Hi there, I have a problem and I figured I should ask the hive mind. I'm looking for ways to speed up my popping and slapping. Exercises, techniques, anything! I can't seem to go above my current speed and I'd like be able to put in triplets effectively.

I've seen people talking about double thumbing, double pluck but I can't find any good exercises (ChikenKannon: search engine inept).
Be Simple, Be Obvious, Be Happy
fast? well, the most efficient slap technique is basically- put your thumb parallel to the strings.

play like that. try it. you should be able to go faster exerting less energy.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Well I'm not looking for blitzing speeds I just can't seem to improve my speed at all (unlike my finger picking and regular picking). Any techniques would be great.
if you try the way I told you, and you practice, you will be a bit faster than you are. you won't be Les Claypool off the bat, I did tell you.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
if you try the way I told you, and you practice, you will be a bit faster than you are. you won't be Les Claypool off the bat, I did tell you.

Heh. Yeah. But a kid can dream, right?
No you cant. >

Also, yeah just practise and i don't see why you need that much speed, a good slap can get a hammer on and then a pull off and then a hammer on again, if you want blazing speeds, dump thump?
Left hand slaps also speed evreything up really fast, but you have to be effective in their using.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I know it sounds basic... but just play along to a metronome, Gradually build up speed until you are more confident. Speed is one of those things where you just have to give it time!
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by fatgoogle
Left hand slaps also speed evreything up really fast, but you have to be effective in their using.

THIS

When I play slap, I always refer to my techniques as ways of "cheating to sound faster than you are"

Because thats how I see it, left hand (or fret hand if we're being technical) slapping /muting is a very effective and easy way to seem very fast at slap.

Check out lacquerhead by Primus, espeially the breakdown after the first chorus to see what I mean. Start of slow, and build it up, took me months ot get consistent, but now I sound a lot faster, with less effort.

see, cheating
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"