So, I've hit a wall. I've been playing for about 9 months and I just finished learning jump in the fire by Metallica(just to give you an idea where I'm at), I want to be able to play stuff like Vai, Malmsteen and Megadeth down the road and I straight up just don't know what I should be doing now. Any advice would be awesome even if it's as simple as : Practice. Please and thx
to me, blues was a MAJOR gateway into getting better, and being able to learn the more "virtuoso" guitar stuff. if you can get into blues soloing, and take baby steps into shred, you'll be golden
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
*cough* practice *cough*

No, also listen to those guys and try to emulate them. Also look back into who were their influences and check them out. I know one of Malmsteen's influences is a tasty mother****er.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Yeah just practice. And now I'm going to take guitarsftw advice and go learn some blues so I can actually play something worthwhile...and quite possibly one day learn to shred.
Albert King, B.B. King, SRV, Jimi Hendrix (sorta blues), Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, and Eric Clapton are ones that come to mind immediately.
Famous last words are for men who never said enough. - Anonymous
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
Learning blues is great for your phrasing but if you want to shred, I recommend doing lots of exercises and gradually building speed and accuracy in a range of techniques. Some resources I recommend are-

-the exercises thread
-the big sticky
-Speed Mechanics For Lead Guitar
-Guitar Techniques magazine
-Creative Guitar 1 and 2 by Guthrie Govan
I suggest LickLibrary's Ultimate Guitar Techniques: Speed Soloing by Andy James. (DVD) This DVD will give you all the tips and basics you need to start.

http://www.licklibrary.com/store/andy-james/22892/ultimate-guitar-speed-soloing-techniques

I have been looking at shredding/speed soloing for a week now and I have already improved. This will help you and remember get a Metronome too.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Quote by K'mPiDuWi
So, I've hit a wall. I've been playing for about 9 months and I just finished learning jump in the fire by Metallica(just to give you an idea where I'm at), I want to be able to play stuff like Vai, Malmsteen and Megadeth down the road and I straight up just don't know what I should be doing now. Any advice would be awesome even if it's as simple as : Practice. Please and thx

there's a hundred and one things you need to learn before you think about being that good. You should never worry too much about how good you want to be or "should be" because it's simply too far away.

Just focus on the here and now, assess yourself objectively, see what you know and if there's any gaps in your knowledge and be brutally honest about how good you are and ask yourself what you can do to realistically improve from where you are now. There's no point stretching too far ahead of yourself because it's counterproductive, your development should follow the path of least resistance in that you should always look for the quickest way to advance from where you are now...any improvement is a success, and tiny improvement is far more beneficial than spending weeks or months trying to do something too far ahead and ultimately not improving at all.

If you keep doing that you eventually end up where you want to be.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com