Ok, ive been reading through the stickies and such im still a little confused.
If im right just tell me so. Heres what we have: vocals, guitar, keyboard, and a computer generated drum.

1. For the drum generator program, we make the beat and record that. simple, Correct?

2. for the vocals/guitar, do we get something like those line 6 pod things and mic the amp too? (i prefer the sound of having it mic'd) if theres a better way, tell me. Im finally going all tube in a month or so, so quality of the amp is not an issue.

3. How would a keyboard work? do i plug it into the guitar input of the line 6 thing? or do i plug it into an amp and mic it?

just look over 1-3 and tell me if thats good enough for decent recordings, buying the programs to put it all together wont be a problem. budget for equipment is $300-$500.

thanks guys, sorry for my complete noob-ness, flame shield is on!
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
1. Your drum generator program should be hosted inside your DAW as a VSTi, or if not, be able to export the file as a .wav Either bounce the drum beat, be it a MIDI scoring or pre-programmed to an audio track. If it isnt contained in the DAW, export the .wav and import that to an audio track.

2. For guitars, use whatever sort of interface you want, it'll need XLR inputs and onboard preamps if you intend to do any micing. PODs will work, you may find you have better luck with modelling from the Line 6 than you do with micing if you are working on a low budget, low experience type setup. If you are micing, get a good dynamic mic (Sm57, e906/609, Audix i5/6), read up on close-micing guitar cabs and give it a whirl. You can get by for vocals with a dynamic if you're more rock/heavy oriented, but if you're doing soft, acoustic etc, detailed music you might want to invest in an affordable large diaphragm condenser. I'd be happy to make some recommendations if you're interested!

3. For keyboards, you will more than likely be working with stereo patching in some way, be it through the samples, keymapping, or effects. You will want an interface with dual 1/4" TS inputs if running stereo analog. Some keyboards output on S/PDIF so check if your interface has that. If stereo or digital arent available, you can always sacrifice whatever stereo imaging is available in your keyboard and run a mono out (generally the L main out on keyboards is summed mono) into a single 1/4" input on your interface.

Record everything to its respective tracks in your DAW.
Quote by conor1148
Ok, ive been reading through the stickies and such im still a little confused.
If im right just tell me so. Heres what we have: vocals, guitar, keyboard, and a computer generated drum.

1. For the drum generator program, we make the beat and record that. simple, Correct?

2. for the vocals/guitar, do we get something like those line 6 pod things and mic the amp too? (i prefer the sound of having it mic'd) if theres a better way, tell me. Im finally going all tube in a month or so, so quality of the amp is not an issue.

3. How would a keyboard work? do i plug it into the guitar input of the line 6 thing? or do i plug it into an amp and mic it?

just look over 1-3 and tell me if thats good enough for decent recordings, buying the programs to put it all together wont be a problem. budget for equipment is $300-$500.

thanks guys, sorry for my complete noob-ness, flame shield is on!

1. Not sure what you mean.... Do you know what MIDI is and do you have a DAW?

2. Interface and either use a mic on the cab or plug your guitar directly into the interface and use an amp simulator plugin.

3. My keyboard is USB but I dont use it, some use midi cables.

This is can be a complicated but im sure we can help you out.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Last edited by occub at Mar 22, 2009,
ok, now im a little more confused. what is MIDI and DAW? i feel i may be in over my head.

this will just be for some rock/progressive, and occasionally for recording audio for youtube videos, and even more rarely for some electronic-like music.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

If you don't know what MIDI and DAW's are, you might be getting in there just a little

A DAW is a program you run on your host computer that allows you to record, mix, sync, edit, and deal with audio files in general. It is where you will record you sounds to, as well as mix them down to a final, single audio file.

MIDI (musical instrument data interface) is a system that allows pieces of equipment to interact through control numbers and values. There are 128 available controllers, and each has a 'value' of 0-127. These controllers can be simple things, for instance in programming a drum beat, there are 128 MIDI notes, each corresponding to a different sound. Each note then has a velocity, a level of 0-127 that determines what velocity data is sent to the sound generator to play back the appropriate sample. It has vastly more uses, and this is a very simple breakdown, but I dont think you'll be using it very heavily so its not too relevant.
Last edited by MrPillow at Mar 22, 2009,
ohhh, that makes sense.

i thought MIDI was a kind of cable though?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

DOH!
my bad.

so i will need the DAW thing, the receiver thing for the microphones and guitar, the drum program, and thats it for really basic recordings?

i feel like im missing something..
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

i was afraid i was going to have to sell a kidney, thank god.

i have to go now, im sure while im at school tomorrow ill think of more questions, so ill just bump this back up and ask them when i remember the rest of them.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

sorry to double post, i really didnt feel the need to start a whole entire new thread and waste space.

For the recording, are there microphones that could work as a mic for recording the amp and still do vocals? or do i need to get a special one for each.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

You can record vocals and your amp with the same mic. A good way to get started and have all the connectivity your need for your guitar, keyboard, and mic is to buy a cheap mixer. I have a Behringer 1002FX and it works quite well. If you budget is tight these Nady mics actually do a pretty good job. Much better than you would think from the price...

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-SP5-Mic-SpecialBuy-1-Get-2-Free?sku=277174
ill definitely look into those mics.

i really dont quite understand mixers, home many channels would i need?
this is for keyboard, guitar (possibly more than one), vocals (also possibly more than one), and the computer drums. so do i need like 7 or 8?

sorry for noobness yet again.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Well how many inputs are you wanting to record simultaneously ?
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
Well how many inputs are you wanting to record simultaneously ?

sorry to bump this up, stupid school.

anyways, probably the most ever would be 6, should i get something with more just to be safe?

also, what is a good brand/model to look into for this? id like to keep it under $200 if at all possible..
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.