Hey UG,

I have a cord that lets me plug my guitar straight into my cpu. I record using audacity.
I use a GT-8, so I have my guitar into the pedal, then the pedal to my cpu. when I play the recording back, the distortion is god awful. what can i do to stop this?
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
I was going to say something mean, but i'll opt for something useful instead.

I'll update in a second, i already wrote up a good response for this earlier today.

1. Use the line out of the 5150 preamp to go into recording interface. (or in this case your multi-effects into your computer card)
2. Record using your DAW of choice
3. Route the recorded sample into a cabinet simulator (voxengo boogex VST (google it up) is free)
4. ???
5. Profit
Last edited by Voltaire1 at Mar 22, 2009,
you're clipping your sound card. turn the volume down. what input are you using on your cpu?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
you're clipping your sound card. turn the volume down. what input are you using on your cpu?

the cord goes from a normal guitar jack male end into a usb cable.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/SoundTech-USB-Intelligent-Instrument-Cable?sku=332600&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

it's pretty cool
My Gear:
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
Make sure the cabinet simulator on your GT-8 is turned on when you plug it into your pc, or else it will sound very thin and fizzy. Or else do what Voltaire said, use separate cabinet simulators, you can use Reaper as your recording program.
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
How did you plug a usb into your cpu? I've never seen a cpu with a usb port
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
Quote by ede09
How did you plug a usb into your cpu? I've never seen a cpu with a usb port

idk what your sayin. but i called my laptop a cpu
My Gear:
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
Quote by Black Label93

CPU is the wrong term to use, and he's just being a dick.

i apologize for him
Quote by Black Label93

haha I know...I'm just being a jerk.

The cpu is the Central Processing Unit. Its a little chip that makes your computer 'go'. (Among other things).
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
sounds like your clipping somewhere along the way. Don't touch the 'gain' thing on the left hand side on the track, it's just next to the panning dial. If you turn the gain up too high on that or on the general input level you'll get bad clipping
Quote by Black Label93
Hey UG,

I have a cord that lets me plug my guitar straight into my cpu. I record using audacity.
I use a GT-8, so I have my guitar into the pedal, then the pedal to my cpu. when I play the recording back, the distortion is god awful. what can i do to stop this?

This is where you ****ed up. You need a proper interface to record. There is no other solution really.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
This is where you ****ed up. You need a proper interface to record. There is no other solution really.
The worst answer.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

actually, you dont need a propper interface to record. i used to just run a 1/4" to 1/8" cable straight from my guitar to the line in on my soundcard. didnt sound great but with some fiddling around with VSTs and such, it was workable. you dont need a good interface, it just helps a lot.

ok, now theres a couple things to try to get rid of that nasty distortion. first, make sure that nothing is clipping when it hits the computer. that means you may have to turn down your signal level leaving the m-fx. you should be able to tell if things are clipping because it will chop off the top of the waveform in audacity. second thing to try, turn down the distortion level on the gt-8. ive usually found that in recording it is best to turn down the distortion or it will sound overly processed.

also ill move this to R&R
What does the audio wave look like? Does it have peaks and such, or does it resemble Metallica's latest album and just be almost a straight bar?

If it's the latter, then turn down the amp, you actually don't need to amplify it that much when recording. If it just sounds horrible, fiddle with the settings on your stuff.
jof1029 gave a good answer. Play and record a clean note at the highest loudness level you would like to have. Then zoom in the waveform to where you can easily see the wave shape. You should see something that approximates a sine wave. If the top is visibly chopped off then you are clipping and need to reduce the output level of the GT-8. Some (not all) sound cards will clip stereo at half the level of mono. So you reduce your recording headroom when recording in stereo.

You can also get a sound card with coax SPDIF input for recording digital on the GT-8. If you are serious about getting the best recordings from your GT-8, that is the way to go.
I wish people wouldn't call their entire computer a cpu.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
I wish people wouldn't call their entire computer a cpu.
I think it's pretty common. Probably best to let it slide.
Quote by fly135
I think it's pretty common. Probably best to let it slide.

i would, but its just one of those things that really does my tits in.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
i think i found a problem as well. you can chose the type of output it is going to and i had it on small amp.
My Gear:
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?