hey everyone. i believe i put this thread in the right spot, but i apologize in advance if i didnt.

anyway, i've been thinking about getting a new amp recently. i've been using a ****ty little 30 watt line 6 for a few years now, and every time i switch it on, i become more depressed by the sorry excuse for tone that the thing produces.

i'm looking to spend somewhere between $500 and $700, what would you recommend for me? i've been looking at marshalls, but i'd like some other people's input too.
Quote by wlcm2themachine
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

Quote by ChemicalFire
You sir, are a god amongst men

MY GEAR:
...apparently, i have too much. i cant list it without going over the character limit.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
What kind of music do you play?

everything from Iron Maiden to john mayer and chili peppers
Quote by wlcm2themachine

Quote by ChemicalFire

MY GEAR:
...apparently, i have too much. i cant list it without going over the character limit.
For 550, I would get the Tweed Fender Blues Jr. Its tone is phenomenal! I'm biased, because I own one, but it really is just about the best sounding 15 watt tube amp out there. For a more blues/rock oriented sound that is.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
After seeing your above post, I would highly recommend the Blues Junior.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
Quote by OneTimer1127
After seeing your above post, I would highly recommend the Blues Junior.

i actually do LOVE those amps, especially for that super clean john mayer-like tone, but do they really have enough distortion capabilities to be able to crank out some maiden stuff?
Quote by wlcm2themachine

Quote by ChemicalFire

MY GEAR:
I'd suggest a classic 30, but the Blues Junior is also good choice.
Quote by Fender52604
i actually do LOVE those amps, especially for that super clean john mayer-like tone, but do they really have enough distortion capabilities to be able to crank out some maiden stuff?

with a pedal
███████████████████████████████████
ok, i also have a VERY stupid question, and i feel like an idiot for not knowing this:

30 watts out of a tube amp is a LOT more powerful than a 30 watt solid state amp, right? because im definitely looking to upgrade to a more powerful amp as well, not just something that gets a better tone.
Quote by wlcm2themachine

Quote by ChemicalFire

MY GEAR:
Quote by Fender52604
ok, i also have a VERY stupid question, and i feel like an idiot for not knowing this:

30 watts out of a tube amp is a LOT more powerful than a 30 watt solid state amp, right? because im definitely looking to upgrade to a more powerful amp as well, not just something that gets a better tone.

It sounds more powerful, but it really isn't. Tube amps sound 1.5 to 2 times louder than ss amps.
Technically, there's no difference, but tube amps always sound louder than SS. Something to do with the frequencies they produce...Idk, I'm no physicist.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Fender52604

my amp is so retardedly loud i cannot imagine having a bigger amp.
I have a 50w Marshall 1987 head into a Marshall TV Cab. It nails the Iron Maiden tones, especially with a the OD. Stuff like Hendrix, Black Sabbath, even some Who type tones it does well. Also more modern stuff like Tool, System of a Down or Rage against the Machine it can do quite well with my LP or Strat, depending on what tone I want. I have a clone of a Ibenez Tube Screamer pedal that allows most of these options.
It's clean tone is really warm, beautiful with the strat especially. However, the cleans are not especially clear, I love the clean tone, but it is not like a Fender, more bell-like than shimmering.

About the power, 30 watts is plenty for a tube amp unless you want crystal clear cleans at volume. 50 watts is really quite loud. I am in a skate-punk type band and without the OD pedal, I cannot get the Amp into its "sweet spot" unless we mic the drummer. 30w tube should be plenty loud for anything but the loudest cleans.

The other thing to consider about a Marshall or even a 30w tube amp, it probably wont sound it's best unless it is quite loud. You can alleviate some of this with a pedal, but make sure you can play something like that pretty loud to get the most from it.

A Blues Junior would sound much better at lower volumes, and still be loud enough to play with a band.

I would recommend going used for what you want. 700 bucks on the used market gets you into some nice amps.
awesome, thanks for the info everyone. i'll definitely be checking some amps out at guitar center this week!
Quote by wlcm2themachine

Quote by ChemicalFire

MY GEAR:
Quote by Darkflame
i think the algorithm is SSwattage X 2,5 = TOOBZ wattage
it makes sense too, my 40 watts tube amp is sooo much louder than my 120 watt SS half stack

I think you know what you are talking about, but you explained it wrong

tube wattage X 2.5 = ss wattage (comparing the volume..)

so your amp...40watts x 2.5 = volume of a 100watt ss amp...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Marshall DSL 401 might do the trick
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by Fender52604
awesome, thanks for the info everyone. i'll definitely be checking some amps out at guitar center this week!

Yer gonna get raped buying new. I would think a classic 30 or blues jr would suit you well. I found this near you.
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/msg/1088446658.html NOS Tweed Blues Jr, $400.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Yer gonna get raped buying new. I would think a classic 30 or blues jr would suit you well. I found this near you.
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/msg/1088446658.html NOS Tweed Blues Jr, $400.

you sir, are my hero.
Quote by wlcm2themachine

Quote by ChemicalFire

MY GEAR:
Quote by Fender52604
you sir, are my hero.

NAD thread when you get it, we luvz teh tweedz!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.