Page 1 of 2
Seeing as how I really don't have any other method. I'll just list all the songs I can play perfectly so far. Get ready for a lot of Trivium

Trivium
Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr
Like Light to the Flies
Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis (all but second solo)
Down From The Sky
A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation (working on Corey's part of the solo, just haven't had the time to finish it up)

Pantera
Cowboys from Hell

Death
Spirit Crusher (working on solo as we speak lol)

Avenged Sevenfold (please don't kill me, they were my gateway band into the rock genre...even if they are complete and utter ****)
Beast and the Harlot
Bat Country
Unholy Confessions
Seize the Day

Tenacious D
The Metal

Annihilator
King of the Kill

There are a bunch of other songs I'm trying to learn but are nowhere near complete so I won't list those because that would just take up necessary space.

These are the songs of notability that I usually play (minus the a7x...ick) to put the skills I have on display. I've been playing since April of last year. The 5th of next month will make my first year of playing. So about 11 months.

I know it's not the best way to judge my level of skill but I'm just curious as to where I stand. A few people at my 5 month mark of playing were surprised to hear I had been playing for such a short time, which in a way drove me further to practice longer because I thought I was ahead of the game and wanted to stay there.

P.S. I also know a bit of theory from lessons I took for the last 3 months (i wanna say 3 months...around there). Stopped the lessons recently. Also UG has provided me with priceless lessons that have helped out. So I'm very minorly educated in theory but I do know some. I know a few scales (minor, major, phrygian, dorian, aeolian) and last thing we worked on when I took lessons was the...b lokrian mode? (don't ask I wasn't to clear on it either)

Like I said, I just want to know where I stand since the first year mark is coming up soon.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Last edited by TheBodomBullet at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by the agony scene
playing guitar isn't a race.
how do you think your doing?

If you want my honest opinion I think I'm doing quite well.

The reason I'm asking this is really to track my progress because I have this stupid goal that you can probably tell just by thinking about why I DO want to track my progress.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by adambauman31
level 6

So I herd you like swampertz? lol
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
it actually depends a lot on how well you play the songs.
Do you have good vibrato and technique is the real question.
i'd say get goin on some good ol shred, challenge yourself. if its too far out of your reach, i say learn blues. nobody shouldn't learn blues. nobody.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Yeah level six. You'll need more mana if you want to level up faster.
||||||||
||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||
||||||||||||||||
||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
its not what you know, itsa how well you can incorporate it into your own music. like: you can play the cowboys from hell solo, but can you make a new one for it that would sound just as insane?
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Quote by Drone713
it actually depends a lot on how well you play the songs.
Do you have good vibrato and technique is the real question.

Don't even get my started on technique. My ONE mantra to have if I'd have any is that technique comes first. I practiced long hard hours to make sure I can play that stuff just like the real thing you know? Sloppy practice and technique are my pet peeves. When I practice I don't mess around. I play it till I play it lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by rhoadsfan92
its not what you know, itsa how well you can incorporate it into your own music. like: you can play the cowboys from hell solo, but can you make a new one for it that would sound just as insane?

I've come up with a several original compositions and as soon as we get a band together (which is in the works for me) we'll hopefully a) come up with some new stuff b) record some of the stuff I came up with or work with it. But that's int he future
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by adambauman31
level 6

Haha!

You can "play" those songs, but they probably sound like crap when you. It's no way to measure talent. Unless you are a prodigy, it will take a few years before you can really play those songs well.

Be patient, itll come in time.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by handlerb
Haha!

You can "play" those songs, but they probably sound like crap when you. It's no way to measure talent. Unless you are a prodigy, it will take a few years before you can really play those songs well.

Be patient, itll come in time.

No they don't. Like I said. I've made sure through practice and tribulation that I can play those perfectly. Trust me on this.

Also i didn't list anything that I can only half ass. Only the ones I've completely got down (or got down most of ala I'm still working on the solo)
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Last edited by TheBodomBullet at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by TheBodomBullet
No they don't. Like I said. I've made sure through practice and tribulation that I can play those perfectly. Trust me on this.

Also i didn't list anything that I can only half ass. Only the ones I've completely got down (or got down most of ala I'm still working on the solo)

Well you are just amazing then. Perhaps a metaphorical BJ is in order?
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by handlerb
Well you are just amazing then. Perhaps a metaphorical BJ is in order?

Lol no thanx brah I already had apple pie today.

Thanks guys. Just wanted to get some reception.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by noscottno711
Yeah level six. You'll need more mana if you want to level up faster.

