffing

They're still not going to make any major difference - pedals dont respond to active pickups either...just get some decent passives.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i would spend the money on a better amp.

because thru the MG the JB or whatever you get will sound louder, but still not great in any way.

a better higher gain amp, will just make you sound better.

i know because i had a mg50 so i swapped out my schecter's stock pups for JB, that worked ok for a while, but eventually i just wasnt happy until i upgraded my amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by IbanezRG2EX1
alright then, the passives it will be then, thank you for your help guys, now this Originally Posted by football4224
The JB (bridge) 59 (neck) setup that someone already mentioned is a solid combination for heavier sounds imo.,
are there any links for those pickups???? if someone could give me them please

I posted them when I posted the Dimarzio links on the first page.
alright my decision, im just gona buy the JB and 59 passives, thx for everyones help, i cant wait till this is done, this is gona be a perfect heavy riffer!
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module