Im looking into some of the fender 52 reissue telecasters, and I see a lot of people saying the 7.25" Radius makes lead playing somewhat difficult. Is it a drastic difference, or only subtle? Unfortunatly, no local shops have the guitar in stock for me to try for myself.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
A rounder radius gives more dead notes than a flatter one
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
A rounder radius (7.25) will make bending tougher though its not impossible. Back in the 50's guitar was mostly chords so a rounder radius was more comfortable to play. A 9.5 radius is a flatter fingerboard so it will be easier to solo on. Keep in mind nowadays the standard radius is around 10-12, Jackson necks are 16 radius I believe and some like Ibanez are very flat don't know the exact numbers. I have a 10 radius fingerboard and love it.

Edit:

In the end though its what you prefer. David Gilmour for example uses a 50's style Strat neck and his bends are huge and everyone knows he can solo like a mofo so its what you like. I'd try before you buy for sure.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by DSOTM80
A rounder radius (7.25) will make bending tougher though its not impossible. Back in the 50's guitar was mostly chords so a rounder radius was more comfortable to play. A 9.5 radius is a flatter fingerboard so it will be easier to solo on. Keep in mind nowadays the standard radius is around 10-12, Jackson necks are 16 radius I believe and some like Ibanez are very flat don't know the exact numbers. I have a 10 radius fingerboard and love it.

Edit:

In the end though its what you prefer. David Gilmour for example uses a 50's style Strat neck and his bends are huge and everyone knows he can solo like a mofo so its what you like. I'd try before you buy for sure.

The Jackson necks have a compound radius don't they? 10-16 or something like that I believe.

Also,while I have the attention of someone who knows a lot about FR facts I'll ask something that's been bugging me lately.The "Original FR" on guitars like the Schecter hellraiser is a korean made FR that's marketed as an original isn't it? It's been bugging me lately ever since I heard that they aren't actual original FR models.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

The compound fretboards are rounder towards the nut for chords, then they flatten out as you get to the higher frets, the best of both worlds.

As for the FR, if you decide to buy check it out first!!
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
I know wha the radius means and everything, Im just curious to know if its a huge difference that will actualy limit your playing, or if its just a hinderance. I wont be using it for much solos or anything, it'd just be a dealbreaker I guess.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Pr0gNut
The Jackson necks have a compound radius don't they? 10-16 or something like that I believe.

Also,while I have the attention of someone who knows a lot about FR facts I'll ask something that's been bugging me lately.The "Original FR" on guitars like the Schecter hellraiser is a korean made FR that's marketed as an original isn't it? It's been bugging me lately ever since I heard that they aren't actual original FR models.

I would believe so thats its the Asian variety for the price they are going for, check a close up of a Schecter and check out the saddles. German OFR have straight edges, the Asian one does not. Here's a picture I put together.....

...as for the Jackson neck yea my bad they do have compound radius, best of both worlds I guess.
Quote by DSOTM80
I would believe so thats its the Asian variety for the price they are going for, check a close up of a Schecter and check out the saddles. German OFR have straight edges, the Asian one does not. Here's a picture I put together.....

...as for the Jackson neck yea my bad they do have compound radius, best of both worlds I guess.

Ahhhh I had my suspicions,thanks for clearing that up.I mentioned that the hellraiser FR isn't an actual German made FR earlier in a thread and a bunch of Schecter fanboys jumped down my throat hahah .

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by dcdossett65
I know wha the radius means and everything, Im just curious to know if its a huge difference that will actualy limit your playing, or if its just a hinderance. I wont be using it for much solos or anything, it'd just be a dealbreaker I guess.

I've played a compound radius neck, to me the changeover wasn't completely obvious or noticeable, its like 12-16 or something, 12 is already pretty flat
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
Tell them to check their saddles and they'll know for sure. Also the Asian variety of course doesn't have a Made in Germany stamp on it, so they can keep looking but won't find it as all German OFR's have 'em.
Quote by PREQUEL2SEQUEL
I've played a compound radius neck, to me the changeover wasn't completely obvious or noticeable, its like 12-16 or something, 12 is already pretty flat

I mean the 7.25 as oppose to 9.5. I have an american strat with 9.5, and I have no problem playing rhythm or solos, so Im just afraid it will be too much a change. I dont even like super flat necks, though my LP is 12 and thats about my limit. Playing ESP's and Ibanez's just doesnt feel right to me because of how flat the necks are.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Pr0gNut
Ahhhh I had my suspicions,thanks for clearing that up.I mentioned that the hellraiser FR isn't an actual German made FR earlier in a thread and a bunch of Schecter fanboys jumped down my throat hahah .

gotta love those schecter fanboys.

agreed, though, they're likely the non-schaller made ones. glad to see it pissed you off, at least that means i'm not the only person in the whole world who gets annoyed when people are trying to hoodwink me so they can rip me off.

back on topic- fretboard radius is really one of those things you have to try, to be honest. it's not going to be easy to make your mind up if you can't try first, unfortunately. good luck.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try it at least, but make sure you like it before buying. I have a Strat with the 7.25" radius and at the beginning it was a little bit difficult to bend on it, but now I've got used to it and I never hit a dead note.

Oh, and good choice on the '52 Tele, it's the nicest one IMO
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby