I've played for a year and my basic beginner Strat isn't keeping up so i'm looking for a new axe. I've been looking for a while now and something has caught my eye.

* Classic Les Paul styling
* Fast neck with rosewood fretboard
* Tonewood body
* Single high-output humbucker pickup
* Volume/Tone knobs
* Stop Bar Tailpiece

The Epiphone Les Paul Junior. The person who offered me it is selling it very cheap and it's in mint condition. I play stuff like Avenged Sevenfold, System of a Down, Pantera etc. I have not gotten into soloing just yet so that's not a problem. Would anyone with experience with these guitars or someone with a basic knowledge on them please tell me if I will get much out of this guitar? Thanks.
What's your budget?

I wouldn't buy that guitar, only having a bridge pup is pretty limiting even though you'll be using it the most to play stuff like that. along with that, its a very low end guitar just like your starter strat, so you really won't be going up in quality, just sideways.
Quote by Andrew128900
What's your budget?

I wouldn't buy that guitar, only having a bridge pup is pretty limiting even though you'll be using it the most to play stuff like that. along with that, its a very low end guitar just like your starter strat, so you really won't be going up in quality, just sideways.

agreed.
███████████████████████████████████
after my first year playing i got my ESP... its been with me ever since.
look for something in the 300 dollar range..
Oh, forgot to ask, what amp do you have?

You can get a quality axe for $250 if you buy used, look around the local craigslist and such for some deals.
Quote by Andrew128900
Its a very low end guitar just like your starter strat, so you really won't be going up in quality, just sideways.

Exactly.
Could you give a name to both the amp and guitar?

If it really is a no name amp, I would pick up a roland microcube or cube 30 before getting a new guitar.
What does it say on the guitar's headstock?

I would recommend buying a new amp before a new guitar.
I would say get a better LP/something with mahogany body and HH PUP config. Then you'll have a wide range of tones possble through both your guitars.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Keep the guitar, it's good enough for now, go for a new amp. You'll notice a lotttt better tone.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. Burswood.

Haha sorry, didn't understand that you were referring to both the guitar and amp when you said it, though you were just talking about the amp.

For now, go with a new amp, for those genres, I would recommend a Roland Microcube or Cube 30.
I would recommend saving your money. Your not really going to have a great tone unless you spend over a thousand or so. What really matters at the point your at is learning how to play and the guitar you have is just as good as any other guitar you would get for that purpose. I wasted a lot of money on crappy gear and if I hadn't I would have been able to get really good gear a lot sooner.
Doesnt look to bad i recommend if you think your tone isnt quite good and its NOT your fault then amp. If you feel like your guitar doesnt feel nice sure why not get a new guitar.

If you buy a Amplifier which i strongly suggest you do:I would recommend for a Amp a Peavey Vypyr 15 or 30, Roland Cube or even a Vox Da and Valvetronix series like in the 15 watts.

For a guitar i would recommend some low end ibanez or a yamaha pacfica 112 as it seems you can only afford low end stuff you might as well get good low end stuff

I feel like i didnt make sense but screw it im sleepy
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Quote by SinisterStrieth
I've played for a year and my basic beginner Strat isn't keeping up so i'm looking for a new axe. I've been looking for a while now and something has caught my eye.

* Classic Les Paul styling
* Fast neck with rosewood fretboard
* Tonewood body
* Single high-output humbucker pickup
* Volume/Tone knobs
* Stop Bar Tailpiece

The Epiphone Les Paul Junior. The person who offered me it is selling it very cheap and it's in mint condition. I play stuff like Avenged Sevenfold, System of a Down, Pantera etc. I have not gotten into soloing just yet so that's not a problem. Would anyone with experience with these guitars or someone with a basic knowledge on them please tell me if I will get much out of this guitar? Thanks.

You just described myself 2 years ago sir. thats the guitar i started on and it did me well, played it with my first 3 bands and first 4 shows.

Sounds terribly stale and is not versatile at all.
But if set up properately it plas beautifully.
Quote by Felttoaster
Doesnt look to bad i recommend if you think your tone isnt quite good and its NOT your fault then amp. If you feel like your guitar doesnt feel nice sure why not get a new guitar.

If you buy a Amplifier which i strongly suggest you do:I would recommend for a Amp a Peavey Vypyr 15 or 30, Roland Cube or even a Vox Da and Valvetronix series like in the 15 watts.

For a guitar i would recommend some low end ibanez or a yamaha pacfica 112 as it seems you can only afford low end stuff you might as well get good low end stuff

I feel like i didnt make sense but screw it im sleepy

this dude knows his sh*t. I kinda know my sh*t. THe best you could do is getting either the roland 15 or the vypyr 15, but the vypyr is better IMO, so i reccomend that. For guitars, a low end Ibanez Gio will suit you great.

you could also sell your stuff for like 50 dollars ( you aing getting more, srsly), and get a somewhat better guitar, like an Agile LP.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by ldnovelo
this dude knows his sh*t. I kinda know my sh*t. THe best you could do is getting either the roland 15 or the vypyr 15, but the vypyr is better IMO, so i reccomend that. For guitars, a low end Ibanez Gio will suit you great.

you could also sell your stuff for like 50 dollars ( you aing getting more, srsly), and get a somewhat better guitar, like an Agile LP.

i know my ****
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
I'll second the Agile LP's even before an amp. Why? A new amp won't help your playing much but a decent guitar will. Then get a better amp and enjoy the better sound.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

^^^^ what he said, but instead of an agile lp, i have another suggestion

get an ibanez gio. i had a gsa60 it was my first guitar and ive been playing a year and 6 months and its still my favorite of my 3 guitars (the others being an epiphone dot and an epiphone sg/les paul custom) and you could get one used for very cheap
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
If I was you I'd go to my local store and try out everything they have in the $350 - $450 range, then when you know what you like start hunting for them in the second hand market within your budget.