Well I'm trying to find a picking style which will help me shred on the guitar while being able to pinch harmonics.

Somthing like in the style of Dimebag Darrel and Synyster Gates

Could anyone give me some advice?
Paul Gilbert can do pinch harmonics while shredding, and his technique is pretty amazing overall.

Some screamin' pinch harmonic-y licks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2imVRh83Ko
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
"shredding" and "pinch harmonics" while "shredding" can only come from practice, not a OMFG pickin stylezzz. Just practice and add pinch harmonics every once in a while.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by SeekingAdvice
Couldya tell me how he holds his pick?
I could, but the man himself could probably tell you better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NOMn3P9AE
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
^ haha i'll look into it thanks :P

Also at sliverdark, I just wanna a good pickign style that will allow me to do both. My current picking style is a variation of the tradition way ( between the thumb and index ) except that the pick is slightly shifted outwards so it's easier to do my crap ass PHs. I'm afraid that it's going to affect my overall speed.
^Well, if it helps, I hold my pick the standard way, between by index and thumb, but my wrist movement is similar to turning a doorknob. I alternate pick all the way. I can do pinchies but its just a lack of technique and practice that allows me to not play them consistently.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Last edited by SilverDark at Mar 22, 2009,
If you're picking you shouldn't really move your wrist too much like you would strumming. When you say styles your referring to like chicken picking and flat picking and all that, but I'm just assuming you mean how you hold it. Well as they said between the thumb and index, just make sure your pushing the pick with your thumb and not with your wrist...for the longest time I kept my pick angled down and back towards the bridge and had no idea about it until last year lol. I switch between the two now, the old way for strumming and the new way for picking. Just find what works for you without feeling like your breaking your wrist. As long as you're not fingerpicking you can do pinch harmonics holding it the way everyone has stated.
GOMEZ
Originally posted by Marroon5MustDie
It's spelled khoyaschotsii. Trust me, I'm a Native American. My name is Running Rainbow.
Quote by SeekingAdvice
What do you mean by using the thumb to pick?

Took me a while too, but he's talking about pick angling. Paul Gilbert talks about it from ramm_ty's second link.
Quote by DiminishedFifth