Page 1 of 2
I'm going to invest in a nice tube head like a 5150 or something, I've got a cab, (crappy crate cab) and I'd like to be able to record a really nice tone without blasting my neighbors away... so how would this work? Can you turn up the volume of the amp to get that nice tube tone without killing people or frying anything?
steps:

1. Use the line out of the 5150 preamp to go into recording interface.
2. Record using your DAW of choice
3. Route the recorded sample into cabinet simulator (voxengo boogex is free)
4. ???
5. Profit

you can not run the 5150 without a load (cabinet or attenuator of sorts) so you'd still have to crank the volume somewhat of the 5150.

the amp on 3 is enough to annoy my neighbors..

luckily you only need it on volume 1 or 2 if you have an interface with preamp gain controls on it.
Last edited by Voltaire1 at Mar 22, 2009,
yeah you can. It's called direct recording. It's a little tricky to get setup if the amp doesnt have it, but once you get it set up, its good to go.

You will need a load of some sort though, so the chain would go guitar----amp----load----interface----computer----impulse files
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
fwiw, it's how i record both my 5150 and dual rectifier when i don't feel like micing.
my amp has a line out?
███████████████████████████████████
So if I make (or buy) a dummy speaker load, then I can crank the amp up pretty high right? And how come you plug into the audio interface from the preamp line out and not the cab jack? Unless they're the same and I'm being retarded?
Quote by Ignite

1. So if I make (or buy) a dummy speaker load, then I can crank the amp up pretty high right?
2.And how come you plug into the audio interface from the preamp line out and not the cab jack?
3.Unless they're the same and I'm being retarded?

answered in number order

1. Yes
2. The 4/8/16 ohm output (or cab jack) is meant to supply power to a cabinet or load, if you were to have that going to an interface, you would destroy both your interface and the transformer on your amp.
3. they're different

picture of the back of a 5150 head

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2420/picture007iz1.jpg

see on the right next to the effects loop is a preamp out and further right are the speaker outputs.
NICE i didnt see that it had a preamp out...sorry man
IF you haven't sorted the software side of things yet, any convolution reverb plugin will do the job, but KeFIR is ideal for guitar cab modelling. Google it and go get a copy. Go!

For responses, I've got an enormous pack called 'Axewizard guitar cab IR collection v1'. Can't remember where I downloaded from, but shouldn't be hard to find and it's got hundreds of impulses, almost every amp/speaker I can think of. I have a feeling the IRs are in a funny format, but you can batch rename the files to .wav and it'll work with any convo 'verb. Good luck
You could use a load box with a line out so the signal will have to run through the amps power section, adding it's part to the overall tone.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
You could use a load box with a line out so the signal will have to run through the amps power section, adding it's part to the overall tone.

you and i think alike!
^I'm thinking about trying it with my BJr since my lap top has a decent sound card.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
you and i think alike!

high gain amplifiers don't get their tone from the power section though.
it is important when playing loud, not so much in recordings.

fwiw.
^Agreed, merely a suggestion on my part. TS mentioned cranking the amp so I thought he may be after a little power tube distortion.
Glad someone who knows about impulse files is part of UG. I've been confused about them for a while. Thanks for clearing it up!

From what I've read impulse files are becoming very very popular, even amongst professional studios and producers, direct recording or running a mic line in.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I just got some SICK impulses yesterday from an undisclosed source i know fairly well.....he is a professional as well, and is suggesting his clients use them for recording as well when they dont have the space or availability to crank a cabinet. They are sick...
impulses have been on the recording scene for a while now, to be honest.
peavey was also interested in the method of cabinet simulating which can be seen in their acquisition of alien connections revalver software.

if you're interested in impulses for high gain projects do a google search for "guitar hacks impulse responses" but for clean tones whatever comes stock is usually fine.

I record professionally in a studio, it's the easiest way to get consistent results.
I've been looking for a few to really help my vetta out.

I appreciate all of the info!

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I've been looking for a few to really help my vetta out.

I appreciate all of the info!

just tell me what you need, pal.
How do you do direct input if you have no line out. Im assuming its:

Speaker cable -> Dummy load -> Interface -> Computer?

