I have an assignment to do soon about the novel Heart of Darkness and I'm having a bit of trouble with it. The assignment is to show that the author of the book knows what the nature of humans are, and to prove that the author's characters are humans. We are to pick one nature and show it in three characters.

I chose that the nature of humans is to be evil and corrupt, with the characters Marlow and Kurtz being examples of it, but I'm having trouble picking a third character with this trait. This is because it's a novella and doesn't have too many major characters.

So fellow literate Pit-Dwellers, can anyone help me with proving that humans are naturally evil using the novella Heart of Darkness, or if you have another trait that you know about, care to share?
Restraint.

I'm studying this right now, I love it, I haven't gone back to watch Apocalypse Now! yet, but I plan to asap. But yeah, it's definitely restraint, you can also compare it to the way the cannibals did restrain themselves.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
I have an assignment to do soon about the novel Heart of Darkness and I'm having a bit of trouble with it. The assignment is to show that the author of the book knows what the nature of humans are, and to prove that the author's characters are humans. We are to pick one nature and show it in three characters.

I chose that the nature of humans is to be evil and corrupt, with the characters Marlow and Kurtz being examples of it, but I'm having trouble picking a third character with this trait. This is because it's a novella and doesn't have too many major characters.

So fellow literate Pit-Dwellers, can anyone help me with proving that humans are naturally evil using the novella Heart of Darkness, or if you have another trait that you know about, care to share?

The captain of the steam ship on the river, if I remember he regularly exploited the natives to suit his own needs. I can't recall his name as it's been a long time since I've read it, I could be wrong about him though.
███████████████████████████

Pagan? Check it out
Heart of Darkness is a messed up book, and Apocalypse Now is a messed up movie
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
Restraint.

I'm studying this right now, I love it, I haven't gone back to watch Apocalypse Now! yet, but I plan to asap. But yeah, it's definitely restraint, you can also compare it to the way the cannibals did restrain themselves.

The nature of humanity is to restrain ourselves from our greed/lust/evil? The whole idea of restrain as being part of human is intriguing, but I'm not sure what kind of restrain you'd see in Marlow or Kurtz..

EDIT: Anyone else have trouble reading the book or understanding it while reading it, like me?
Last edited by Kurt-Corgan at Mar 22, 2009,
Nature of Kurtz is that of a megalomaniac who has been made like that by the military training into a Colonel, and this comes out of him because of the environment of a totally ****ed up war in Vietnam like is illustrated by the film crew asking the soldiers to keep fighting so they can get footage.
Last edited by DegaMeth at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by DegaMeth
Nature of Kurtz is that of a megalomaniac who has been made like that by the military training, and this comes out of him because of the environment of a totally ****ed up war in Vietnam like is illustrated by the film crew asking the soldiers to keep fighting so they can get footage.

Haha, dude, we're talking about the book... the movie is very similiar but has the obvious differences.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
The nature of humanity is to restrain ourselves from our greed/lust/evil? The whole idea of restrain as being part of human is intriguing, but I'm not sure what kind of restrain you'd see in Marlow or Kurtz..

EDIT: Anyone else have trouble reading the book or understanding it while reading it, like me?

You have to take your time reading it, and analyze it. There is always a deeper level to it, and you have to look at things in the grand scale of things. Conrad wasn't a native English speaker, so he has this weird style of writing, which once you become accustomed to it, is pretty enjoyable in my opinion.

Pagan? Check it out
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Haha, dude, we're talking about the book... the movie is very similiar but has the obvious differences.

my bad
Quote by Kurt-Corgan

There was a quote about there being a lack of policemen when Marlow was telling the men why they couldn't possibly understand. Just how the absence of consequences and taboos affect them. Whether they act savagely to advance, or remain civil. The cannibals, who were supposed to be savages, refrained from eating the pilgrims or the dead helmsman. It specifically stated where Kurz showed a lack of restraint, but I can't quite remember it (maybe the bit at the end of his essay about the "brutes"). Then the manager lacks restraint. I dunno.

Quote by Kurt_Corgan

haha yeah it just takes a few translations.

Vietnam (cambodia really) ===> Congo
War => Ivory
Sheen => marlow

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Last edited by MTVget0FFtheAIR at Mar 22, 2009,