I've been playing for about a year and am bored with the basics that i play over and over till i get sick. Chords, scales, chords, scales etc.

I'd quite like to learn picking, much like Doc Watson or Chet Atkins, but have no idea how to go about this. I now know there is a lot more to the guitar than running a pick up and down the strings and want to be more intricate.

Any pointers??

Cheers
The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.
this is a tab site, go find a tab of some solo you like and learn it. Then you'll know how to use the scales you've been practicing
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by Survivalism
You've been here for over a year and haven't seen this?

I've been registered here for over a year, that doesn't mean i've read everything posted within that time. So in answer to your question - no i haven't seen this.
The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.
Quote by Survivalism
You've been here for over a year and haven't seen this?

take your rude 'tude somewhere else, dude.

it's not wanted here in the newbie forum.
Quote by The Daver
I've been playing for about a year and am bored with the basics that i play over and over till i get sick. Chords, scales, chords, scales etc.

I'd quite like to learn picking, much like Doc Watson or Chet Atkins, but have no idea how to go about this. I now know there is a lot more to the guitar than running a pick up and down the strings and want to be more intricate.

Any pointers??

Cheers
This question belongs in Guitar Techniques, but I'd hesitate to ask a Mod to move this thread for you. It's already ugly thanks to Survivalism's post.

There's a sticky in GT that might help: READ THIS STICKY (guide to all techniques) It has a section on right-hand technique. Else post a new thread with your question there.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.