I've been trying to teach myself guitar for a few months now and have gotten basicly nowhere. Can anyone help me learn a better way to teach myself?
Try to learn scales, techniques, and guitar skills such as fingertapping or other stuff. Scales helped me out so I make up my own stuff.
I'M BACK IN THE SADDLE
well...theres no good way to just suddenly teaching yourself without know what to learn.

i would personally get an instructional dvd or just to first learn tablature and then chords.

look it up in the lessons on this site i'm sure there are both tab lessons and a huge collection of chords.
Member #40 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join.
youtube videos and theory books. and i'd recommend getting a teacher.
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
look for step by step lessons online that go through an orderly way.
your gonna wanna start with picking and fingering techniques then probably rhythm and then you go from there.

finding a guitar teacher wouldnt hurt either
I would start with the bare basics. I am self taught, exclusively. I have practically played with myself a whole lot up until more recently. You need to practice every day for at least an hour. I would suggest running a simple 1-2-3-4 pattern across 4 frets, going up and down the strings to get your finger strength better. Then, learn your open major and minor chords. After you learn them, remember them, and can smoothly transition between them, learn barre chords. If your finger strength is good, start learning some scales. They will help you be able to play something that sounds decent and is enjoyable; and will give you insight on how to make your own things up.

Make sure you check around this site for help, and check this one also:

all-guitar-chords.com

It has been useful to me throughout the years I've been learning, and still is. It has all of the scales and chords among other things.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Hey,

If your looking for tips on how to improve your guitar skills, then try the Guitar Techniques Forum. Its filled with helpful threads on beginner songs to learn and theory to help you move up in your playing. Also be sure to have a look throught the lessons section of the site, for in depth lessons on loads of different topics

For future reference, the New Members Q&A Forum is for member introductions and questions on the running of the site. If you get the chances, post an introduction, and read those of your fellow new members in this thread

Welcome to UG