I dont know what to learn.I know about 3 open chords.I know the pentatonic scale.
Thats about it.

I try to read up on modes many times on different articles,but i theres soo much i dont understand,and it gives me a headache.

is there like a list of stuff which you learn like in order?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503032

Start with that. You are not ready for modes yet, because that would be skipping over much more important stuff like the major scale in general and intervals.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
try looking for Cm, or any of those complicated jazz chords
id start off easy, say with some 5 string sweeps, then maybe a few tapping licks, and then thow in some alternate picking and pick a simple song like....eh cliffs of dover to learn.

but seriously, just learn chords first. especially are your barre chords. and with barre chords you just have to learn the shapes, then you can move them up and down the neck as you need. i wouldnt worry about modes yet, you have to know scales for modes to even make sense.
Microsoft Works...there's and oxymoron for you.
Just learn typical simple songs that everyone starts on i.e. Smoke on the Water, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Iron Man, Through Fire and Flames, Scarified, For The Love of God, Sequoia Throne.....jk lol. Focus on learning basic chords and your right hand on rhythms though seriously
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Quote by EMGs_rule
Quote by jgbsmith
why would you want to put the bitrate down?
to make it smaller without hearing any change in quality that the human ear can detect?
Does not compute for the audiophile

Follow me on Twitter...or else!
I can play a bunch of songs.Im not that bad in like playing some stuff,but playing theory-wise really horrible.

@bshizzle911
Thanks for the link.
Last edited by RYANQUAY at Mar 23, 2009,
Record yourself playing those songs and perfect them
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by RYANQUAY
I dont know what to learn.I know about 3 open chords.I know the pentatonic scale.
Thats about it.

I try to read up on modes many times on different articles,but i theres soo much i dont understand,and it gives me a headache.

You don't need to worry about modes yet and won't need to for a long time. Learn more chords and more songs that use them, and focus on improving your basic technique....accuracy, control, ability to play in time etc. If you want to learn a bit of theory that's great, but there's no point spamming your head with random knowledge you can't fully use or understand yet. Just learn the bits of theory that apply to the stuff you already know - so start learning the notes on the fretboard, then learn the basics of the major scale and chord construction, that's more than enough to be getting on with.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You don't need to worry about modes yet and won't need to for a long time. Learn more chords and more songs that use them, and focus on improving your basic technique....accuracy, control, ability to play in time etc. If you want to learn a bit of theory that's great, but there's no point spamming your head with random knowledge you can't fully use or understand yet. Just learn the bits of theory that apply to the stuff you already know - so start learning the notes on the fretboard, then learn the basics of the major scale and chord construction, that's more than enough to be getting on with.

Seagull wins again.
Quote by werty22
Somebody wants to get sigged.

No. I've said things like that countless times before. If people consistently give out correct information, they deserve to get credit for doing so.
Quote by steven seagull

Ok,but how do i learn chords? there are like soo many.

Also how would chords help my playing?I dont learn any chords,i usually just learn the song straight away.

I tried reading some stuff,what exactly is a major scale?what is the purpose of learning the major scale?
If its a C major scale,isnt the notes like CDEFGAB
If its a D major scale,the notes are D E F# G A B C#?
But thats like key signatures right?

I need to LEVEL UP playing wise.HELP!!!
Last edited by RYANQUAY at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by RYANQUAY

Also how would chords help my playing?I dont learn any chords,i usually just learn the song straight away.

I tried reading some stuff,what exactly is a major scale?what is the purpose of learning the major scale?

What do you want to achieve musically?

There's no absolute "level up". It just depends on what you wanna learn.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
level up?

dude you're lookin at it like it's a RPG ? drop that idea.

NOW!

learning chords WILL improve your playing, if give you go jamming with someone they'll just name a bunch of chords and play over it. You're supposed to know what chords they are, how to play them etc etc. So learn your chords (besides, it helps getting your hand flexible :P )

also, learn more songs that you like (I can give you recomendations but I have no idea what genre you play). Once you know more songs, and you want to give solo tracks a go, then go do that :P.