I have a Presonus Firestudio, could i go from dummy load to the presonus, to computer?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
How do you do direct input if you have no line out. Im assuming its:

Speaker cable -> Dummy load -> Interface -> Computer?

I have a Presonus Firestudio, could i go from dummy load to the presonus, to computer?

orange rockerverb? i do believe you could go from the effects loop send to your presonus.

usually line outs are just that, line outs..line level output, while effects loops are usually -10db to accommodate for effects that are susceptible to distorting.
I've googled a few different names, can't find any solid downloads.

I'm currently running Vetta II > Toneport (gearbox) > Cubase, Magix, or Audacity depending on what I'm doing and how quick i want it done.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Voltaire1
orange rockerverb? i do believe you could go from the effects loop send to your presonus.

usually line outs are just that, line outs..line level output, while effects loops are usually -10db to accommodate for effects that are susceptible to distorting.

The presonus has insturment inputs, and line inputs, which would I go into?

And also wouldnt the sound still be playing out of my cab in that case?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
The presonus has insturment inputs, and line inputs, which would I go into?

And also wouldnt the sound still be playing out of my cab in that case?

either or, and you would NEED to have a cabinet hooked up or else as stated earlier, you would fry your transformer.
Quote by Voltaire1
either or, and you would NEED to have a cabinet hooked up or else as stated earlier, you would fry your transformer.

Exactly, which defys the point of doing it in the first place. I onlt would want to direct input record for noise reasons, because ill be moving into an apartment soon.

Dont most people just run their speaker output into a dummy load, then just reamp it or something?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
With the Voxengo am I looking for the Impulse Modeler reverb thingy?

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by dcdossett65
Exactly, which defys the point of doing it in the first place. I onlt would want to direct input record for noise reasons, because ill be moving into an apartment soon.

Dont most people just run their speaker output into a dummy load, then just reamp it or something?

The reason people do it.. is because it sounds a lot better than anything they would normally be able to get using only microphones.

Does your amp have a standby switch and a power switch? try this:

turn your amp on standby.. have a cable going from the effects loop out into your interface... tell me what happens.
Quote by Voltaire1
The reason people do it.. is because it sounds a lot better than anything they would normally be able to get using only microphones.

Does your amp have a standby switch and a power switch? try this:

turn your amp on standby.. have a cable going from the effects loop out into your interface... tell me what happens.

Uhh, ok? Im pretty sure that would wreak havoc.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Uhh, ok? Im pretty sure that would wreak havoc.

nope, actually that's how you do silent recording with a tube amp that has a stand-by switch.
My bad man, I was overlooking the VST download in the box.

You're the man!

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Voltaire1
nope, actually that's how you do silent recording with a tube amp that has a stand-by switch.

Interesting. I thought i detected some sarcasm there. How does that work though? Is it just because on standby there is no power being fed to the power section?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Interesting. I thought i detected some sarcasm there. How does that work though? Is it just because on standby there is no power being fed to the power section?

sorry, sarcasm over the internet is hard to detect. standby engages only the preamp.
Quote by MESAexplorer
My bad man, I was overlooking the VST download in the box.

You're the man!

s`all good.
Quote by Voltaire1
sorry, sarcasm over the internet is hard to detect. standby engages only the preamp.

no worries. Then from there do I need to download a cab emulator as previously mentioned in this thread? Im just confused on would load that into pro tools/cubase/audacity.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
no worries. Then from there do I need to download a cab emulator as previously mentioned in this thread? Im just confused on would load that into pro tools/cubase/audacity.

yes, download the voxengo boogex http://www.voxengo.com/product/boogex/
and install it, load it up as a VST into a mixer track and route your audio into the mixer track with the voxengo boogex on it.

make sure that the amplifier section knobs on boogex are on zero or else you will get an undesirable tone.
Last edited by Voltaire1 at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by Voltaire1
yes, download the voxengo boogex http://www.voxengo.com/product/boogex/
and install it, load it up as a VST into a mixer track and route your audio track into the mixer track with the voxengo boogex on it.

make sure that the amplifier section knobs on boogex are on zero or else you will get an undesirable tone.

Sounds easy enough, thanks.

Im assuming the tone wont be the same as the actual head though, or is it fairly similar? It just seems like it's too easy!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Page 1 of 2