I'm a beginner and have an AD15VT....which I like. I like to try to play classic metal like maiden, metallica, megadeth, motorhead, kix etc. Basically, it seems like JCM 800 based amp stuff (from what I know!).

I have 2 questions:
1) I know people liked the cube over the ad series for gain for metal. Does the new VT series tackle this better than the AD VT series?

2) Assuming the VT would be a better route, if I only play in my house at a low volume for fun when my family is asleep, should i lean toward the VT 15 or VT 30? I know the 15 is more than enough juice, but the 30 has a bigger speaker.....but will this matter at low volumes by myself.

Thanks.
1) I'd say the Cube is better for metal (I have an AD30) but for classic metal, the Vox seems to do ok, plus it's way better for other styles.
2) I'd say get a 30, because the VT has the attenuator so you can lower the volume while still cranking the amp.

However, the XL series is probably the best Vox amp for you because it's metal oriented.
Gear-
Cherry Epiphone SG Special
Vox AD30
Boss DS-1
meant the regular vox....not the xl. I don't like newer metal. Basically stuff I listed up to Slayer etc. Really, NWOBHM stuff though. Love the cleans on the AD15VT though for playing for my kids.
Even the VT15 will be too loud when the family is asleep. You can use the attenuator, but it will sound horrible. Turning it under 3/4 or so will make it unbearable to listen to. Just a muddy mess.
Quote by nonamesleftWTF
Even the VT15 will be too loud when the family is asleep. You can use the attenuator, but it will sound horrible. Turning it under 3/4 or so will make it unbearable to listen to. Just a muddy mess.

Thanks. Will hopefully try to listen to one this weekend, but does anyone have an opinion as to whether the gain on the new VT models is better than on the ADVT series.....or its the same with just more models? I know a lot of folks pointed to this in the Vox vs. Cube debate.

Thanks everyone.
Changing from the ADVT to the new VT isn't much of an upgrade. I personally didn't like the Marshall-esque sounds of the new VT, while I like those I can get out of an older AD.
Quote by nonamesleftWTF

I shouldn't think so. I turn the power down to <2 watts on mt AD100VT and it sounds pretty much the same.

Quote by Eddie NYC
Thanks. Will hopefully try to listen to one this weekend, but does anyone have an opinion as to whether the gain on the new VT models is better than on the ADVT series.....or its the same with just more models? I know a lot of folks pointed to this in the Vox vs. Cube debate.

They have more models and better modeling. Apparently the lower wattage ones don't need any of the 'fixes' used on the AD series amps too sound great.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain