Hey all!
I'm looking into getting a 5 string bass before the end of the year because my birthday is in November & Christmas is down there too, so i'll have more money - probably £500-ish.

I was wondering if there were any good 5 strings that were able to play metal (Fear Factory kinda stuff) to ska (Streetlight Manifesto kinda stuff) & not have a bolt on neck, as i'm not a fan of them when it comes to playing the higher notes.

so to sum it up:
5 string for metal to ska without a bolt on neck as close to £500 as possible, or under
& i don't really like to go used either

Open to any suggestions.
This is probably a little biased because I'm looking to get one of these basses but I believe them to be quite versatile. I play in a cover band that does lots of stuff like led zeppelin, van halen, and newer stuff like theory of a dead man. we also do 3 sublime songs. and i am into heavy metal and power metal. I'm looking at a higher model one but I assumed 500 pounds to be about 750-800 usd so I'd suggest this ibanez btb. it is neck through design and all. here's the company page and the guitar center page.

http://ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-BTB575FM

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-BTB575FM-5-String-Bass-Guitar-517308-i1392340.gc
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Well, if you hadn't said no bolt-on then I would say without a shadow of a doubt a G&L Tribute L-2500. Got mine 2nd hand off ebay for about £400.

Fantastic tone, very versatile, controls include active/passive switch, series/parallel switch and two band EQ. Same electronics as the full American-built instruments, fantastic build quality. Utter bargain.

Never had any trouble with upper fret access, so if you could reconsider a bolt-on then I seriously recommend it.
ibanezSR505 STRONGLY recommended and i'm pretty sure that'll be backed up by other UGers.
Quote by Jake the Peg
ibanezSR505 STRONGLY recommended and i'm pretty sure that'll be backed up by other UGers.

i was already thinking about this, but wasn't sure how versatile it was, so thanks
Quote by _-Joey-_
i was already thinking about this, but wasn't sure how versatile it was, so thanks

if you don't mind the fact that it's bolt-on, get it. In my incredibly biased opinion, it's bloody fantastic. Really versatile, and a good weight. Aaron (PluckU) should be along soon to scream 505 as well.
I agree, the 505 is great.
Schecter makes some good offers.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Canadian_basser
if you don't mind the fact that it's bolt-on, get it. In my incredibly biased opinion, it's bloody fantastic. Really versatile, and a good weight. Aaron (PluckU) should be along soon to scream 505 as well.

how good is the upper fret access??
i probably won't be playing up there too much, but when i do i'd like it to be real easy & nice feeling
Quote by _-Joey-_
i probably won't be playing up there too much, but when i do i'd like it to be real easy & nice feeling

Ibanez has great upper fret access.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by _-Joey-_

+1 to Humanity. I have it sitting on my lap, so I tried it :P No problems at all
Quote by the humanity
Ibanez has great upper fret access.

in that case, i'll probably go with the Ibanez SR505, i'll go to my local music shop, see if they have one in (they probably won't, they're not that great) to try it out, but if they don't would you guys say it'll be alright if i didn't play it before i buy?

the only guitar/bass i've actually tried before buying was my first bass, & since then i've had another bass (Washburn BB6) & three guitars (Yamaha ERG121 starter pack, Agile Reaper, Agile Interceptor Pro) & i've been more than satisfied with them all (although the Yamaha is crap )
So... would it be okay to order this online before trying it out?
or do you reccomend i should play it to make sure i'll be happy with it??
well, play any Ibanez with SR in title if you don't see this one.

that would be SR, SRX, or GSR. the body will have a similar shape. that will help with the feel, if you're cool with that you'll be good, and youtube can help a bit with the sound, I have little doubt you'll be satisfied, it doesn't hum, gets a nice smooth tone, and can get a solid trebly punch if you mess with it.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Jateca
Well, if you hadn't said no bolt-on then I would say without a shadow of a doubt a G&L Tribute L-2500. Got mine 2nd hand off ebay for about £400.

Fantastic tone, very versatile, controls include active/passive switch, series/parallel switch and two band EQ. Same electronics as the full American-built instruments, fantastic build quality. Utter bargain.

Never had any trouble with upper fret access, so if you could reconsider a bolt-on then I seriously recommend it.
I have the G&L L2500 I also had the L 2500 Tribute when they first appeared. The pots were poor quality and had to be replaced by the UK importers.
I fitted a J-Retro Jazz Bass active kit to the tribute as the actives on the G&Ls are quite limited due to cut and no boost along with no middle cut or boost.
I will soon fit a J-Retro kit on my US L-2500; then it will be all I want with my MM Stingray 5 demoted to spare.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by _-Joey-_
that does look quite nice!
guys... Ibanez or Spector?!

Sadly, by the time you get the money the Spector will have been snapped up. I didnt read your first post properly, sorry! . It usually retails for around £750-800. Keep your eye on Reverb, they're going into administration at the moment, so some good deals pop up every week. Or convince people to give you the money now lol.
Quote by Micehorns
Sadly, by the time you get the money the Spector will have been snapped up. I didnt read your first post properly, sorry! . It usually retails for around £750-800. Keep your eye on Reverb, they're going into administration at the moment, so some good deals pop up every week. Or convince people to give you the money now lol.

ohh well!
Spector would be really nice & i may get one eventually but will be quite some time before i do!
& so i guess i'll most likely be going for the Ibanez SR505, unless i could find something else i prefer before november-ish time!
Is there a European craigslist? I know you don't want to go used, but they have fantastic deals. I almost got a 500w (possible 700, can't remember) Gk full stack for $800CAD. I just didn't have enough money ): New stuff pops up too, from people who find that they don't like the bass. It's usually 5- and 6- string basses, and fretless basses
Quote by Canadian_basser
Is there a European craigslist? I know you don't want to go used, but they have fantastic deals. I almost got a 500w (possible 700, can't remember) Gk full stack for $800CAD. I just didn't have enough money ): New stuff pops up too, from people who find that they don't like the bass. It's usually 5- and 6- string basses, and fretless basses

This guy speaks the truth. I just had a quick look for the £500 price range and for £100 more you could have this beauty!

http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25026

Or..

http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44241

http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44020

You get the idea. I've bought about £150s worth of parts from that forum and not one problem, plus if a problem ever occurs the guys on that site always work it out.
Quote by biga29
Uhhh.. Why must all basses include that huge didlo thing on top....

it makes it balance like a gymnast, and it looks pretty sweet.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

yup. it's all about balance. and i agree. it looks awesome...but then again i'm the one that posted it. and btw, it's called a horn.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
yup. it's all about balance. and i agree. it looks awesome...but then again i'm the one that posted it. and btw, it's called a horn.

Did not know it was about balance... well i learned something new. I still think it looks disgusting... I like smaller ones.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Oh my gosh, how often must I suggest it, but GO PEAVEY! I firmly believe that Peavey has the best deal-for-money ratio of any manufacturer out there right now. With that much, you could possibly get a Cirrus BXP which is second to the American Cirrus, the top of their line
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Mar 24, 2009,