Poll: What do you think?
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you think?
Guitar Hero is more beneficial than non-beneficial.
45 54%
Guitar Hero is more non-beneficial than beneficial.
39 46%
Voters: 84.
Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I'm writing an editorial about Guitar Hero, and I need your help.
It's an editorial about how Guitar Hero is beneficial to teenagers.
First off, what do you guys think? Beneficial, or non-beneficial? Lemme clarify with some examples. Guitar Hero allows teenagers to learn and respect the musicians, and the music, of the 80's and so on. However, it also might hurt them educationally, because of addiction. Please vote!

Also, for the nice & smart people, any ideas on why Guitar Hero can help teenagers learn & respect classic rock?
It's a game.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
It can sometimes be beneficial, but, conversely, it can also be non-beneficial. For example, Guitar hero allows teenagers to learn and respect musicians, and the music, of the 80's and so on. However, it might hurt them educationally, because of addiction.
It can help teenagers learn and respect classic rock.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Do a search. There's the same argument about this pretty much every week or sooner.
Quote by Wulphy
It's a game.

This.

I kinda get mad when people say things like

'Man did you hear of ZZ Top, they like just came out.'

Only because they played La Grange on GH.
Or something to that effect.
Other than that, I don't care.
I don't think addiction is really a problem. I really think it's just a game that get guitar players all riled up.
Can Guitar Hero help teenagers learn important skills like doing their own damn homework?
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by masterbsk
I'll take that as a non-beneficial.

No, the point is that it's just a game. Like Halo. It's there for entertaining purposes not for education or any of that crap that some pathetic toy companies use to get parents to buy their products.
Why don't people ask about the benefits of Halo? It's because it's a game. You don't suddenly start appreciating guns or the landscape outside your dorm window.
It should be the same for Guitar Hero. It's just there for you to have fun. It's not a substitute for guitar and it's not a conspiracy to get people to listen to older music.

Edit: Although, yes, it is a good thing that it exposes people to new music. But my point about over-analyzing a simple game remains.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Last edited by Karvid at Mar 22, 2009,
it definitely exposes kids to music they may not otherwise check out. i don't sit around all day browsing through music i've never heard of to see what's out there, and i'm sure i'm not alone. guitar hero kinda brings a variety to you.

however, it is still basically just sitting in front of a tv hitting buttons in time. it's more like interactive listening than anything else. so i guess all the drawbacks of most video games apply.

it may broaden your musical taste or knowledge, but that's about all the benefit you could get
Quote by BlackandSilver
Kill 'em All in St Anger with the help of the Master of Puppets. He can Ride the Lightning, creating a Death Magnetic.

Myspace
Benifits:

- promoting great music
- fun

Non-Ben:

- faggots who play the game then download the one song that they played by that band and dont download anything else
Quote by cheez1492
it definitely exposes kids to music they may not otherwise check out. i don't sit around all day browsing through music i've never heard of to see what's out there, and i'm sure i'm not alone. guitar hero kinda brings a variety to you.

however, it is still basically just sitting in front of a tv hitting buttons in time. it's more like interactive listening than anything else. so i guess all the drawbacks of most video games apply.

it may broaden your musical taste or knowledge, but that's about all the benefit you could get

Yeah, I agree with that.
it depends if you are a guitar elitist. i sometimes think "oh, cool, people know who eric johnson is." other times its irritating, cuz people think they know everything about guitar music just by playing the game ("you play guitar!? can you play "through the fire and flames?")
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by masterbsk
I'll take that as a non-beneficial.

That's plenty beneficial...

The company released a game, it took off, now they're milking it for all it's worth.

Same thing with WoW and any other popular anything that's released...

They found songs that where cheap and easy to get permission to use, and now with it's popularity more and more bands and songs want to be in the games.

It's 100% exploitation...just like everything else that makes **** tons of money...
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by cheez1492

i do sometimes.
███████████████████████████████████
Quote by guitarsftw
it depends if you are a guitar elitist. i sometimes think "oh, cool, people know who eric johnson is." other times its irritating, cuz people think they know everything about guitar music just by playing the game ("you play guitar!? can you play "through the fire and flames?")

they should never have put that song on there. i hate when people say that
Quote by BlackandSilver
Kill 'em All in St Anger with the help of the Master of Puppets. He can Ride the Lightning, creating a Death Magnetic.

