The amp is a peavey vb-2 bass tube amp. I was at band practice and without warning it stopped making sound. no loss of volume or distortion. nothing. just sudden silence. We took it out of the case and looked at all the tubes. We didnt' see the driver tube lighting up so we tried replacing it with one of the backup tubes my guitarist keeps around. It lit up but still no sound. We also tried replacing the preamp tubes even though they seemed to be lit just fine. still nothing. The power light comes on but we still tried replacing the fuse. Didn't help. we tried a different guitar, different cable. different speaker cable, the second speaker jack on my amp, and a different cabinet. nothing worked. We didn't have any power tubes to try out but they all seemed to be lit perfectly fine.

So what do you think is wrong my amp? Preamp and driver tubes all fine. fuse fine. Power tubes appear to be fine but didn't have replacements.

Will be taking it in Tuesday if I don't get any simple fixes from you guys but i'm still curious what you guys think it is, even if it isn't something i can do myself.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Mar 22, 2009,
Check the HT fuse. It's buried in the chassis. I don't know where, cause I've never seen one of those amps.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
what does ht stand for?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
what does ht stand for?

It's the power tube fuse. It's high voltage to handle the current right before the toobs. it blows before t3h t00bs do.

Don't judge me.
wouldn't the tubes not light if that fuse went out? just asking before i go through all the trouble of removing the 12 screws and 2 bolts to tear it apart. and i don't have fuses at my house so i'd have to take a trip to the practice area 20 miles away or wait til morning and hope that the local store has the correct fuses.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
The tubes wouldn't light up if the HT blew. I'd try replacing the power tubes, and if that doesn't fix it have a tech look at it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Since cash is tight are there any good ways of telling if a power tube might be bad other than replacing them? I know there won't be a foolproof way. just hoping there's a decent way. I once heard something about hitting the tube lightly with the eraser of a pencil on here. does that work? and what should i be listening/looking for if it does work? does the amp have to be on to do the test?

I just don't want to spend the money on power tubes right now if that isn't the problem. getting the amp fixed is gonna be bad enough on my wallet.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by Kevin Saale
The tubes wouldn't light up if the HT blew. I'd try replacing the power tubes, and if that doesn't fix it have a tech look at it.

didn't read that

i's a dumbdum.

the pencil trick is for microphonic preamp tubes. if your power tubes are bad, there's either no glow or no sound or limited sound or bad sound.

and a cheap replacement for power tubes is a solid state power amp.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Mar 22, 2009,
I honestly don't think it would be the tubes just from the way it went out, but that would be the cheapest thing to replace. Plus even if the tubes are fine, you can still use those as backups.

Other than that I honestly wouldn't know what's wrong.
I'm running through a solid state power amp right now and just using the preamp on my bass but it's quiet even with a 400 watt power amp as there's no real preamp to bring the signal up to line level. I love my tube amp too much to go back to solid state. I love being able to tweak my gain to where i crank the preamp on my bass(mids and treble) and get a geddy lee(ish) distortion for when my band covers tom sawyer.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Does it have an FX loop? You could try running the preamp through that power amp.
i'm gonna have to have the amp taken in to be fixed probably so i'm using the power amp to get something for now. thinking of getting a Dl box to feed the power amp a good useable signal until it gets fixed if we have gigs. hopefully my guitarist has an old Dl box layin around somewhere. over the last 25 years he's aquired all kinds of stuff so i wouldn't be surprised.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Revelation,

I'm having the same problem right now. Did you find out what was wrong with your amp?

-s