I'm really stuck on how to properly use a metronome. :/ sounds kinda redundant but, how do I properly use one? How do you determine the time signature by just listening to the song? I know the basic theory, the significance of different notes (eight notes, quarter notes, etc.) but how do I apply it to the metronome?!

The song I'm trying to play along with a metronome is Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson, but I failed. lol.
=D
There's a neat trick if you know sheet music, however, I don't know how to explain it very well so I'll leave you with this.

16th notes = 4 notes per beat
Triplets = 3 notes per beat
8th notes = 2 notes per beat
quarter notes = 1 notes per beat
Half notes = 1/2 notes per beat
Whole notes = 1/4 notes per beat
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
How do I set the metronome when Q . (dotted) = 134 in an 12/8 beat?
Is it 134 x 1.5 = 201
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by 08L1V10N
How do I set the metronome when Q . (dotted) = 134 in an 12/8 beat?
Is it 134 x 1.5 = 201

No, if you wanted it to click on all 12 beats, you'd do 134 x 3 (since a dotted quarter is equal to three eighth notes).

However, it would be WAAAAAY easier to just set the metronome to 134 and play three notes per click.