For having been playing for nearly a year i'd say your pretty good, given you can play what you said you could well. Try working on all the modes rather than just the few that you mentioned, should help alot.
To prove your ability its best that you make a video of some of the things you can do. Based upon the songs you know baring in mind you can play them properly then your good.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Quote by Horlicks
Make a video. I doubt you can play any of those 'perfectly'.

This is what I was going to say. Quite frankly, anyone who's been playing for five months thinks they're good, and also are told that they are good for their time, in order to not get their hopes down. You might find this rude or just a plain insult, but it's the truth. You'll do as well, when you're really getting good and people are playing before you.
I've watched tons of guys on youtube play stuff from the absolute easiest songs to complete insanity, and I've only seen one guy who has been playing less than 2 years display ridiculous skills and make me feel bad about attempting to play guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvjeSaqmmLA&feature=channel_page

If you can play like that, then you're a beast, and need to consider making money as a session player someday.

Not to sound like a choad, but I really doubt you can play those songs that you listed with that kind of precision after only 1 year. Perhaps if you've been practicing for 6 hours a day for this entire year, you might be able to do it. After 4-5 months I thought I could play Master extremely well until I recorded myself and realized how muddy and sloppy my palm muting was. I practiced for 3 hours a day my first year and I could play One and Master of Puppets pretty well. People would always say it was unbelievable I had only been playing for a year, but I thought I sucked. There were a lot of things I couldn't play very well, and once I went back over some of the solos I had learned, I noticed that I really wasn't playing it with tight precision.

By all means, if you really can play those songs real tight, then you're one of the top .01% of "beginner" guitarists in the world. Only you can judge for yourself if your claims are for real until you upload a youtube video or upload something to UG. There's really nothing to lose if you record yourself, because it's not unreasonable to expect somebody to be able to play those solos after 5 years, not 1.
its a tad off putting when someone say they can play songs like cowboys from hell perfectly with such little experience, ive seen ppl say they can play a cover perfectly on youtube and they are always wrong, I think in most cases a certain level of skill comes with experience but I could be wrong, sometimes there are exceptions.
Get into a band.

It'll bring a new dimension to your playing. Working on tone, your timing, playing through mistakes, making up riffs when you forget what you're supposed to be playing....deciding which timing you're going to go with when your drummer and your lead singer are nowhere near each others time....... You'll learn a lot and get audience feedback. Do it.

jack
07 Ernie Ball Axis
04 Ernie Ball Axis Supersport MM90
04 Ernie Ball Sub 1
06 Godin Exit 22
69 Guild Studio 302
06 mim Telecaster
2000 Ovation S771 Balladeer
97 Stratocaster mim
2005 Stratocaster mim
99 squier strat
07 Ernie Ball Albert Lee
Quote by CrimsonHorn
I've watched tons of guys on youtube play stuff from the absolute easiest songs to complete insanity, and I've only seen one guy who has been playing less than 2 years display ridiculous skills and make me feel bad about attempting to play guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvjeSaqmmLA&feature=channel_page

That guy's got plenty of speed and he's pretty accurate, but his timing in general seems slow for the song, and he's not playing the notes in anywhere near the same way as Marty (granted, that's a tricky solo for timing). His tone is meh IMO, but I guess it's not horrible or anything. He's also not vibrato-ing... hard enough, I guess. Marty is insanely good at vibrato.

Topic creator, you really need to upload a video to YouTube so we can accurately critique you. Still, if you're able to play those songs, even if you aren't playing them as well as you believe you are, you intend to always progress in playing ability, and that's very important. I would say that regardless of what you can physically play, for the mental aspect you seem very well advanced.
Last edited by I Poke Badgers at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Seeing as how I really don't have any other method. I'll just list all the songs I can play perfectly so far. Get ready for a lot of Trivium

Avenged Sevenfold (please don't kill me, they were my gateway band into the rock genre...even if they are complete and utter ****)
Beast and the Harlot
Bat Country
Unholy Confessions
Seize the Day
n.

you say this again
i kill you
Jackson JS1 Dinky
Livingstone 15W
Behringer Super Metal Pedal

No,they're to high end for me.I usually just walk into a random building and scream "FIX MY BANJO NOW!!!!" until they hit me with sticks and call the police.
Quote by Roast Beef
does this thread have a point, apart from TS fishing for compliments?

Not fishing for complements. It's my first year of playing almost and just wanted to see where I stand compared to other 1st years. As for video, I don't have anything to record with (although as soon as I do Pull Harder is probably gonna be my first vid so keep an eye out for that). It's not my objective to brag "Oh I can play this or that" and whatnot, believe what you want because I can already spot doubters. Doesn't matter to me over an internet forum. I just wanted some feedback.

As for the band I'm currently in one....that's broken and hasn't gigged yet. (we still need a solid drummer). Won't reveal the name till everythings set in stone.

