Mainly about the Spider III, my friend has one, and I got the chance to play it today. It was a pretty good sounding amp, in my opinion. Although, I do play death metal, not sure how the clean channel sounds. I got a pretty good sound from some of the preset distortions. Almost everyone hates them around here though, and I'd like to know why, because I'm considering buying the half stack for small venues. Is this tone-suicide on my part?
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Mainly about the Spider III, my friend has one, and I got the chance to play it today. It was a pretty good sounding amp, in my opinion. Although, I do play death metal, not sure how the clean channel sounds. I got a pretty good sound from some of the preset distortions. Almost everyone hates them around here though, and I'd like to know why, because I'm considering buying the half stack for small venues. Is this tone-suicide on my part?

a spider halfstack is a waste of money just so you can say you own a halfstack. plus for metal it will sound horrible in a live situation

edit: dont get me wrong, they're actualy quite fun to play when you're jamming alone at home
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by schecter ftw
Cause people like to get on band wagons.

Or ya know, because people have preferences and just don't like it
Why is this in the Electric Guitar forum?
███████████████████████████████████
ive played a tele through a spider once at GC and i wouldn't say i hated it. but i guess if hating line 6 floats your boat... so be it...
iuno why ppl HATE it. but when i went to try one out it sounded very digital (it is a digital amp tho) but most people are looking for a pure tone, not one that sounds like it came from a casio keyboard type of deal. i think it would be a fun amp to own just cause of the digitally sounds it does have, but there are much better out there.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Spider Valves are best for bedroom jamming, they make hybrid amps that are amazing for gigging though, like their HD serise
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
spiders sound like **** at high volumes...

i know for a fact if i see a spider at a show im leaving, i don't wanna hear a bunch of rubbish noise.
Line 6 isn't that bad. The Spider 3 is used a lot and was actually recommended to me by a professional when I was first shopping for an amp. However, I pooled my money and got a Bluesbreaker =D

Other Line 6 stuff, like the Flextone, Vetta II, POD, etc. is actually really good.

Line 6 hate is 85% bandwagon. Just because someone tries something, doesn't mean they're clear of this bandwagoning. If you believe that something sounds bad, and you play it with this bias, then you're going to only hear the bad.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
I used to have one too... their great for beginner amps or a little practice amp but after a month having it you realized the tone is just bland.

Not to dis on all solid-states, but you just cant compare a tube amp with solid-state (as far as distortion goes). Just my opinion.
I own one and for a while it sounded pretty good. Then after a month or two of owning it, I could start to hear how bad it was (dont ask me how, but I couldn't get it to sound how I wanted) as soon as I started trying some other stuff (marshall avt, peavey valveking) I could tell I wanted to get something else, nowish. I tried to crank it (to keep up with my bassist friend) and my friend had to turn down because I couldn't hear it, and it just sounded really muddy. Not unbearably, but enough that it made me start looking for its replacement. It sounds slightly better than my friends SP-10 (squier), but only because his sounds really shrill and has the cruddiest sounding overdrive I think I've ever heard. But I guess they're not terrible for the casual player.

ps: yes that was meant to be really god-awful confusing
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Quote by severed-metal
Or ya know, because people have preferences and just don't like it

That was meant towards the people that haven't even played a Spider before and think that there horrible. The 15 watt ones are OK at best for jamming at home but nothing more than that really. All the rest over 15 watts are a waste.
Quote by schecter ftw
That was meant towards the people that haven't even played a Spider before and think that there horrible. The 15 watt ones are OK at best for jamming at home but nothing more than that really. All the rest over 15 watts are a waste.

That's fair enough. I haven't looked much into amps, but the spider series seem to be most popular with metalcore players, especially at my school
Quote by severed-metal
That's fair enough. I haven't looked much into amps, but the spider series seem to be most popular with metalcore players, especially at my school

assuming those are gigging musicians, that sucks
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
when i first started playing guitar my friend had a line 6 spider III. i thought it was the greatest thing ever. over time though as i learned more about guitar, payed more attention to tone, and especially when i heard and then later even more when i purchased my first tube amp. i realized that the spider III is an alright amp. its not the worse. my behringer v-ampire was the worst. but its not a really great amp either. its ok for a small practice amp. but when it comes to gigging and stuff, no. you can do a lot better in the price range for a gigging sized spider III.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
i thought my spider was kinda cool until i bought a crate v50 (50w all tube power) for $250 and i paid $375 for my 75w spider...

i dont think i have played it for more than 20 mins since i got the crate.
Quote by burrit0
Say your friend was high and doesn't know what he's talking about.
I played a tube amp at a gig with a friend. He has one of the 150W Spider's. He managed to get a good tone he set to a preset he said he got with "A few days heavy EQing". I couldn't get a good one out of it at all. You can get a good tone out of it, but generally their tones are awful unless you spend a ludicrous amount of time tweaking it, which generally isn't good as they're targeted at beginners, who can't and don't want to spend time tweaking to get the perfect tone. Plus there is better in the price range. If they were a bit cheaper it wouldn't be as big a deal and if it didn't go beyond 30W, it wouldn't be annoying, but because of how it is, they're hated.

Also, the cleans are more sterile than a man who just got nuked.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
Also, the cleans are more sterile than a man who just got nuked.

hahahaha...... The preset distortions sound so baddddd
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
You play metal the one thing the spider does a decent job of. So you didnt notice its every other tone that it does a poor job of. For some it may be a bandwagon thing. I have played on em before and after owning various tube amps spiders are jsut meh. They sound like my little peavey rage, a cheap practice amp. Alot of the hate is the really bad reliability of the spider series.