Myspace
Quote by masterbsk
Guitar Hero allows teenagers to learn and respect the musicians,

Teaches them to respect musicians, huh?

I'm pretty sure before you start a song in one of the Guitar Heroes, one of the things it says is, "There's a problem with your bass amp. I can hear it."
Quote by Karvid
No, the point is that it's just a game. Like Halo. It's there for entertaining purposes not for education or any of that crap that some pathetic toy companies use to get parents to buy their products.
Why don't people ask about the benefits of Halo? It's because it's a game. You don't suddenly start appreciating guns or the landscape outside your dorm window.
It should be the same for Guitar Hero. It's just there for you to have fun. It's not a substitute for guitar and it's not a conspiracy to get people to listen to older music.

Edit: Although, yes, it is a good thing that it exposes people to new music. But my point about over-analyzing a simple game remains.

Your right, thats a great point.

I think you should right the editorial instead.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
really doesnt have an beneficial value, beside listening to new bands that you might not have heard of

other than that u want to respect musicians go learn an instrument and take some theory there you go

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Really? Another Guitar Hero thread.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
It can sometimes be beneficial, but, conversely, it can also be non-beneficial. For example, Guitar hero allows teenagers to learn and respect musicians, and the music, of the 80's and so on. However, it might hurt them educationally, because of addiction.
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
Quote by Brick23

*looks at own reply*
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
I guess GTA4 is beneficial to me because it taught me to steal a car. Oh, and COD4 taught me that headshots are the easiest way to kill a man.
Quote by Brick23

Wow, did you edit my post and re-post it or something?
Quote by cheez1492

People its a game that gets people into music. Yes, some people will just download one song by an artist and say that they love that band. It all depends on the person and some take it too far. I used to be a Guitar Hero junkie, and then I actually started playing guitar because I did love it. Can we just leave this whole situation alone and let Activision run the damn game into the ground like they're already doing?
Quote by thelurker

this fact i have asserted about myself, is it wrong?
Quote by BlackandSilver

Myspace
Quote by cheez1492
this fact i have asserted about myself, is it wrong?

Kind of. I mean, I don't just sit around waiting for the next Guiatr Hero to come out to find out what I should be listening to, and neither should anyone else. Hence, going out and searcing for music you've never heard of.
Sometimes benificial, it lets people know about real music and not all the (c)rap we hear today, but I hate it when people act like they are so cool just because they can play through the fire and flames on expert. Play real guitar instead
Quote by VanCamp
Pee on things.

Quote by tukk04
back in black-AC/DC
because maybe it'd revive me instantly
i just hope i don't come back black

My Gear
Epiphone SG
Roland 15 Watt Cube Amp
Samick J-2 Acoustic
I think it kind of teaches teens to listen to more rock than other genres and will push some to learn to play guitar. Which isn't such a bad thing, now is it?
Quote by Original Post
Hey guys, I'm writing an editorial about Guitar Hero, and I need your help.
It's an editorial about how Guitar Hero is beneficial to teenagers.
First off, what do you guys think? Beneficial, or non-beneficial? Lemme clarify with some examples. Guitar Hero allows teenagers to learn and respect the musicians, and the music, of the 80's and so on. However, it also might hurt them educationally, because of addiction. Please vote!

Quote by Karvid's reply

Quote by Brick23's post

Quote by Karvid
*looks at own reply*

Just thought I'd join in the combofagging
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
Quote by Karvid

Agreed, however, they come to disrespect actual instruments since
tHeY R tEh hARDcOREZ ANd gEt A 100 pErceNT ON RaInIng BlUd1!01010!1010!1010!
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by Brick23
Just thought I'd join in the combofagging

But yours is word for word what I wrote. You copy/pasted my reply...

Quote by Thrasher51
Agreed, however, they come to disrespect actual instruments since
tHeY R tEh hARDcOREZ ANd gEt A 100 pErceNT ON RaInIng BlUd1!01010!1010!1010!

My actual reply came later, I was just rewording everything TS said. I didn't actually add anything to his original post. I did it for the lulz. And I failed, which is why I gave a serious response later on.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Your right, thats a great point.

I think you should right the editorial instead.

I think you should learn how to spell instead.
Page 1 of 2