All I can say is what I've listed is what I play very accurately and most importantly feel comfortable while playing it. I'm not trying to make myself out to be "OH LOOK I GOT MAGIC POWERS BECAUSE I DID THIS AND THAT". The stuff I learned is from practice days at time (over the summer of course, school hours don't abide to that lol).
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
never apologize for liking a certain band and playing style. It is all about what you want to play bro, **** everyone else.

but yeah dude keep rocking out and most importantly have fun!
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
never apologize for liking a certain band and playing style. It is all about what you want to play bro, **** everyone else.

but yeah dude keep rocking out and most importantly have fun!

Absolutely and thanks for the advice.

No but honestly I like a7x for like maybe 3 weeks. Then I found Trivium after seeing some youtube vs. video, then that got me into other stuff stuff like Lamb of God, CoB, ect.

So yeah they were my gateway band lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
There's an old axiom about technical skill - that it takes about 10,000 hours of practice before you have it. This is as true of playing guitar as it is of playing a sport, making clothes, mastering a trade, or anything along those lines.

At 40 hours a week, 10,000 hours is reached in about 5 years. This time can be telescoped somewhat with more intensive practice, but not by a whole lot. After about 8-10 hours a day, the human mind simply can't continue learning. Breaks are also necessary to absorb things.

This does NOT necessarily mean that you WILL be skillful after 10,000 hours of practice. It only works if you're talented to begin with. AND if your practice time is well spent with a lot of time on stuff you're not good at yet.

This doesn't mean memorizing a new solo every week, though. It refers to working with different styles (from metal to folk to jazz to classical), reading note for note off charts, following progressions off cheat cheats, doing creative jamming to semi-familiar (and changing) chord progressions, using fingers and a pick, doing electric and acoustic.

If that's where you want to be, then good luck and get back to work! I suspect for a lot of us, it's enough to be able to do reasonably well in one or two styles, on similar instruments, without learning to read charts at all. Which is fine, but those people don't ask if they're any good, they ask if they're having fun yet!
Well if you can do all you say then you're damn good. I'm at the same point and nowhere near that which leads me to think you may be exaggerating but if you have a LOT of practice time (I'm an AP student so I have like none anymore...) you may be about as good as you say
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Well im sure its over 9000, but it isnt a race. Just Play as you feel. And i guess if you wanna play alot, then awesome.
Now,...... can you REALLY play all those songs? even the sweeps in some of them with perfect speed?
Vids plz!!!
If you have a computer, which you obviously do then record yourself playing. If you don't have a mic they cost $8. Simple
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
It's impossible to tell without some real recordings, I don't care what you think/say about your playing, unless there's some clips or videos of you playing, no one can really say how good you are.

Of course, I know you don't have anything to record with, I'm just saying I can't tell what your level is at because I haven't heard you play.
Quote by Tempoe
clips?

+1. I have a friend who told me he could play alot of songs (some were even in that list) and he was pretty crappy. Clips would be the best way for us to determine, but otherwise, Nice Work!
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Not fishing for complements. It's my first year of playing almost and just wanted to see where I stand compared to other 1st years. As for video, I don't have anything to record with (although as soon as I do Pull Harder is probably gonna be my first vid so keep an eye out for that). It's not my objective to brag "Oh I can play this or that" and whatnot, believe what you want because I can already spot doubters. Doesn't matter to me over an internet forum. I just wanted some feedback.

As for the band I'm currently in one....that's broken and hasn't gigged yet. (we still need a solid drummer). Won't reveal the name till everythings set in stone.

All I can say is what I've listed is what I play very accurately and most importantly feel comfortable while playing it. I'm not trying to make myself out to be "OH LOOK I GOT MAGIC POWERS BECAUSE I DID THIS AND THAT". The stuff I learned is from practice days at time (over the summer of course, school hours don't abide to that lol).

Well, until a video is posted up of you playing and holding a handwritten sign saying 'TheBodomBullet UG', everyone's gonna think that you ARE saying you're magical. And to be honest, have a lot of fun saying that, but when you actually get to recording, expect a lot of critique and remarks on that you're not actually all that good.

Just saying, you have a lot to live up to now.
Last edited by Y00p at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by qsceszxdwa
can you REALLY play all those songs? even the sweeps in some of them with perfect speed?
Vids plz!!!

i doubt, seriously doubt that after 1 year, no matter how much practice, that he has fast alternative picking, good rhythm technique, and most certainly sweep picking. I know guys that have played for years, myself included, that still struggles with sweep picking. Granted, that is really not my style but for you to accomplish all this within a year, what, do you think you could play like Jason Becker used to when he was younger?
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Mar 24, 2009,
Page 1 of 2