All right guys, I've came down to the following brand amps to choose from:

Mesa Boogie or ENGL

Im not exactly sure whats the pros and cons so if you guys can help contrast and compare these two brands of amps whether we are talking about sound, quality, customer service, etc... please say so

Thank you
Excuse me, are you telling us that you know nothing about either brand but have decided to buy their products anyway? It seems like it to me.

Now, if you tell us what music you play we might suggest a specific model, or something from some other brand if we think it'd fit your needs better.

It's also important to tell us where you are located. Generally, ENGLs are great value in Europe but a bit pricey in the US, with Mesa it's the other way around.
Both great companies and back it up with there services and quality AND TONE.

It depends on what you play and what tones you want.

Either of them would be counted as a good buy.
theres a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE amount of variation within Mesa's models alone
Engl's too
which models do you mean?
And what kind of music do you play?
engl powerball maybe?

Edit:a little research shows that he plays: Suffocation, Morbid Angel, Sepultura, Children of Bodom, Pantera, Black Dahlia Murder, Suicidal Tendencies, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Obituary, BB King, Led Zeppelin, Ozzy Osbourne, Testament, Jimi Hendrix Etc.
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Last edited by ShredGod George at Mar 22, 2009,
they both have excellent quality- but it depends which amp were talkin here, id take a low end ENGL over a low end mesa, but id take a mark IV over just about any ENGL besides the invader. so yeah... have you actually decided on a product?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by TheQuailman
Excuse me, are you telling us that you know nothing about either brand but have decided to buy their products anyway? It seems like it to me.

Now, if you tell us what music you play we might suggest a specific model, or something from some other brand if we think it'd fit your needs better.

It's also important to tell us where you are located. Generally, ENGLs are great value in Europe but a bit pricey in the US, with Mesa it's the other way around.

Im located in the US, California, also Im looking for of course a versatile amp, but it sounds huge, ballsy, has great distortion, but it must sound tight. Im more into the dark sounding amps (with clarity of course) too against the really bright sound amps to if that helps at all...
Quote by swordsman14
Im located in the US, California, also Im looking for of course a versatile amp, but it sounds huge, ballsy, has great distortion, but it must sound tight. Im more into the dark sounding amps (with clarity of course) too against the really bright sound amps to if that helps at all...

I'd look at mesa Mark's
the rectos are muddy( to me) and Engl's can be bright
Quote by guitardude34875
for your style, location and obvious budget,

Mesa Roadster

/thread
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by swordsman14

get a bogner uberschall.

/end thread

btw, you're a tool.
Are ENGL's really that bright sounding compared to other amps? Just curious because I've heard some clips of them on youtube that sound dark on youtube but I could be wrong though, also when it comes to tone I want the amp to provide great low bottom end too.
Yep, Engls are plenty bright. It's no prob though if you know how to work with the treble and presence knobs. I don't know much about Mesas, but for versatility and the styles you mentioned, look at the following Engls: Raider, Sovereign, Savage, eventually Powerball or Blackmore.
Quote by Voltaire1
get a bogner uberschall.

/end thread

btw, you're a tool.

who me?
Quote by swordsman14
Are ENGL's really that bright sounding compared to other amps? Just curious because I've heard some clips of them on youtube that sound dark on youtube but I could be wrong though, also when it comes to tone I want the amp to provide great low bottom end too.

Youtube isnt a good indicator of tone
You can dial it out easily too

If you like dark amps, you should look at 6505's they're dark as hell

Recto's have a huge bottom end but it gets muddy
Quote by guitardude34875
Quote by ShredGod George
Youtube isnt a good indicator of tone
You can dial it out easily too

If you like dark amps, you should look at 6505's they're dark as hell

this information is false.

they excel in upper midrange cutting tone.

a mesa dual/triple rectifier is dark and area often paired with the 6505 in stereo to compliment each other. one being dark and one being bright.
Quote by Voltaire1

a mesa dual/triple rectifier is dark and area often paired with the 6505 in stereo to compliment each other. one being dark and one being bright.

maybe it's the plus i'm thinking of?
Most of the time whn I hear 6505's theyre scooped though
maybe thats why we've had different experiences?
i was gonna say, Mesa's are dark too, darker than the 6505
I like bright tone though, might be why i see them as dark
Quote by guitardude34875
Quote by Voltaire1

the 6505 can be set to darker or brighter sounds, its one of those amps that can do both, but i usually consider the dark sounds on it better. and i think that theyr main focus is lower midrange rather than upper midrange
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by ShredGod George
maybe it's the plus i'm thinking of?
Most of the time whn I hear 6505's theyre scooped though
maybe thats why we've had different experiences?
i was gonna say, Mesa's are dark too, darker than the 6505
I like bright tone though, might be why i see them as dark

you are making terrible blanket statements about mesa amps.

6505s can be scooped.. that won't make them darker, it would just remove all body from their tone, even when scooped they have a clear upper midrange characteristic.
Mesa's only have a flabby low end if you set it that way. I can get a tight bottomed mesa tone very easily, you know, most people just try the amp and fiddle with the knobs, rather than trying the features...and if you switch it to silicon diode and crank the master volume, you get a hella tight sound...most people dont like the thought of silicon diode because "its not t3h t00bz!!!!", however it only pulls the rectification tubes out, not the whole ****ing amp.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by Voltaire1
you are making terrible blanket statements about mesa amps.

6505s can be scooped.. that won't make them darker, it would just remove all body from their tone, even when scooped they have a clear upper midrange characteristic.

I meant the rectifier is dark

the 6505's Ive heard were dark
thats my experience with them
Quote by guitardude34875
Quote by Highwaytohell
Ts do you want british, american, or german voicing?

Hey, can you please define each of those voicings please so it can give me an idea of what I would want?

Thanks
Quote by Highwaytohell
Ts do you want british, american, or german voicing?

Hey, can you please define each of those voicings please so it can give me an idea of what I would want?

Thanks
Quote by huevos
This ain't your granddaddy's 4chan boy.
Hell, this ain't even 4chan. It's more of an Afgani/Russian knock-off.
So, please GTFO.

lol, wut?
Quote by swordsman14

Thanks

american = darker, 6L6/6V6 sound, like fender, boogie, most peaveys, etc...

british = EL34/84, brighter, lots of midrange, less headroom, marshall, laney, etc...

ive never really heard of german voicing though
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Im then looking for an "american" voicing amp then. Oh yeah thanks nutinpwnsgibson for telling me also, I wonder what german voicing is too? But so far Im most likely going to go with an american voicing amp.
German voicing is defined and excelled by ENGL and Diezel and Larry