Ok heres the deal. I have a floyd rose bridge with the locking nut and all that stuff.
About a week ago I had the factory strings on, and everything was tweaked exactly like i like it. Then I decided to detune it to Drop C. It still sounded good, but it sounded kinda loose and rattly in a few spots on the neck, so I decided to get some heavier gauge strings. So I bought some Ernie Ball: Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom slinky's and some Ernie Ball: Hybrid slinky's. I tried both of them and they were rattling a lot in drop C so I just decided to screw that idea and just stick with normal tuning but both sets of strings rattled when I put them on. Does anyone know why this would be happening?
Quote by From_The_Ashes
Ok heres the deal. I have a floyd rose bridge with the locking nut and all that stuff.
About a week ago I had the factory strings on, and everything was tweaked exactly like i like it. Then I decided to detune it to Drop C. It still sounded good, but it sounded kinda loose and rattly in a few spots on the neck, so I decided to get some heavier gauge strings. So I bought some Ernie Ball: Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom slinky's and some Ernie Ball: Hybrid slinky's. I tried both of them and they were rattling a lot in drop C so I just decided to screw that idea and just stick with normal tuning but both sets of strings rattled when I put them on. Does anyone know why this would be happening?

this happened because anytime you change tuning or string guage on a dual locking floyd you need to adjust the spring tention to accomodate.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Alright so the hours I spent to get the springs perfect were for nothing. ha ha ha. Dang.
Btw, If I put on the A string (for ex.) and tuned it and it was rattling, would it matter that that is the only string on the guitar?

P.S.

So if I dont want to change the springs ill have to go back to the same gauge strings I had previously? And what are the regular Gauge numbers that would be shipped in a factory guitar?
Last edited by From_The_Ashes at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by From_The_Ashes
Alright so the hours I spent to get the springs perfect were for nothing. ha ha ha. Dang.
Btw, If I put on the A string (for ex.) and tuned it and it was rattling, would it matter that that is the only string on the guitar?

P.S.

So if I dont want to change the springs ill have to go back to the same gauge strings I had previously? And what are the regular Gauge numbers that would be shipped in a factory guitar?

i dont know what you mean when you say "does it matter". It's up to you if you want to play a guitar with one rattling string. if it were me though, i'de try to correct that problem.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
I meant will the rattle be any different with all the other strigns on. Ha ha. sorry. That wasnt very clear.
FRs just dont do well if your going to swap tunings alot. If you get it all set right then change tuning or string gauge you have to do it all over again.