^^^ by then you'll probably want to learn on progression (like a phrygian, major, lydian etc etc) but don't worry bout that now :P

so, long story short: learn more songs and chords for now, and things 'll become clear over time (or you can come back and ask again :P )

quick example (correct me if I'm wrong guys, I'm not exactly a theory nerd)

Quote by RYANQUAY

if you're playing a D major progression you're using the next chords for rhythm (or some of them, not all. Again, I'm not so sure on my progression knowledge): D E F# G A B C#

if you're soloing on the D major scale, you're using the next notes for the solo: D E F# G A B C#

tadaa.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Mar 24, 2009,
When i go jamming we only play songs.
What are solo tracks?

do all songs have chords?like e.g black dog

''if you're playing a D major progression you're using the next chords for rhythm (or some of them, not all. Again, I'm not so sure on my progression knowledge): D E F# G A B C#
if you're soloing on the D major scale, you're using the next notes for the solo: D E F# G A B C#''

Sorry, I didnt understand this at all.Wait,playing D major scale is the same as playing D major pentatonic?
Or maybe the notes used are the same but the pattern is different?

Sorry,i kinda need things to be explained in 'idoit' terms.

Anyways,yes i need to level up,once you learn how to apply it, more knowledge=more POWER.
Last edited by RYANQUAY at Mar 24, 2009,
Every guitar song has chords - they may not always look like chords, and sometimes they're only inmplied. However, the fact of the matter is that chords and chord shapes permeate every aspect of guitar music...they're what the isntrument was desgined round after all, and you will use them and refer to them constantly whether you're playing the simplest of rhythm parts or the most complex of lead lines.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by RYANQUAY
When i go jamming we only play songs.
What are solo tracks?

do all songs have chords?like e.g black dog

''if you're playing a D major progression you're using the next chords for rhythm (or some of them, not all. Again, I'm not so sure on my progression knowledge): D E F# G A B C#
if you're soloing on the D major scale, you're using the next notes for the solo: D E F# G A B C#''

Sorry, I didnt understand this at all.Wait,playing D major scale is the same as playing D major pentatonic?
Or maybe the notes used are the same but the pattern is different?

Sorry,i kinda need things to be explained in 'idoit' terms.

Anyways,yes i need to level up,once you learn how to apply it, more knowledge=more POWER.

You want to learn everything randomly.

If you do this you will get gaps everywhere in ur knowledge.

Start learning music theory from the basics.

This is not a videogame where you can enter a cheat to get where you want.

In "idiot" terms. You want to build a car, without knowing how to weld metal, or drawing a face without knowing how to draw a line.

Search for the Crusade Articles here on UG at the article sections and go through them.

You can't learn this in a day, it will take weeks, months etc.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by RYANQUAY

If you don't learn chords/scales you are severely limiting what you will be able to play - if you don't know chords you'll only even be able to play stuff that is fully tabbed out for you in advance, if you don't understand scales you'll struggle coming up with any solos/riffs/songs of your own.

To start learning chords don't try and learn them all at once - break them into groups.

Learn your open major and minor chords, then when you can comfortably play and change between open chords learn A & E shaped Maj and minor barre chords, then start looking at 7th chords, chord inversions, different shaped barre chords....but take a group at a time, and don't try and learn something new until you have that group down pat. And learn how chords are constructed - this will help you construct different chords all over the neck.

Scales help you identify what notes you can play in a given scenario, and know they will sound good. For example, if you have a C Major chord progression you know you can play a solo using the C Major scale, if you have a I IV V Blues progression in A min you can use the A min pentatonic.....

You need to know a bit of theory to understand how scales fit with chords - I suggest you take a look at the crusade articles.

There aren't really any short cuts to learning - if you try and miss out basics like learning chords and some basic theory you'll just hamper your progress in the long run.
Ok, i found the crusade,ill read up and then post on the stuff i dont get.

@zhilla
When do you know you have learnt enough chords and like move on to the next step?

thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.
Quote by RYANQUAY
Thats about it.

Don't learn modes. Instead, learn the major scale, more open chords, some basic theory, and learn some easy songs with the chords you know.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by RYANQUAY
Ok, i found the crusade,ill read up and then post on the stuff i dont get.

@zhilla
When do you know you have learnt enough chords and like move on to the next step?

thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.

There's no "next step".

You either "know" or you "don't know".

It's like saying "how much words do I need to learn" to move to the next step (in a language).

What do you wanna do with music? Like if you named something you want to achieve we can help you better.

If you for instance want to become a jazz guitarist, we can point out jazz theory you need to know.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by RYANQUAY
@zhilla
When you understand them well enough to work them out for yourself. Don't just learn how to play them - learn how to construct them.

But to start with just focus on open chords - A, E, C, G, D, Amin and Emin are probably going to be what you use most, so start with them. Learn one at a time, and practice it, then when you add a chord practice changing between that one and the ones you already know before you learn another.