I have found detailed guides for almost every tuning, but I cant find one for open a. I know what I have to tune each string to, but which ones do I tighten and which ones do I loosen? And the D string need to be changed to E, how do I get it to that without snapping it?
you should definitely share these so called detailed guides of almost every tuning.

/im too lazy to find 'em myself

When it comes to that kinda tuning, unless you play some crazy ass genre, you down tune, so tune your D string waayyy down till it's E, ect.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
come on. google open a tuning, first result: http://www.tle.se/atune.html

Quote by Jesstaa

When it comes to that kinda tuning, unless you play some crazy ass genre, you down tune, so tune your D string waayyy down till it's E, ect.

I don't think so... You only have to tune it up one step, so it certainly shouldn't snap. D string going down almost an octave would lose all its tension
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
Last edited by MadMudgeN at Mar 22, 2009,
Ive looked for a long time, I dont want break a string again, so I dont want to play around with strings again without knowing exactly what to do.
Wait, the site told me to uptune, and someone else told me to downtune, what's right? Yesterday I tried dowtuning the 4th string, and by the time I got to E, I could not believe how loose it was....
and im trying to play Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes.
Hahahaha, i was searching "How to tune to open a tuning on guitar" and it came up with all kinds of stuff.
Should I be tuning to open a on acoustic, I just read that the neck can snap on an acoustic because the strings are thicker.
In order to tune down, you gotta use thicker strings. </obvious>
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo