I was talking to a friend of mine who has a Rickenbacker (just like John Lennon's) and he told me that since my hands are small (about 5 1/2 inches from bottom of my palm to tip of middle finger) that something like that would be ideal for me. Is this true? And are there any other guitars made with more narrow necks?
You'd just want a guitar with a narrower nut width and a thinner neck contour.Something with a 1 5/8" nut width and a shallow "C" type neck profile might be good.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by stilt37
ukelele

GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
Or if you're desperate a smaller scale guitar would definately work.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
You could get a guitar with a shorter scale length. The only one i can think of off the top of my head is the Ibanez Mikro. I don't really know how good it is tho, as I have never played one myself.
not ukelele, mandolin. :P strats have slimmish necks, without being spindly. jackson and ibanez are known for very thin necks.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
daisy rock guitars are made with smaller necks to attract girls, who usually have smaller hands. they have a bunch of guitars that dont acually look girly, so those might be worth a try if you really need a smaller neck. there are also ibanezes with slim necks to try.
there is a Squier Jagmaster with 24" scale i believe.. looks pretty awesome... but i like my 25.5" strat scale...
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
People seem to be confusing scale length for nut and fretboard width in this thread.The scale length isn't the issue here,but the neck contour and the width of the board.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Scale does play a role though. Smaller scale guitars have less distance between the frets which makes it less of a stretch to reach some notes and play certain chords. But the neck shape will have a bigger effect. It would be best if you find a mixture of both.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Scale does play a role though. Smaller scale guitars have less distance between the frets which makes it less of a stretch to reach some notes and play certain chords. But the neck shape will have a bigger effect. It would be best if you find a mixture of both.

From what I got from the original post TS seems to be having more of an issue with the strin spacing,and the size of the neck and board than the distance between the frets.I could be wrong though,and you're right since a small scale does have a small fret distance,but I'm just going with the fact that TS asked for a guitar with a narrower nut width or something like that.

Well, everything here's a bit confused. What we need to know is, do you need a neck that's less wide, thus you can move your fingers around to the front of it really easily? Or is it that you can't stretch to reach farther frets? (Can't stretch enough to reach them I mean)
If it's a scale (Neck lenght) issue, then the first guitar that comes to mind would be one of the old Fender Mustangs with the 22 1/2 in scales. I myself have pretty small hands, yet I do fine with a regular MIA strat. It's just a matter of elasticity really, you'll get used to stretching more, and it'll be much easier later.

Edit: And finding one of those Mustangs probably wouldn't be too easy. D: So it might have been a bad idea to recommend that.
Last edited by -Raiden- at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by Taxi_06
are there any other guitars made with more narrow necks?

I think it's a neck/board width issue

Quote by Pr0gNut
I think it's a neck/board width issue

Dur, you're right, skimming ftl.
Then yeah, tons of guitars are made with slim necks, going back to the MIA Strat which has a great neck. XD Just buy one.
Last edited by -Raiden- at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by -Raiden-
Dur, you're right, skimming ftl.
Then yeah, tons of guitars are made with slim necks, going back to the MIA Strat which has a great neck. XD Just buy one.

My MIA Strat feels like it has a huge neck. But my other guitars are an RG and an SG. Actually, you should try an SG. The neck is tiny. It was way too small to be comfortable for me. It might work perfectly for you.
Really? Probably the year or something then. My old squier has a really wide neck, but it's fairly slim. And I can't stand the feel of most of the LP's I've tried, the necks are just so fat, and my hands too tiny.
Mine is an '06. It's big but it's extremely comfortable for me. It's not very wide either. It's everything that I don't look for in a neck, but I love it for some reason. I haven't picked up a guitar that comes close to it.
daisy rock guitars should be good for you. my hands are 5 1/2 inches too. and i use a daisy rock guitar. not all of their guitars look girlie. so it should b fine. =P
I wouldn't mid a smaller scale guitar, good for wacky holdsworthian stuff
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
just because your hands are small it doesnt mean you need a tiny, slim neck.

you need better technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98y0Q7nLGWk

with that said, there are slim tapered necks on many guitar brands.

from LPs, to ibanez and in between.

i suggest you find a style you like and that suits what you play and then get a model of that guitar that fits your hands.

also dont get a small scale guitar unless you're a little kid or you need a travel guitar.
they dont tune well along the board.

****: i just bumped and wasted my time on an old thread.

DONT BUMP OLD THREADS
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Apr 30, 2009,
Fender Mustang got a shorter scale length. But if you dont like singels you can always change them: