So i am at a stand still with playing songs and yesterday i was told to work on my scales and picking speeds as i look at songs which are basically picking(which alot of rock and metal songs are) and i just get discouraged. so i was thinking about learning some scales and i learned the minor pentatonic scale and now i would like to learn some more. can you guys give me some more to move on with.

thanks
Now learn the 5 Major Pentatonics?
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
So i am at a stand still with playing songs and yesterday i was told to work on my scales and picking speeds as i look at songs which are basically picking(which alot of rock and metal songs are) and i just get discouraged. so i was thinking about learning some scales and i learned the minor pentatonic scale and now i would like to learn some more. can you guys give me some more to move on with.

thanks

There's no such thing as a beginner scale - a scale is a scale. They have no inherent "difficulty", you can be as simple or as complex with them as you like. If you want to learn theory then start with the major scale, but if you want to improve your speed then you need to look elsewhere.

Scales don't make you play any faster, they're no more or less beneficial than anything else you play. Obviously if you spend day after day grinding the same scale pattern then you'll get faster at playing that scale but that's all, it won't make you a better guitarist or have much effect on your overall ability.

If you want to get faster then you need to forget about speed and instead concentrate on playing accurately and in a controlled manner, anytime you start playing sloppy and messing up that means you're going too fast.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
no, the first scale you should learn is the major scale in all 5 positions. Not to explain now but do it in the key of G
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads